The Aveda smell...what the heck is in it? Essential oil experts, help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know different Aveda products have different stuff but there's definitely the same stuff in most of them (I think!) I am not that crazy for most Aveda products but I do like the smell. My chiro said most have lavender and ylang ylang but there's at least one other smell in most of the products. Any ideas? TIA!
#2 of 39 Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 PM

rosemary?
#3 of 39 Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, that might be it! You were so quick, thanks!

Curious to see what others say too. Then I will go play chemist.
#4 of 39 Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 PM

ftr, my best friend is a hair stylist and she went to the aveda institute in chicago. she says the products are terrible and also filled with chemicals and only masked with herbs and essential oil smells.

DS 5-11-06
#5 of 39 Old 09-06-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
ftr, my best friend is a hair stylist and she went to the aveda institute in chicago. she says the products are terrible and also filled with chemicals and only masked with herbs and essential oil smells.
That's why I don't use them...they are fakey natural. But the smell is good, if a little strong. My roommate went to the Aveda Institute in Mpls and she said the same thing about the chemicals!
#6 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 AM

i asked once when i was at the store -- i think it was for the confixor gel or for the self-control styling product (both smell super good and i miss using them). anyway, i told her i was allergic to something and she basically told me the essential oils were XX, XX and XX. i wrote them down somewhere and have yet to find them... that was 5 years ago! sorry. maybe you could try the same approach to find out what the oils are. good luck!

(I REMEMBER! i do remember that ylang-ylang was one of them. and i think rose was another, which surprised me because i don't usually like the EO rose. if i can think of the other, i will post it.)
#7 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

D'oh! I should call my old roommate. Gosh, I'm clever sometimes!

Rose, huh, interesting.

I am totally gonna play chemist...with the testers at my co-op because I don't have all these EOs! LOL.
#8 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 03:56 AM

According to Aveda :

lavender, ylang-ylang, bergamot, rosemary, peppermint, and orange.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of their Shampure. It's a candle now...yummy!!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#9 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 AM

I walk in there and I smell a lot of natural peppermint and yeah, rosemary smells. It's very fresh smelling.
#10 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 04:12 PM

They are full of chemicals? I think there website says they are 98% natural. That sucks, because I, too, love the smell of Aveda stuff!!!
#11 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 04:22 PM

I'm guessing that the 2% is chemicals that actually do what the product is supposed to do, like clean, tone, be a shampoo etc. I'm guessing Aveda is probably one of the pioneers in the natural products arena, before all the other companies have popped up with their own natural (and often organic) products, and though it's not completely natural, it's good enough for most people and at least it works. Honestly, how many of us can say our all-edible, all-natural stuff we make at home works super duper, smells good, and actually has a shelf life more than a week without getting bacteria in it?

And yes, people can be allergic to anything, especially natural essential oils and botanical chemicals. Some of the reason why commercial products went non-natural to START with is to get rid of some of the allergies and to keep costs down.
#12 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
They are full of chemicals? I think there website says they are 98% natural. That sucks, because I, too, love the smell of Aveda stuff!!!
I do love the smell and use some of the products because I like the way they work for my hair, but nope, they're not natural. Their use of the word "natural" annoys me a bit, their ingredients lists are far from the pure earth-derived EO and natural soap that they'd like you to think they are. Their ratings on EWG's database aren't horrible but they're not stellar, either.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#13 of 39 Old 09-07-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the input. I will keep seeking that nice Aveda smell.

I don't have a problem with Aveda per se, but for that price I think there are equally good or better products. I used to use the shampoo and conditioner with color tint and I loved it. I'm just too cheap to spend that much all the time!
#14 of 39 Old 09-08-2007, 12:24 AM

I HEART Aveda products. But now that I SAH I can't afford them They do have a distinct smell. I now buy Burt's Bees.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#15 of 39 Old 09-10-2007, 01:56 PM

I love the smell too but they always dried out my hair big time......
#16 of 39 Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM

I love Aveda but we are on an uber tight budget, and I have to find something else...perhaps burts bees liek another poster said. My mom use to always wear Aveda and I loved to sneak a sniff b/c I loved the smell!!

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#17 of 39 Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 AM

i like the aveda pure privelidge thing where you can earn points (and sometimes double points) and then get free stuff like Seventh Generation products

::
#18 of 39 Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 PM

For those who love the Aveda smell but not the price, I found that Aura brand shampoo smells JUST JUST JUST like it! It's the one named "Organic". I found it at a local beauty supply store for 10 bucks for a HUGE bottle. The only difference is that it's not as thick as the Aveda.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#19 of 39 Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Mmmmm, I love that Aveda smell too. I used to work in the mall, and when the girl that worked in Aveda would walk past me to use the bathroom I would just stand behind her and breathe in her lovely wafting scent.
#20 of 39 Old 09-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrop View Post
Mmmmm, I love that Aveda smell too. I used to work in the mall, and when the girl that worked in Aveda would walk past me to use the bathroom I would just stand behind her and breathe in her lovely wafting scent.
That is TOO FUNNY!!!
#21 of 39 Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM

So, has anyone made their own Aveda scented products? I would love to know!
#22 of 39 Old 07-31-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have not had any luck! I made some nice creations but nothing that comes close!
#23 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 AM

I worked at Aveda Concept salons. I love the company and their products. Clients either loved the product, or say they can't stand the smell. The person who says they can't stand the smell usually is used to the smell of synthetic products and not the natural, essential oil based products. Aveda recommends All Sensitive line for transitioning form synthetic to natural product to give a break, and let your nose to sensitize again. You need to use a very little amount, and by the time you are done with your first bottle of All Sensitive shampoo or skin care, you'll start to really hate synthetic products, especially synthetic perfume
#24 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 AM

I think that the "distinct smell" is definitely a base of licorice with other topnotes. At first I found it interesting, but ever since my two pregnancies, I find it nauseating. I never quite recovered my "like" for the scent.
#25 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 12:53 AM

I love the Aveda smell too, But not on my budget. Anything compairable? I know that is a long stretch.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#26 of 39 Old 08-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenerationx View Post
So, has anyone made their own Aveda scented products? I would love to know!

i have... but it isnt aveda. its an aveda like smell. i made some hair serum, perfume, incense, etc. for my bff for her birthday. it worked out really well if i do say myself... now i have to go find the recipe again.

i do really love the smell, its fantastic but the stuff is filled with chemicals.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#27 of 39 Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 PM

Aveda like smell works for me! If you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe, I would love it.
#28 of 39 Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM

ps to all the chemical comments...i loved them too until i found out more about the specific chemicals and starting reading my labels...the website says that all new products will no longer have parabens but they arent pulling the old ones that due....a step in the right direction but a long way to go....
#29 of 39 Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Slightly OT...
I'm a salon owner and industry educator for a company that only makes chemichal laden stuff.

A lot of the most "natural" professional products (sulfate free, paraben free, vegan, &/or organic...) use artificial fragrances because of the allergy issue. If you're looking for a mas produces natural-ish product you have to decide where you fall on that issue. In my opinion you can get a "better" product by opting for the synthetic fragrance (again, I'm talking mass produced here)
#30 of 39 Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 AM

I too would be interested in the "recipe" to get the Aveda smell. It's sooo delish. I wish my house smelled like that... would totally make candles...

Newly single mama to DS 4/20/2005. Recently back from ALASKA.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page