Mothering Forum banner

curly hair frizz mop seeks curly hair shiny mop...

666 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  babybugmama 
#1 ·
Okay, I've been to the curly girl website and I just don't have enough time to look around really. So, I'm going to try a shortcut...

I've determined my hair is a 3B. I just got my hair cut today for the first time in 7 months and the salonist actually commented that my hair was getting curlier! (when I was little my hair was bone straight and very shiny) I love my curls. But (!) I am hating the frizz. My hair just seems to be getting coarser and coarser and looking it too. No real shine. Currently I use a shampoo bar from chagrinvalley.com.

I really don't want to use commercial conditioners. I want to keep it as natural as possible...like essential oils, jojoba oil, etc.

So given that...does anyone have some ideas about what to do with my hair?

#2 ·
With natural shampoo bars and soaps, you need a vinegar rinse to make sure the soap doesn't dry out your hair, leave deposits or soap scum, and you need to restore the pH of hair so that it doesn't get damaged. That should take care of the shininess and moisture. If you need to add a little extra moisture, add about 20 drops (or half capful) of lavender essential oil to a small spray bottle (travel size spray bottle, holds about a cup or so of liquid). Spray that on wet hair and dry and style hair as usual. Try not to put too much ACV or oily stuff on roots of hair.

Need more moisture? - mix some silicone free conditioner after rinsing with ACV (or mix it in your hand together and put it on ends). You can also add a drop of some jojoba oil (or coconut oil) when your hair is mostly dry.

#4 ·
If your hair is gloppy for any reason, you may have leftover product buildup in it, or your ACV strength isn't enough (try 50/50 or higher). If you used shine enhancing products before (with silicone) - things like Garnier Fructise, Frizz-Ease, or Pantene, the glop is the silicone trying to come out. ACV sometimes softens those silicones and you are left with a gluey mess. These pld silicone residues can dry out your hair and make it look dull.

You may need some shampoo without silicone to get that stuff out (use a hefty pinch of baking soda to help it become a cleansing shampoo). After that you can use your normal stuff.

If it's not silicones and you didn't use enough ACV - natural soap has glycerine and some extra oils added to it that can create a film on hair. That could account for gloppiness too if it's not rinsed out properly. If you use ACV (or lemon juice, that's fine too) - try using your fingers to scrub it out, don't just rinse.

#5 ·
Since I haven't used product in my hair for over a year (and even then I only used shampoo and conditioner - nothing else) ...I've been no poo or shampoo bar for a looong time. When I used bs the lemon juice would work. I stopped using the bs because my hairs' needs seemed to change so frequently. One day I would need a denser bs wash others that would dry my hair out. So I switched to a shampoo bar which seemed to keep things more even keeled.

I will try the lemon juice rinse. I just wet it down today - doesn't need washed yet. I did use a little jojoba oil to try and control the frizzies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.