Mothering Forum banner

Hardwood floors?

821 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jamesong5 
#1 ·
We just put hardwood floors down and have never had them before just wondering what is the best way to clean them? I've bought all kinds of stuff in the store but it is all harsh or smelly and leaves a funny film on the floors.
:
I love my floors but I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't make a mistake.

Thanks
Tina

See less See more
#2 ·
Hardwood floors are wonderful! I have them throughout my house as does my MIL. My MIL swears by using just warm water on her floors as was suggested by the guy who refinished hers. I use Method wood floor cleaner with a chamois on mine and it doesn't leave a residue. I avoid Murphy's Oil Soap because it leaves a sticky film and the smell makes me feel queezy.

Both of us use a Swiffer cloth or a chamois for dusting.

Btw, I love your daughter's name..Myra...that's my baby sister's name.

#3 ·
We just replaced all the carpet on the first floor of our house with harwood and I love it! (actually less expensive than cheap carpet for us)

I use hot water and a splash of white vineager. I find getting down on the floor and doing it by hand gets the floors much cleaning than when I use a mop.

#4 ·
what kind of finish do you have on your floors? if it's polyurethane i don't think you need to do much besides sweep or dry mop. if something spills you can always wipe it up with a rag or mop dampened with a little warm soapy water. i don't think anything more is necessary. wood and water are not a good mix. you want to avoid getting the floor wet.

here are a few links...

http://www.woodfloordoctor.com/_how_...cleanpt1.shtml
http://www.wfca.org/hardwood/care.aspx

we've had ours for 6 years and i've always just swept and vacuumed them. i will occasionally need to wipe up something gross like dog vomit, but i haven't mopped the whole floor. i really like how they stay so much cleaner than carpets. they just don't trap junk link the carpet did. i think they look fine although we do have two dogs and two kids. they're not pristine anymore (dog toenail scratches/dents), but the finish is polyurethane and pretty hard and hasn't actually come off anywhere
. they just have a few not very noticeable dents from dog toes, etc.

#5 ·
You really shouldn't use water on real hardwood floors. If they're laminate, I think it's fine but I wouldn't use water if they're real hardwood, not matter what the finish. As the PP mentioned, water and wood don't mix.

When we had our wood floors refinished the guy told us to vaccuum/dust mop regularly, spot clean with a damp cloth as needed and if absolutely necessary, mop with a barely damp mop but only rarely and only with water.

#6 ·
We have real, finished-in-place, hard-wood floors in the downstairs of our house. In the kitchen it is impossible to prevent spills and drips. When this happens, I clean on hands and knees with a damp sponge and maybe a splash of vineger. I think too much vineger can dull the floors. For regular dirt, I just vacuum and swiffer
:

hth

#7 ·
I know mine are Kentucky Hardwood brand flooring and they are prefinished but I'm sure with what I will see if there is anything on the boxes. We didn't buy it from a store a friend of ours bought a flooring store and all the inventory when they went out of business so I didn't get to talk to any salesmen.

Thanks for the ideas. Mine I sweep them but because of the kids and the sippys(i run a daycare) looks like they need mopped or something everyday.

Tina

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.