Natural ways to deal with PMS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help! I've been going through a lot these past couple of years and with a lot of counseling, I've been doing great. Except for that time of the month. This evil monster takes over my body! My almost 2 year old was having trouble falling asleep and after nursing him for over an hour, I was done! He screamed and cried, and I just laid there on my stomach. My husband came in and said "I'll pick you up." Then I started crying. It's awful. I'm cranky. Short tempered, etc, etc. Then when that time is over. I'm fine.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Acpuncture helped me a TON. I started it to help with our unexplained infertility. I used to get really bad PMS - irritable, emotional, short tempered, you name it. After a few acupuncture treatments, it was all gone. The only way I even knew my period was coming was because I was charting my cycle to get pg. It was wonderful, truly amazing really!
#3 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 03:35 PM

I wonder if you have thought about diet at all? I found that whole-foods-based veganism did amazing things for me, PMS-wise, especially when it came to mood and emotions. Cutting out sugar as the magical week neared also made a positive difference. Excercise, even very moderate excercise like walking for thirty minutes three times a week, was a piece of the puzzle that it took me a long time to add, but it turned out to be really helpful.

And good for you, going to counseling and getting stuff together-- it takes a lot of energy and fortitude to do these things.

Cut yourself some slack at these PMS times, too, mama, and ask for help. It's not just in your head!

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#4 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 PM

:
#5 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

Peridin-C (C flavonoid complex including a standardized amount of hesperidin) from Beutlich is said to work vs. peri-menopausal hot flushing.
#6 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 11:19 PM

Great question! I have PMS so bad that I tell my DH I want a divorce each month!

I just noticed in the health forum there is a thread on menstruation:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=597520

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but did glance through it and it may be helpful...
#7 of 28 Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM

I will be following this discussion as well. I began regular monthly accupuncture treatments about 10months ago and it has seemed to help overall, but I still find I have 2-3 days during my cycle that I just can't stand to be touched and I lose my temper for really stupid reasons.

I have been taking evening primrose oil when I feel that I might be short tempered during the day, but it does take a bit to get into the system since it is in gel caps. And I just recently found out about Mother's Wart, which is in liquid form and seems to work quickly, but tastes absolutely terrible!
#8 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree looking into diet to include avoiding caffeine, and not only sugar but sugar substitutes as well. I sort of suck at this... I know I should do better, but I see quite a bit of improvement when I am careful. I too torture dh each cycle - lucky for him I have PCOS so it's only a couple times a year - but just extra bad

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#9 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 AM

Really recommend GLA (gamma lanoleic acid) which has twice the concentration dosage of evening primrose oil. This product really helps to balance the hormones in the body so that we have more normal cycles not so much cramping and overall helps with our well-being.

HTH's~
Amber
#10 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 AM

Supplements (higher dosage than the little bit in a multi-vitamin):

- B-Complex: hormone regulation and PMS-preventer
- Vitamins C and E (usually in combo - you may even get a combo with B-Complex). C strengthens capillaries in the uterus so it doesn't bleed so much, E helps dissolve ovarian cysts if you have any, and helps in other ways.
- Iron (slow - release) at least a week before period, but don't have it at the same time as the calcium combo. Iron absorbs better with C. - helps you feel less tired/drained and avoid getting migraines and low blood levels when you have your period.
- Magnesium/Calcium/Zinc combo supplement: PMS prevention and headache/tenderness prevention.

If I had to pick 1 for PMS only, I would pick B-complex. If you bleed a lot, do the Iron too.

Teas

- Chamomile: for cramping, irritability, headaches, bloating
- Red Zinger: for extra vitamin C, which helps strengthen the capillaries in your uterus and helps with balance
- Green Tea with Jasmine: the jasmine helps with headaches and with cramping

Cut down on salts, NO MSG, and caffiene (as previous poster said), and refined foods. Have protein when you're munchy, or you can make a trail mix of salty peanuts, raisins, m&m's and that's a great "PMS crunch" snack - it hits all the stuff you want when you're PMSing and it's not terrible for you.

Hope this helps,

Love, Spazzy
(the girl who bled 3 weeks out of four every month for almost 2 years before having a fibroid surgery AND PMS'ed and yelled at anybody and everything that was considered family to her, including Mom, boyfriend, and the dog).
#11 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Gina, GREAT info! I appreciate the advice (even though I'm not the one who started the thread!).
#12 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 03:59 PM

No prob, Shannon, that's what forums are for.

I always used to cry and start fights with Paul and break up with him all the damn time too. You would have thought he would have had a calender and marked every 28-30 days - maybe after years of dating, he probably had a mental note "If she acts crazy around the Xth of the month, I'll know it's not really her."
#13 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
No prob, Shannon, that's what forums are for.

I always used to cry and start fights with Paul and break up with him all the damn time too. You would have thought he would have had a calender and marked every 28-30 days - maybe after years of dating, he probably had a mental note "If she acts crazy around the Xth of the month, I'll know it's not really her."
Yeah, my DH used to get mad and fight with me when I was a b****, but he's finally learned that it's just one week out of the month and if he can manage to make it through, he'll get is wife back!
#14 of 28 Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM

Oh, few more items - if you're prone to PCOS:

PCOS is a side effect of having insulin resistance. Altering your diet helps wonders.

- Taurine: good for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol due to PCOS
- Milk Thistle: cleans out liver, which is a huge problem with people who have hormonal issues, the liver gets clogged with all the hormones dumped there; if the liver can't break it down, guess where it goes back to? Yup, back into your body. It's a vicious cycle.
-Chromium: for insulin resistance typical in people who have PCOS
#15 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 AM

I'm still looking for a miracle cure, but here's what I've been doing that helps tremendously.

Decaf green tea with chamomile. I drink it like iced tea, sometimes replacing water. Drinking it daily helped a lot.

Calcium. When I feel like I can't cope, I chew 2 Tums (I'm lactose intolerant, and I rarely have lactose-free milk on hand). I try to take them a week before my PMS too.

Bach Flower Remedy, Cherry Plum. I put 4 drops into a glass of water or my tea concoction and down it.

Drink lots of water and avoid excess salt and sugar intake.

DH already added "Hell Week" into his Outlook calendar every 4 weeks. Since starting the above, it's not so bad now.

~Katie
#16 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, few more items - if you're prone to PCOS:

PCOS is a side effect of having insulin resistance. Altering your diet helps wonders.

- Taurine: good for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol due to PCOS
- Milk Thistle: cleans out liver, which is a huge problem with people who have hormonal issues, the liver gets clogged with all the hormones dumped there; if the liver can't break it down, guess where it goes back to? Yup, back into your body. It's a vicious cycle.
-Chromium: for insulin resistance typical in people who have PCOS
These are interesting. From my understanding insulin resistance is a symptom found in some people who have PCOS, not the cause of PCOS. Some have PCOS and not insulin resistance. Do you have some where you can point me to read a bit more on this school of thought? Thanks!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#17 of 28 Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 PM

essential fatty acids
cal/mag supplement
whole foods diet (I eat animal products but am generally very choosy about where they come from!)

My poor DH can guess when it is coming too I have a few days where I just get *very* impatient! But if I am good about my diet and supplements - and exercise too - it makes a big difference.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#18 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 AM

It seems to be kind of chicken and egg in terms of insulin resistance. Not all PCOS women have cysts either. I just did a quick search. I'm sure there are better sources:

http://pcos.insulitelabs.com/

http://www.dreamababy.com/pcos-insulin.htm

http://www.pcosupport.org/living/nutrition/thoughts.php

http://www.soulcysters.com/symptoms.html

http://www.soulcysters.net/diet-poly...yndrome-23706/
#19 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 AM

This is a great thread from a while ago:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=129132
#20 of 28 Old 10-19-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:

I've heard that milk thistle decreases milk supply. Anyone know if that's true? I'm low on milk as it is, so I don't want to take any chances!
#21 of 28 Old 10-20-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffiB View Post
DH already added "Hell Week" into his Outlook calendar every 4 weeks. Since starting the above, it's not so bad now.
Really funny, but also not

I just put two and two together, and realized that I am a crazy freak when I have PMS. I never realized it was related to my cycle, and in a way it feels better to know that there is a cause and I can do things to help it, I'm not just a depressed, angry, hopeless person!

This is only my second month taking supplements, but last month I started with calcium, magnesium, b6, and EPO and there was a huge improvement. I saw an herbalist this month and got some specially compounded herbal tinctures to take, so we'll see how this month goes.

Any thoughts on taking EPO vs. other fatty acids- I don't feel comfortable taking fish oils although I know that would probably be better.
#22 of 28 Old 10-20-2007, 11:48 PM

If you're going to take fish oil, you really need to buy molecularly distilled ones since they extract all the contaminants from fish. I used to take Omega Zone fish oils during pregnancy. I remember being less expensive than this though...

http://www.zoneliving.com/ZoneProduc...,ProductNumber

~Katie
#23 of 28 Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 PM

What about flax seed oil??

from me, too. I'm starting to see some patterns in my own thoughts/feelings/behavior. I'm having difficulty sorting it out, though. How do you know when it's PMS and not just that your husband would drive a wooden man crazy? :

so many roads to ease my soul...

#24 of 28 Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Really funny, but also not

This is only my second month taking supplements, but last month I started with calcium, magnesium, b6, and EPO and there was a huge improvement. I saw an herbalist this month and got some specially compounded herbal tinctures to take, so we'll see how this month goes.

Any thoughts on taking EPO vs. other fatty acids- I don't feel comfortable taking fish oils although I know that would probably be better.
This is pretty much exactly what I do and I have also had huge improvements. I don't have to overdose on ibuprofen anymore. I take a liquid calcium/magnesium, a B-complex, and Borage Oil instead of EPO as it has a higher GLA content.
#25 of 28 Old 10-23-2007, 12:59 AM

I like Evening Primrose Oil. It's also high in GLA and has a good omega 3 - 6 -9 ratio.

Raspberry leaf tea is also helpful at times.
#26 of 28 Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 PM

Chaste tree berry/Vitex tincture mixed with Yogi's Moon Cycle tea worked wonders for me. The tincture is really gross unless its mixed in with the tea for some reason.

DP noticed a difference - I never got cranky and impatient with him. A few hours after I drank it, I'd be giggly and my normal self. Its like a miracle, seriously. I totally mellowed out.

From what I read, it stimulates the pituitary gland in your brain to tell your ovaries to make more LH (lutenizing hormone) which in turn makes your body produce progesterone. When estrogen is more dominant in the second part of your cycle (after ovulation), thats when you get PMS symptoms like sore breasts, water retention and crankiness. We get a lot of women plagued with estrogen dominance in our modern world through phytoestrogens and birth control pills and what not. This herb seems to rebalance everything. Its awesome.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#27 of 28 Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseens View Post
This is pretty much exactly what I do and I have also had huge improvements. I don't have to overdose on ibuprofen anymore. I take a liquid calcium/magnesium, a B-complex, and Borage Oil instead of EPO as it has a higher GLA content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleandbee View Post
I like Evening Primrose Oil. It's also high in GLA and has a good omega 3 - 6 -9 ratio.

Raspberry leaf tea is also helpful at times.
I'm glad to hear people have found such good relief with simple, natural measures. Re: the GLA- I've read that EPA and DHA are more important than GLA. I need to do more reading on this! Meanwhile, I'm going to keep taking my EPO until it runs out!

I also have the Yogi moon cycle tea, and RRL tea- don't know if they help, but I enjoy drinking them and it can't hurt!
#28 of 28 Old 11-02-2007, 05:00 PM

*subbing*

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page