Coconut oil and acne prone skin. Dr Bronner's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
soap question! I noticed that one of the ingredients in Dr. Bronner's soap is coconut oil. I have heard mixed reviews on this oil and did some research a few hrs ago. Does anyone have any knowledge or references about coconut oil? I would hate to use it on my skin and mess it up. I already use castor and olive oil on my skin (but from what I know, those 2 have a low probability of clogging pores)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 10:21 PM

In my experience, when I started using CO for a moisturizer on my face, I broke out for about a week, but then started to clear up. It has stayed very clear, until a few days ago, but I am also expecting AF in the next few days and I usually break out bad this time of month, but it's just been about 4 pimples. Nothing serious. I read somewhere that CO brings toxins out of the skin, so at first it would seem that your pores are clogged.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:42 PM

First of all, make sure it's not saying "coconut based surfactant" versus coconut oil. There's a difference.

I've had good luck with coconut oil and I actually wash my face with it or use as a moisturizer at night. I used to use it during the day and liked it, but it doesn't have enough SPF - so I have had to switch back to my Oil of Olay with SPF so that my cheeks don't burn from driving in the sun during rush hour. I think most people in here like it, a few have complained of breaking out, but it may be to the reason as the previous post mentioned.

Coconut oil is antibacterial in nature and it's used as part of the soapmaking process to create lather. Too much in soap can be drying though, but most professional soapmakers know the right ratio to use.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&D2005 View Post
soap question! I noticed that one of the ingredients in Dr. Bronner's soap is coconut oil. I have heard mixed reviews on this oil and did some research a few hrs ago. Does anyone have any knowledge or references about coconut oil? I would hate to use it on my skin and mess it up. I already use castor and olive oil on my skin (but from what I know, those 2 have a low probability of clogging pores)
It's important to understand that coconut soap (soap made from coconut oil, called "cocoate" in CTFA/INCI terminology used for labels) and coconut oil, as is, are different things. They're almost as different as chlorine gas and the salts that are chlorides.

Dr. Bronner's is a clear liquid (if it's the liquid and not bar soap), which shows that it's not superfatted, which means there's no coconut oil left in it, just coconut soap. The same goes for the other saponified oils in it.

Robert
Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Coconut oil is...used as part of the soapmaking process to create lather. Too much in soap can be drying though, but most professional soapmakers know the right ratio to use.
There is no right ratio, it's always a tradeoff. You can get mass market soaps with very little, all the way up to Kirk's all-coconut.

User Tag List