How do you remove mold/mildew from bathmat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We have a non-slip mat in our tub and it gets really gross with mold/mildew. How can I clean it and is there a way to keep it clean too? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm battling this too at the moment. I don't know what happened! It was fine and now it's gross. I scrubbed it down and used an old toothbrush to scour out the bumps. This got rid of a lot of stuff but not everything. When ds is done with his bath I'm going to spray it down with peroxide & vinegar and see if that will kill it off. I'll give it a week then I'm just going to chuck it cause it really grosses me out

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#3 of 11 Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 AM

Been there, done that and can say with assuredness that nothing short of bleach gets the stains left behind by mold. Get a new mat.

Once you get a new mat, spray it after each use with a daily shower spray. In addition to mainstream brands, Seventh Generation, Method and a few other "green" brands are available and throw it over a towel rack in between uses to dry.
#4 of 11 Old 10-08-2007, 01:07 AM

Bleach does kill mold, but it leaves behind the perfect ph for new mold to grow.

Try tea tree oil.
#5 of 11 Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 AM

I haven't had a shower mat for a long time. My parents used to have one with about a zillion suction cups on the bottom. We always took it out after the shower was over and put it suction cup side up over the side of the tub so it could air dry. I'd start fresh with a new mat.
#6 of 11 Old 10-08-2007, 01:12 AM

We pull ours up after we shower and either hang it over the bar in the bathtub, or suction it to the wall so it can drip dry completely.
#7 of 11 Old 10-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalyst View Post
Been there, done that and can say with assuredness that nothing short of bleach gets the stains left behind by mold.
And even bleach works only very slowly on it, and oxidizes vulcanized rubber, making it brittle.

I think mold or mildew on rubber bath mats can be prevented by adding chlorine dioxide to your bath water, even if you don't do it every bath and there are showers in between. Unless you're using the expensive Oxyfresh/Purogene products (like Springfresh shower gel), chlorine dioxide needs to be home made. It's much milder than hypochlorite bleach, very safe on skin and eyes (or even swallowed) at appropriate dilution, won't bleach washcloths, and doesn't have the environmental objections of some chlorine products. Plus, it's actually a stronger antimicrobial than bleach. I've noticed the black stuff on a rubber bathtub plug and the grout getting lighter with ClO2 in the water. I can explain how to make ClO2 if you're interested. You need to start with NaClO2 (sodium chlorite), which I think should be available as a swimming pool supply.

Robert
#8 of 11 Old 10-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arahzel View Post
We pull ours up after we shower and either hang it over the bar in the bathtub, or suction it to the wall so it can drip dry completely.
Only, with all those suction cups, it doesn't.
#9 of 11 Old 10-08-2007, 04:18 PM

I use oxyclean for mold and mildew. It won't work in the wash (for that I use bleach) because it seems to need extended exposure to really work, but it won't damage the fabric like bleach will, and it will get out stains (that are left after the mildew-mold is killed off) that bleach won't. I get a big plastic tub and fill it with hot water and a *very* strong concentration of oxyclean dissolved in the water, and sprinkled directly on the stains. And then let it sit overnight.
#10 of 11 Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Only, with all those suction cups, it doesn't.
Never had a problem so far with mildew.

We *do* mostly hang it over the bar though.
#11 of 11 Old 10-12-2007, 02:16 PM

I don't have a bath mat, but when the shower curtains get mildewy I toss them in the washer with a loan of towels and oxiclean in the the detergent. Maybe that will help?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page