How do I "bleach" a moldy Brita pitcher - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We filter our tap water through a Brita filter pitcher. Every time I change the charcoal filter I hand wash all the pitcher parts in warm, sudsy water. But that only happens every couple months and now there is moldy funk living in cracks and crevices and on the rims (not in the actual pitcher or the filtering well, but nearby).

It is kind scary looking. My DH is grossed out and says he is going to bleach it if I don't do something. I told him that even if the mold touched the drinking water, which it doesn't, the water gets filtered through charcoal. I really don't like bleach; he might as well throw it out if he bleaches it, because I'll never drink from it again.

Any ideas what I can do to get rid of stubborn mold on plastic? Do you think Borax on a toothbrush will make a difference? TIA.
#2 of 10 Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 PM

I run ours through the dishwasher.

-Angela
#3 of 10 Old 08-29-2007, 08:02 PM

How old is it? We had one that was about 7 or 8 years old and it had gotten stained all around the rough edges of the lid. At least I assumed it was stained. My dh is super paranoid about mold and I'm pretty sure he tried bleaching it at one point ( : ) and determined it was stained.
#4 of 10 Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would start by just doing a thorough cleaning- through the dishwasher is a good start if you have one, scrub it down with a toothbrush if you don't have a dishwasher or you're not happy with how clean it got in the dishwasher. Some of the "moldy spots" might come clean with some baking soda and elbow grease.

THEN, I'd try soaking it in oxygen bleach or hydrogen peroxide after doing the thorough scrubbing. Then I'd scrub again if necessary.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#5 of 10 Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 PM

Replace.

Cracks are places for bacteria to lurk. There is no way to ensure that is safe.

A.
#6 of 10 Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 PM

Yeah, we opted for the Brita faucet attachment after I read an article about what grows in the unchlorinated water that sits in the fridge pitcher : Not that weird stuff can't grow on the faucet thingie too, but IMO it's easier to clean and less plastic to replace.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#7 of 10 Old 08-30-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Great suggestions, y'all. I appreciate it. I might even get a new faucet thingie out of this...
#8 of 10 Old 09-03-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
Yeah, we opted for the Brita faucet attachment after I read an article about what grows in the unchlorinated water that sits in the fridge pitcher : Not that weird stuff can't grow on the faucet thingie too, but IMO it's easier to clean and less plastic to replace.
Do you have a link, perchance?

I have a filter pitcher, so now I'm filled with dread.

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#9 of 10 Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 PM

If the pitcher is cracked replace it otherwise soak in peroxide and wash well. You shouldn't have a problem with gross stuff growing in the water if the water is circulated frequently. Ours is usually fresh water everynight. If the water starts to get older you can water plants with it.

I use the pitcher since I love cold water so I would just be filtering it to a pitcher to put in the fridge.
#10 of 10 Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsoSarah View Post
Do you have a link, perchance?

I have a filter pitcher, so now I'm filled with dread.

alsoSarah
I checked in Medline and found one article from 1996 about Brita pitchers. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

It said that the bacterial count is higher in filtered water left at room temp or in the refrig. They said it's because the filter is contaminated though...ie, the water is getting contaminated as it runs through the filter. They checked new filters and found that 5 of 13 NEW filters were contaminated.

They didn't talk about the on the faucet kind but if the filter is contaminated, I would think that kind of filter would be too. But if you have the faucet kind and you are filtering a glass of water and drinking it right away, the bacteria wouldn't have time to multiply. So maybe those of us with pitchers should just filter a day's worth of water at a time?

Our kitchen sink is one of those where you pull out the faucet for the sprayer so I don't think we could have a filter on it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page