Hair falling out - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this belongs here. :
My hair's been seriously falling out for as long as I can remember. I can just be sitting here, and it falls out. I find long strands of hair all over my clothes, my arms, the floor. It all comes from my head. Any idea about why it falls out to begin with, and how I can fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 PM

it is normal for hair to start falling out sometime postpartum. I've heard it is anywhere between 2 and 5 months post partum. Mine started fallling out at 4 months post partum and the shedding has finally slowed down. I have hair everywhere like you. It is a pain!!! All I know is that Rosemary stimulates hair growth. So, if you are worried about your hair getting thin, you may want to get some shampoo that has rosemary in it.

::
#3 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 PM

Some people just shed more than others. If your hairline isn't thinning then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
#4 of 12 Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

It's not just a PP thing. It's been falling out for years--like since I was 13 or so. I'm going on 23. And I'm not worried about it falling out. My hair/head are fine. But I hate having to clean it up all the time. And I can't get half of it up anyway. I don't want it on DS or his clothes, toys, or other things. It's crazy! If I thought it would do any good, I'd just shave my head. But with my luck, it would bring on something else. :
#5 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 AM

mrskennedy- not sure of any other symptoms you may have, but sometimes hairloss can be caused by thyroid problems. People who have hair loss along with fatigue, coldness, weight gain should have thier thyroid examined.
#6 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM

If your hair isn't thinning or breaking, this is normal. Cutting your hair shorter will minimize the problem, since really short hairs are less annoying and less noticeable.
#7 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 04:43 PM

If it's any help at all..my hair is falling out also..but we are under a lot of stress at the time.
Just here to offer some support.
#8 of 12 Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM

Hair falls out more in spring and during fall.

Hair can also fall out a lot if you're stressed out, have had major illness, have had surgery, are pregnant or have had a baby, have anemia, take certain medications, have allergies, have yeast issues, sebbhorreic dermatitis or psoriasis on the scalp, or are manually aggressive to your hair or use really strong products: too high heat on blow dryer, yanking, scrubbing hard with a towel on wet hair, using silicone products, not conditioning enough, using too many products in hair, over processing with color and chemicals, having dry hair, etc.

Taking B-complex and multivitamins help, as well as iron. Most women are slightly anemic and don't even realize it, so they lose hair a lot - an iron supplement (and wash it down with something with high amounts of vitamin C, since vitamin C helps absorb iron your body). Drink your OJ and have plenty of calcium too (but the calcium shouldn't be taken the same time as the iron - calcium interferes with adsorption)!
#9 of 12 Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 AM

Me too! It gets worse pp, but it is never-ending! Hairs are everywhere in my house! And oh wow you should see the floor after I brush it. No thyroid issues afaik, but my hair has always done this. I still have too much on my head (very thick) so no worries about that, it's just a mess.
#10 of 12 Old 09-27-2007, 02:32 PM

Perhaps you can brush it with some firm strokes before going to bed and in the morning so that the hair falls in your brush and not all over the house (similar concepts to shedding dogs... ). Using a boar bristle/nylon combination brush helps snag loose hair and daily scalp brushing with this brush then forces the rest of the roots to be strong and hold on to your hair a bit.
#11 of 12 Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 PM

While planning our wedding, my hair was falling out by the handful! I went to a natural food store and was given a bottle of silica pills. It really worked. Within a few days, I noticed a substantial difference in the amount I was losing.
#12 of 12 Old 09-28-2007, 08:29 PM

This happens to me too, and I always hear it's normal. I swear I lose more than the average 100 hairs a day, but I don't seem to be at a loss for hair, so who knows. I don't have anything going on- pp, illness, decent diet, so I guess it really is just normal. Mine is the same as yours, a random strand at a time.
I've been growing mine out, and the longer it gets, the more I notice, I think it's simply because the hair is literally longer when it falls out. When I wash or brush, I definitely notice more, but I've examined the hairs and they never look snapped or broken off, just plain old fallen out hair.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page