Laundry Soap Recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-06-2003, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have recieved a few pm's about making your own laundry soap. So here is the info!!

Here is a link for laundry soap instructions. THese instructions will ONLY work for the Bean Tree Laundry Cubes. However it can be altered to use any soap. Some like Kirk's Coco Castille for this.
Laundry Soap Instructions

You Will Need:
One chunk of laundry soap (approx. 1.5 ounces)
One Cup of Super Washing Soda
Gallon Size Container
Stirring Spoon or Ladle

One gallon of water as hot as you can get it

Step One:
Fill container with HOT water, this water should be VERY hot. I usually boil a teapot to add to my hot tap water. Then add one cup of super washing soda and stir till completely dissolved.

Step Two:
now you will want to put your chunk of Bean Tree Laundry Soap into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for approximately 30 seconds. This should completely melt the soap.

Step Three:
Pour Melted Soap into hot water and stir well. That is IT. Wait 24 hours till the soap has cooled and it should be a gel. If you need to speed this up, put the container of soap in the fridge. This soap will keep indefinitely if stored in a container with a lid.

To Use:
Simply place desired amount (I use 8 ounces, some use less) in washing machine as you would regular detergent. This will not bubble as much which is better if you have a front loading machine

TO alter the recipe follow step 1.

Skip step 2 and instead:
Take 1.5 ounces of soap, grate it. Put in sauce pan and barely cover with water. Melt soap on low heat.

Once soap is melted follow the rest of the steps.

To find washing soda, look in the laundry section of your grocery. Arm and Hammer makes a name brand in thier yellow box. You can substitute borax (Yup 20 Mule Team) or baking soda. I have not found them to work as well as washing soda.

So what is washing soda? It is sodium carbonate with is just a little different from baking soda which is sodium BI-carbonate. I am looking into purchasing some wholesale and I will let any of you know if and when I do.

This will not always gel, in fact for some weird reason it separated on the last batch I made. I just stir the layers together.

be sure to add your favorite essential oils if you want!!!
I like to throw in a downy ball full of white vinegar to soften the laundry and then I put these clothes on the line and OHH they smell soo clean and not fake clean!!!

If anyone wants a free sample of a laundry cube, just send me a SASE with postage of 50 cents on the return envelope and I will mail ya one:
Bean Tree Soap
147 Winding Thyme Lane
Willacoochee Ga 31650
#2 of 13 Old 07-06-2003, 03:39 PM

Ok, I need to mail you. BUT...we have only used Dreft b/c my son has eczema and any other detergent causes a flare up. So...my Q is how gentle would this be? Weird question, I know, b/c I'm sure it's totally pure, but could anything about it be potentially irritating?

THANKS
#3 of 13 Old 07-06-2003, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I would use this over dreft. I cannot handle dreft with all of the perfumes!! YUCK!!

We could not use it. I had a sample in my propaganda packet from the hospital and so I bought a box of Dreft $$$$ and HATED the smell.

I would bet you that this stuff is much more skin friendly than Dreft.
#4 of 13 Old 07-06-2003, 04:41 PM

cool-i'll send out tomorrow
Dreft is just so darned expensive! Works, though. Finally figured out why ds' eczema was bad on t/th nights-because he had daycare and they use real detergents/softeners, etc. on his crib blanket
#5 of 13 Old 07-11-2003, 08:33 AM

I cant find washing soda anywhere!!! Ive looked at 2 walmarts, and 3 grocery stores and no one carries it: Can someone please tell me which store you buy it from?
#6 of 13 Old 07-11-2003, 07:03 PM

i think it must be a regional thing. washing soda is hard to find. in fact around here it is impossible.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#7 of 13 Old 07-11-2003, 07:12 PM

Thank you! Off to a certain website to purchase some laundry cubes
Now, where can I find a hige pickle jar (I'm not too keen on eating that many pickles) ?
#8 of 13 Old 07-12-2003, 01:23 AM

We also have the laundry recipe in the recipe sticky and hopefully we'll be able to add the picture's from Chanley's site very soon!

She has set up a wonderful resource that would be great for us to all learn from at her site

Soap making pics...
#9 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 01:02 AM

I use a similar recipe but use Dr. Bronner's bar soap (1/2 a bar at at time) and just grate it, then cover with water in a small saucepan and melt.

We found a great container to use ... it's a square plastic bucket-type thingy with a lid and a handle that's sold as a container that you can pour your powdered laundry detergent into. I think it came from Target.
#10 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 07:22 AM

Yeah, i've had good luck with the following soaps on this recipe:

Dr Bronners
Bean Tree
Earth Friendly Baby

The only one that flopped for us was a Brookside bar soap?

I even tried liquid bronners and it seemed to work fine, although it didn't gel at all...
#11 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 07:50 AM

Hey Groundhog, you live in Maryland--where do you buy washing soda? I live in So. Maryland about 20 min. north of Point Lookout and cant find it anywhere. And thanks for the sharing the Dr.B's recipe, I was just wondering about that yesterday. Have you ever tried washing diapers with it?

Has anyone ever tried washing diapers with the bean tree recipe? How well did it work?
#12 of 13 Old 07-16-2003, 12:13 AM

I've found washing soda at either Giant or Safeway ( I can never remember where I got it last time, and then have to make several trips when I run out!). I'm in Carroll County, if that makes a difference.

I've never washed diapers with this recipe as we failed miserably at cloth diapering after about 4 months and that was long before I learned to make laundry soap. I do know that the person who gave me this recipe has used it for diapers, though I don't know if she did anything else to them first.

I have always used Dr. Bronner's soap because I couldn't find Kirk's. Until today!!! I found Kirk's at Trader Joe's in Towson ... 3 bars for $1.89. I can't wait to try it.
#13 of 13 Old 07-16-2003, 07:39 AM

Thanks! We do have a Giant down here in nowheresvile: so i'll have to check it out. I'm not sure where Carroll Co. is, we havent lived here long, but i live in St. Mary's. Trader Joes is about an hour from us I think, but it might as well be in another state 'cause loading up all my kids for a car trip just to get soap is not really an option. But thanks for the recipe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page