Okay honey-washing gurus, here's a question for ya...
I recently "upgraded" to a new bottle of raw organic honey. I think it's unfiltered and isn't liquid-y like ones I've used before.
Several days after starting the new bottle, I've gotten a stye in each eye. One was progressing to cellulitis with enlarged lymph nodes and I had to start antibiotics. :
However, I've also got some other skin issues going on (perioral and periocular dermatitis - cause unknown). So I'm trying to use the most gentle cleansing methods available to keep inflammation down.
Do you think the honey could be contributing to the eye infections? Or is something else going on? Wah - this sucks.
*Most* bacteria can't grow in honey because of it's low water activity. Bacteria that drop into honey give up their water and die. Also, there's a hydrogen peroxide effect with honey that's not bacteria friendly.
That said, a few things can survive in honey. For example, dormant botulinum endospores. Normal, adult stomach acids take care of those endospores. But, children not yet on solid food don't have enough stomach acid and ingestion of the endospores can lead to botulism.
I would toss what you are using now, if you've possibly transferred contamination from you to the honey - just to be on the safe side. And, if you have concerns, you can buy a pasturized honey - though, even pasturization won't kill boltulim. There is a difference between honeys too - some are more antibacterial than others, depending on what the bees were eating. But, all-in-all, it is not likely the honey caused your infection.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 20.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.