borax on hair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i've been reading trying to find natural alternatives to the few last commercial products we use (dish soap, laudry soap, shampoo and bar soap) but something surprising i found along with the recipes was some ppl saying they used borax and water instead of shampoo and that it worked great!
just wondered if anyone had tried it, i'm interested
thanks
also can it be used as a dish soap?

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#2 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Use baking soda, please, instead of borax. Using borax on your hair is like putting Drano on your head, the pH is very, very high (around pH 11 or 13). Baking soda is around 8.2, where plain water is at neutral at 7. If you ever got borax into your eyes or let it sit on your scalp, you could have chemical burns from the high pH. I think there was one person who tried that here and had good results, I remember a post once, and I tried to quickly nip it in the bud by giving her this info.

You CAN use borax for household cleaning - please use gloves when you do.
#3 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbomumof3 View Post
can it be used as a dish soap?
It can be used as a detergent in mechanical dishwashers, but I don't think you'd find it too effective as a hand dishwashing detergent.
#4 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 PM

well, I've used it.:, I have a jar in my bathroom that's a mix of BS and borax and EOs for cleaning and I didn't have and just BS so I used that, and it was okay. I didn't let it sit on my scalp, and I rinsed with vinegar which helps to lower the ph. I have a natural skin care book that calls for small amounts of it in some recipes I think as an emulsifier. Not saying you should or shouldn't use it just sharing my experience.

~Erika, mama to Isaac 2/07 and Jacoby 9/09 , married to my sweetheart, Sam
#5 of 6 Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replys, i went onto the recipes thread and found some good ones...so i won't be using borax on my head, i'll stick with the bs recipes instead
my poor hubby had to hear all about all the new things i was going to make when he got home, luckily he's all for anything thats better for the environment and his wallet lol
can't wait to hand him a no-poo ball to wash his hair with though hehe

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#6 of 6 Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Use baking soda, please, instead of borax. Using borax on your hair is like putting Drano on your head, the pH is very, very high (around pH 11 or 13). Baking soda is around 8.2, where plain water is at neutral at 7. If you ever got borax into your eyes or let it sit on your scalp, you could have chemical burns from the high pH.
It is more strongly alkaline than baking soda, but I wouldn't exaggerate the danger of borax, appropriately diluted. It has long been used in bath salts, and is in Boraxo powdered hand soap, which is sold mostly for washing hands but can also be used for scrubbing pots, etc. (So it's not as if borax is useless in dishwashing by hand, just not very good by itself.) You could shampoo with Boraxo, but not very conveniently and I don't think it'd be any better than plain soap.

Robert

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page