Catching mice humanely? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2003, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Soon after moving into our new home, I realized that it had been a home to mice in the past...and they moved right back in after we livened the place back up.
I read some posts here on the board and decided to use sticky traps, then to free the mouse from them after driving it a ways away. That worked wonderfully for the first mouse---we caught it within two hours of placing out the traps and I was able to use the veg oil to get it off the trap pretty easily.
The remaining mice are a different sotry, though. They're having a party below my kitchen cabinents behind me as I type. I've found that they've been caught on a couple of the traps, but through ingenuity or great strength, have escaped. I've even tried different brands with the same result.
Has anyone used other live traps? If so, which are best? I've seen some at the hardware store and also in PETA's catalog. For now, a cat is out of the question, as dh doesn't feel like we can handle another pet right now.
TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2003, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We've had good luck with the Hav-a-Heart traps. We use peanut butter (on a piece of foil or waxed paper) for the lure. Sometimes the mouse escapes the trap, but usually they just get let loose out in the woods. Eventually we get them all and the traps release the mice quite easily and without a lot of trauma for them.

User Tag List