Sheepskins and Wool Cause SIDS?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.thecauseofsids.org/sheeps...se_of_sids.htm

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I have bought natural latex mattresses with organic cotton/wool toppers and am putting wool puddle pads on top. This is no small investment and I have done it to protect my babies from chemicals off-gassing from conventional mattresses. Now this article says wool is one of the biggest culprit for off-gassing phosphorus naturally and sometimes arsenic is also found in it.
#2 of 4 Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 AM

Sounds like a bunch of scare-tactic hooey to me! There is always some thing you are or aren't supposed to do from one minute to the next. Eat eggs. Don't eat eggs. Cell phones cause brain cancer. No! Cell phones cause gas pumps to explode! Eeek! Be afraid, be very afraid.

ARe you in New Zealand? Are your skins commercially processed? Looks like you have organic, so you should be fine! As for the actual sheep skin, I didn't put ds on his until around 3 mos, so the sids scare risk had passed. That thing's fluffy! I didn't want him on it face down until then. Now, he face dives into at full force. He lurves his lamby!

I think you'll be just fine!
#3 of 4 Old 09-10-2007, 12:54 PM

I was struck by this:
" The New Zealand Cot Death Study (1987-1990) found that of the 393 cot deaths investigated in the study, 42% of those deaths occurred on sheepskins."

What percentage of NZ babies sleep on sheepskins? I'm bettting it's very high. Maybe even the norm there? That sounds like a correlation without proof of causation, to me.

That said, I was put off by the fluffiness of the sheepskin we were given, and never used it (plus, we're vegetarian, and I just couldn't compromise ).

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#4 of 4 Old 09-10-2007, 05:31 PM

There seems to be a linkage between breathing (the breathing center in the brain) and SIDS and I could imagine, that hairy sheep skin or hairy wool might obstruct or make a potentially difficult to breath situation even more diffictult for the baby. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page