Where to buy Henna? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-16-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom is starting to develop sensitivities to hair dye. I've heard about Henna, and that's pretty much been the extent of it. Where is the best, cheapest place to buy them? TIA!

~Katie
#2 of 13 Old 08-16-2007, 08:02 PM

www.hennaforhair.com is excellent but not the cheapest. beware of cheap adulterated henna, make sure you get 100% henna or you can get green results
#3 of 13 Old 08-16-2007, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used Hennalucent before my hair went completely white.

There is a clear hennalucent that is colorless. It gives your hair body that is unbelieveable and wonderful! It lasts 6-8 weeks. Great.
#4 of 13 Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 PM

Check out the henna tribe linked in my sig. I buy mine from Henna Muse. Her prices are reasonable and her shipping is fast.

If your mother has sensitivity to hair dye, she should make sure it is 100% pure henna, as prairiechild stated. There's an ingredient in some adulterated hennas that can cause a serious reaction in people who are sensitive to hair dye. It can cause serious skin problems or worse. Pure henna won't do that.
#5 of 13 Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 PM

If your city has any kind of an Indian population, try visiting an Indian/Pakistani/Asian grocery store. They always have henna (which is where it's from).

Also, just because something is natural and herbal, doesn't mean somebody won't be sensitive to it. Do a skin patch in an inconspicuous area first.
#6 of 13 Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 PM

I would personally not use the stuff from the stores. Many of those brands have added ingredients that can cause problems, plus the stuff is usually not very fresh.

There are people allergic to pure henna but not many.
#7 of 13 Old 08-17-2007, 09:27 AM

www.lush.com

They have quite a few henna selections. It is called Ca-Ca for hair. LOL!
#8 of 13 Old 08-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
I would personally not use the stuff from the stores. Many of those brands have added ingredients that can cause problems, plus the stuff is usually not very fresh.

There are people allergic to pure henna but not many.
ITA, don't use a box mix. Hennaforhair's shop and Henna Sooq are where I get my henna. Stick with BAQ (body art quality) and do a strand test first to see if the color is what you want. I personally use a mix of henna, indigo and amla to get a rich brown. You can get recipes for mixes here. Good luck!
#9 of 13 Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 PM

I dye my hair black with henna and indigo from http://www.mehandi.com/ which is linked on Henna For Hair. The quality and customer service makes it well worth the price. Catherine, the site owner, is awesome and my hair looks great!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#10 of 13 Old 08-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
I dye my hair black with henna and indigo from http://www.mehandi.com/ which is linked on Henna For Hair. The quality and customer service makes it well worth the price. Catherine, the site owner, is awesome and my hair looks great!

that's where I get mine from. I have terrible reactions to hari dye (and most shampoos), but knock on woodm I've had good luck with the henna. I actually have to get some more soon.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#11 of 13 Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone! I read up on all the stuff, and I'm ready to dye MY hair now! They look soooo pretty!!!!!

~Katie
#12 of 13 Old 08-21-2007, 03:41 PM

Henna is amazing and like others here, I order from Catherine. The process of prep and application takes some getting used to, but is so worth it.
#13 of 13 Old 08-25-2007, 01:56 AM

I have had the best results with "body art" quality henna and indigo from mehandi.com too. Catherine has all the info you need on using henna at hennaforhair.

Henna gives me long lasting complete coverage on my chemical dye resistant gray hair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page