Constant breast tenderness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I couldn't think of a better forum to post this in so here goes.

I am not pg and AF is not due. This is something I have dealt with monthly since Christmas time. They do not hurt like they do when nursing or pg, but they are sore. My left breast is the more sore of the two. I do SBE's but I don't really know if what I'm doing is effective or if I need to get to my OB. My last annual exam was in April '06. I was waiting until the fall to get my annual but I'm thinking I should get in sooner if I can to see what could be causing the tenderness. Has anyone experienced this before (unrelated to AF or nursing or pg)? If so, what did you do about it?

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 AM

Caffeine and fat intake can aggravate breast tenderness in the second half of your cycle each month. My understanding is that cysts fill, causing swelling and tenderness. My step-daughter and I both have to be careful with caffeine.

Breast tenderness is a pretty common occurrence. If you are getting it in both breasts and it is waxing and waning with your cycle, you probably have no cause for serious concern. Not knowing what sources you are apt to trust, I'll take the liberty (below) of providing one "holistic" and one "mainstay" on possible causes and remedies:

From Mother Nature:
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/48/24.cfm

From the National Institute of Health:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003153.htm
#3 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 AM

I posted the same Q recently (no replies tho) my L breast is the sore one too. I have quit caffeine (I was a tea drinker) and taking Evening Primrose Oil its improved but not better. I am just finishing my period and no pain tho then it gradually builds up until the next period. I am still nursing and its better when she nurses.

Anyhow I was told it was fibrocystic breast disease a long time ago but have been worried lately it is something else too.

Who stole my signature!
#4 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 AM

You might try going without a bra. Bras, even pretty comfy non-underwire ones, generally restrict the flow of lymphatic fluid and can cause fibrocystic lumps and pain. I had pain and lumps in my armpits about a year ago which was really worrying me and it disappeared when I stopped wearing a bra. It took a little while to get used to, but it really did work.
#5 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh man - I've been on a roller coaster with my sore/lumpy breasts. I've had a couple mammograms, ultrasounds, exams etc... and there is nothing there. Breast pain is pretty common and like the PP said, it can be hormonal changes, related to diet etc.. It's not bad enough for me to give up caffeine. I really love coffee so I live with it. But, I have cut down on fat a bit and that seems to help.

The good news is that breast cancer rarely hurts. There is one form of inflammatory breast cancer that is very rare but it is painful but you also develop many other symptoms (sores on the breast, dishcarge etc..). Anyway, breast cancer rarely is painful and doesn't cause that aching/sore feeling. So, you're most likely dealing with fibrocycstic breasts/hormonal changes/dietary issues.

That being said, you really should have annual gym exams to include a breast exam. I'm not sure why you said you want to wait until the fall but since you were due for your annual exam back in April, I would go ahead and make your annual appointment and mention the breast tenderness to your dr. They will do a very thorough breast exam and will most likely talk to you about the most common causes of breast pain and tenderness - and it is very common.
#6 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You might try going without a bra. Bras, even pretty comfy non-underwire ones, generally restrict the flow of lymphatic fluid and can cause fibrocystic lumps and pain. I had pain and lumps in my armpits about a year ago which was really worrying me and it disappeared when I stopped wearing a bra. It took a little while to get used to, but it really did work.
sadly I have to agree. Since I started wearing underwire more my breasts ache, they don't hurt as much or at all with my non-underwire ones. I can't go braless though & I can't find any non-underwire ones in my size here. The ones I do have are floppy now.lol The pain is usually gone in the morning after not wearing one though not now as AF is due to arrive in a week or so.
#7 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I can't go braless though
Why not? I usually just wear a camisole under whatever regular shirt and it looks fine and is much more comfortable. If you buy close-fitting cotton/lycra ones, they also give some support but without the restriction and pressure points of a bra. Camisoles with shelf bras are also a good intermediate option. Even women with quite large breasts can find ways to be comfortable without, and the ligaments which support the breasts are likely to strengthen when a woman stops wearing bras (decreasing sagginess, if anything, rather than the myth that bras prevent sagging).

I firmly believe that no one should feel they "have" to wear a bra for propriety or whatever, and that it's healthier to go without, and that a lot of people who feel uncomfortable (including physically uncomfortable) without would actually get used to it pretty fast and find that it's much MORE comfortable.

Okay, off my
#8 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM

I don't feel comfortable going braless myself, I am 44 D lol I am actually also losing weight so thats is helping. I changed to a comfortable cotton nursing bra and its also helping.

Who stole my signature!
#9 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some people don't feel comfortable going braless. I don't think it's necessarily a sign that they are ruled by propriety. I know for me - and this is going to be TMI so watch out - but my nipples are very pointy. And, if I walk into an air conditioned office or some such - well, you get the picture. It's embarassing and uncomfortable for me to have my nipples poking out through my shirt so, although I don't need padding, I wear a lined bra to conceal this issue.
#10 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Some people don't feel comfortable going braless. I don't think it's necessarily a sign that they are ruled by propriety.
I didn't mean to suggest that - just that a lot of people who aren't comfortable either because of a sense that it's immodest OR because the physical sensation seems odd or a little uncomfortable initially would actually find it comfortable if they got used to it.

Quote:
I know for me - and this is going to be TMI so watch out - but my nipples are very pointy. And, if I walk into an air conditioned office or some such - well, you get the picture.
Mine too. But I never wore padded bras, which I find hideously uncomfortable (so hot!), so going braless is no big change. And this really IS an issue of propriety. We all have nipples, men too, but women in our society have learned that we are expected to conceal this fact -- not just to cover up our nipples (which is another issue) but to cover up all traces of their existence.
There are some situations (like, if I'm teaching) in which I make sure I wear a shirt that doesn't obviously show my nipples. Otherwise, who cares? If you look around at other women, you'll see the outline of lots of people's nipples. Your own are probably noticeable to you more than anyone else.

Anyway, I truly think people need to wear what they're comfortable with. I just wanted to point out some benefits to going without a bra and say that MOST people, if they give it a try, can do it comfortably and without making any big statement. I hadn't even thought of going braless as a solution to my lumpy breasts and discomfort until I saw someone else mention it on another board, so I in turn am mentioning it in case it's useful to someone else.

ETA: for anyone who might want more info and/or to read about others' experiences with bralessness (or brafreedom), there's a whole forum over here:
http://goingbraless.net/Forum/index.php
#11 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 04:20 PM

FBD can be caused by iodine deficiency. The following are some long but very informational videos.

http://curezone.com/ig/f.asp?f=1723

Here is a forum for iodine support. You can find links there...

http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815
#12 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 PM

yeah, look for a comfy bra and maybe that will help some.
my sis has had the same problem. will have to tell her about caffeine causeing tenderness.

::
#13 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavery View Post
I'm a DD-DDD. I don't think it would work. Mine aren't attached either. They hang low and wobble to and fro...so to speak. Although I have recently stopped wearing underwires, but to no relief. Oh, and : on the very sensitive nipples. Mine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalyst
Caffeine and fat intake can aggravate breast tenderness in the second half of your cycle each month. My understanding is that cysts fill, causing swelling and tenderness. My daughter and I both have to be careful with caffeine.

Breast tenderness is a pretty common occurrence. If you are getting it in both breasts and it is waxing and waning with your cycle, you probably have no cause for serious concern. Not knowing what sources you are apt to trust, I'll take the liberty (below) of providing one "holistic" and one "mainstay" on possible causes and remedies:

From Mother Nature:
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/48/24.cfm

From the National Institute of Health:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003153.htm
Thank you for this! I actually read your reply this morning before work and had a chance to check out the Mother Nature site. I didn't realize there was a link between tenderness and caffiene. I drink at least 1 diet Coke per day. Some days I don't have any at all, but I would say my total consumption a week is 4-5 cokes. It's worth it to me to stop the caffiene if it meant less sore boobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinye
no pain tho then it gradually builds up until the next period. I am still nursing and its better when she nurses.
That's the way mine is! I think I'll get relief when AF is gone but I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiechild
FBD can be caused by iodine deficiency. The following are some long but very informational videos.

Awesome! Thanks for the link. Hopefully I can get the issue narrowed down.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#14 of 18 Old 07-24-2007, 01:02 AM

Watch the caffeine intake for sure.

Going bra-less is a good idea for general health. I just wear a bra in public but around the house or in the winter under thicker clothing I wear a cami instead of a bra. Avoid underwires. Try lots of bras in different sizes. Not all bras are made equal. You do not want a bra that leaves deep marks in your body when you take it off.

Always always always go for your annual exam. Always. The one time my mom skipped was when she ended up being diagnosed with breast cancer. The 6 month delay of her annual exam cost her an extra bunch of rounds of chemo since things had progressed.
#15 of 18 Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Why not? I usually just wear a camisole under whatever regular shirt and it looks fine and is much more comfortable. If you buy close-fitting cotton/lycra ones, they also give some support but without the restriction and pressure points of a bra. Camisoles with shelf bras are also a good intermediate option. Even women with quite large breasts can find ways to be comfortable without, and the ligaments which support the breasts are likely to strengthen when a woman stops wearing bras (decreasing sagginess, if anything, rather than the myth that bras prevent sagging).
I am a 36 DD/DDD. My breasts sag alot, just about to my belly button. When I am not wearing a bra I slouch alot becuase of the weight of them.

Shelf bra's do NOTHING for large chestest women. I have 1 shirt my mom bought me that has a shelf bra, I can't wear it because the line of the bottom of it is halfway down my breasts when wearing a bra.

camisoles will NOT hold my breasts.

No close fitting/lycra shirts do NOT provide any support, especially since they have Lycra & STRETCH.

May I ask what size your breasts are, no offense but IME those who make suggestions & comments like these are people who do not have large sagging breasts?

Going braless is not going to strengthen any ligaments enough to decrease sagginess.
#16 of 18 Old 07-26-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiechild View Post

I have to second this recommendation. Iodine deficiency is a huge problem in the US, and seems to be a major factor in breast cancer and fibrocystic breast disease among other things. Check out www.iodine4health.com for more information too.

And http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/videos/
for an interesting video on iodine and breast cancer - scroll down to the David Brownstein, MD Video Links.

I've been supplementing with Lugol's Iodine Solution for a little over a month and it has made a huge difference. No more breast tenderness, almost no pain and cramping with my periods, less fatigue, no sugar cravings, and my skin, hair and body composition are improving.

Also... I switched to this underwire free bra at the beginning of the year, and I absolutely love it!! It really is the most comfortable bra you'll ever wear:

http://www.silkies.com/itemdy00.asp?...BR&Cat=SS10240

It has enough support for me, and is soooo comfortable I could even sleep in it if I wanted too. I think my posture is better too as it seems to distribute the load better, so to speak.

It looks just like this more expensive one that was apparently featured on Good Morning America and The View:

http://www.barenecessities.com/Sassy...R01_,size,.htm

I'll never go back to wearing underwire bras, that's for sure.

The only thing I miss is the lining in my underwire bra because I also have nipple show through issues. I've been wondering if nursing pads would help with that and look okay under knit t-shirts?

Edited to Add - I was wearing a 38D, although I think that may have been the wrong size. I may be more like a 36DD. But the Silkies bra in an extra large works well for me. I'm not sure if the large would fit me at this point, but sometimes a slightly smaller size in a stretchy bra gives you a little more support. It doesn't lift my breast way up like a push up bra and I wouldn't run in it, but for a general everyday bra, I think it's fantastic.
#17 of 18 Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 AM

Wow thanks for the great info, I have stopped wearing underwire bras a while ago then resumed recently but have stopped again. I for sure will check out the bra links and the iodine links too.

Who stole my signature!
#18 of 18 Old 07-27-2007, 02:27 PM

Ooh, that Silkies bra looks niiiiice! Thanks for the link!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page