yeast infections from reusable pads/Diva cup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if any of you have this problem. I have been using the Diva cup + Lunapads (pantiliners) for a year or two, the last year I have had MAJOR probs with yeast infections starting within the week that my period ends, just about every month. DH and I have been treated with oral meds too (although he has never had any symptoms). I have watched my diet, am not on the pill or antibiotics, etc. I am suspecting it is from the cup, maybe the pads.

I just wash the cup well in hot hot water with soap and rinse it, rinse it well bewteen emptying it, etc. I do not wash the pads on hot as they do have a nylon inner layer and I don't want to lose the waterproof qualities.

Do I boil the cup at the end of my cycle or something? I would not want to give this system of cup/pads up, but the months I have switched to disposables I have had no problems. Hmmm....

Tina

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#2 of 13 Old 10-18-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckgal View Post
I do not wash the pads on hot as they do have a nylon inner layer and I don't want to lose the waterproof qualities.
I'm not sure if you could be getting the yeast from the pads, but I do wash my nylon-lined pads in hot water, and have for years, and they have remained perfectly waterproof.

good luck!

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#3 of 13 Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 PM

I get a yeast infection if I wash my Diva cup with soap. Instead I put it in a sterilizing solution of water and hydrogen peroxide for about 30 minutes at the end of my cycle. I've heard that hydrogen peroxide can damage the cup but I've been doing it for over 2 years and no problems yet.
#4 of 13 Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 PM

I've only had a yeast infection once from the Diva Cup, and that was the month I washed it with soap every night. I then read on a forum here that another member didn't use soap to wash the Diva Cup because when she did, she got yeast infections. So I stopped using soap and just use hot water. Also, I sometimes boil it at the end of the cycle but not consistently. Haven't had another infection yet.

Just my experience but I hope it helps.
#5 of 13 Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 PM

I've been using cloth for about 10 years - some of the same pads- washing them in cold water. I've had no problems. In contrast, before I used cloth, I got yeast infections a couple of times every year.

My pads do not have a waterproof liner. They are 100% unbleached cotton. I would think that anything the holds moisture and/or prevents air from circulating would increase your risk of getting yeast infections. That's why nylon underwear (even those with a cotton liner) are a big no-no for people prone to yeast infections. That's why I've made a choice to use unlined cloth.

Never used a Diva cup, so can't comment.
#6 of 13 Old 10-19-2007, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Boil the cup. The manufacturer says it's safe to boil it.

For the pads, have you tried soaking for a few hours in full-strength white vinegar? That kills most bacteria. I've never heard that hot water damages nylon...I washed my son's nylon diaper covers and wetbags in hot water and never had any problems.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#7 of 13 Old 10-20-2007, 01:20 PM

what kind of soap are you using on your diva? the only kind i can use on mine is a very basic unscented dye-free dishwashing liquid (not the antibacterial kind). you can also soak your diva in vinegar to kill off any yeast. also, your laundry soap could be leaving an irritating residue on your pads. hth!
#8 of 13 Old 10-20-2007, 05:04 PM

My suggestions would be to stop using soap and boil your diva cup or soak it in peroxide, like people have already suggested. But I think you'll have to do something with your pads-- I'm guessing they're the cause more than the diva cup. You don't want to wash them in hot water, but you should do something to kill yeast-- I'd suggest washing them with vinegar, peroxide and/or GSE.
#9 of 13 Old 10-24-2007, 07:26 PM

I'd check out the memories in the cloth pad info community at livejournal.
#10 of 13 Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 AM

i was having the same problems when i washed with soap and water. now i first wash it with the "diva wash" stuff, then soak in vinegar/water solution, then boil it. i'm sure it's overkill, but the yeast infection problem went away. if you don't want to wash your pads i hot, i think you may want to at least soak them in a vinegar solution.
#11 of 13 Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 PM

I have thrush right now. I read that everything that comes in contact with the baby's mouth (binkies, etc) should be boiled for 20 mins. So maybe try that with the Diva?

Also, yeast hates (dies) sunlight-so if you can, dry your pads in the sun.
#12 of 13 Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Mama View Post
I have thrush right now. I read that everything that comes in contact with the baby's mouth (binkies, etc) should be boiled for 20 mins. So maybe try that with the Diva?
Yep & you have to bring the water to a boil and then put it in or the yeast can "get used" to the rising temp of the water.
#13 of 13 Old 10-26-2007, 12:16 AM

i use unbleached/undyed cotton pads and havn't had any problems. i just wash them in cold water

::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page