help with coconut oil deoderant! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using EVCO instead of any other deoderant for the past several months. It worked fabulously at first but the last week or so, I seem stinky. Not hugely stinky, just worse than the no-stink I experienced for the first few months. Smelly enough to want to change a shirt halfway through the day, not smelly enough to clear an elevator.

Now, I'm pg, but I was pg when I started using it. So it shouldn't be about a hormonal change, should it? The weather has also been fluctuating - I live in hot/humid VA and we had a nice cool fall-weather week but now we're back to temps in the 90s. Still, I was sweating a lot over the summer and didn't stink.

Is it possible for the antibacterial properties of EVCO to stop working? Why?

I would use a little baking soda to scrub my pits or add to the EVCO, but the reason I'm using CO to start with is because I react horribly to BS on my pits - terrible big and painful zitlike sores. Not fun. I'm not going anywhere near my armpits with BS.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 PM

I'm experiencing the same problems the last month and I'm not pregnant, but I have been starting a new birth control as part of hormone therapy, so that may be it too. I think the weather is completely wonky too.

Do what you're doing, but add an apple cider vinegar spray after the baking soda scrubbing step. Squirt some on your pits and do your thing in the shower and quickly rinse off the vinegar. No need to rinse too well. I keep a bottle of diluted ACV in the shower so I can use it for no-poo too (it's diluted with water by about 1/2) - you can make it stronger if you'd like.

Then slather on the CO as you usually do. On the days that the weather is a smidge cooler (90 degrees or less), it still seems to be working. From 95 degrees up, I'm having some issues.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reminding me of the vinegar. I had thought of rubbing alcohol because I know some people here use it instead of deo, but it sounds awfully drying to me.

I don't do a BS scrub. I discovered that any BS coming within a mile of my pits makes them break out horribly. Bizarre. But I'll try the ACV. Last time I tried it it stung awfully but I epilate now instead of shaving, so that might help.

Maybe it's the weather changing?

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 09-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Some of it may be the weather changing. I know I have been lazy with the BS/ACV part of the process too. Your CO may not be working for the same reason that most natural deos don't work after a while - it just piles up on your skin and your skin has trapped bacteria, oils, skin, and that other junk.

If you got irritation - was it because you left the baking soda on your pits (like in the funk butter mixtures)? Because baking soda is pH basic, that can irritate some people. I don't leave any baking soda on my armpits, I just scrub with it and rinse it off. And since I use ACV afterward (also rinsed off), it restores the acid mantle of my skin back to an acidic environment, as skin should be. That's the same concept of anything we do for our bodies. We wash with something pH basic because it does a good job of cleaning, then we restore the moisture and acid mantle by putting conditioners or lotion back into our hair/bodies. The less pH basic something is, the less irritation you have, but if it gets overly acidic, it doesn't clean well, unless it's super acidic. But then you get the same problem of overstripping or drying out.

I can't think of anything else that's as cheap, mess-less, or as granular as baking soda to get the muck off your pits. Cornmeal is too messy, brown sugar dissolves too quickly to get a good scrub for your armpits. A manual scrub brush may not be so fine as to really get a good microdermabrasion get the muck off - and baking soda acts like soap to get junk off too.

I think if I left wet baking soda on my skin all day, I would break out terribly too. I never keep it on, I always rinse anything with baking soda off.

If you haven't tried scrubbing and rinsing off, and then doing ACV, that may help you. It just gets rid of the buildup and kills more bacteria.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
If you got irritation - was it because you left the baking soda on your pits (like in the funk butter mixtures)? Because baking soda is pH basic, that can irritate some people. I don't leave any baking soda on my armpits, I just scrub with it and rinse it off.
Is that any better than, or even as good as, soap?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 AM

Have you tried a salt stick? They sell them here in every store because they're great for people with allergies.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Spastica, I do get irritation even if I scrub with BS and rinse it completely off. Sigh. Not sure what it is with me and BS. Robert, baking soda does indeed work better at killing off armpit bacteria than soap. I don't think getting old CO residue off is much of an issue, though.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Try one more time scrubbing and rinsing, but then following up with the ACV. If it still bugs you, throw in the towel and try something else
Old 10-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
Spastica, I do get irritation even if I scrub with BS and rinse it completely off. Sigh. Not sure what it is with me and BS. Robert, baking soda does indeed work better at killing off armpit bacteria than soap. I don't think getting old CO residue off is much of an issue, though.
I get irritation from scrubbing with bs, and from mixing it with coconut oil into a homemade deo. What works for me is rubbing in CO and then *patting* a little bs on top. CO alone doesn't always work for me, especially when I am stressed. Combined with the bs it has worked really well for six months or so now.

User Tag List