Instead Softcup during Sex?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had any experience with wearing the instead cup during intercourse? Can you feel it? Can your partner? I usualy use a Diva cup (love it!) but wanted to try the instead during intercourse. Any tips or experience?
#2 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 11:22 AM

I have used one, but not during sex. The outside ring seems awfully inflexible to make it comfortable during intercourse. But, I have to qualify my remarks by saying that I have a tilted pelvis that make getting a diva or the instead cup really difficult to get in the right place without it being uncomfortable or just sliding out.
#3 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 AM

???? i cant imagine using a diva during sex

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#4 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 PM

I can't imagine how that would be pleasant for anyone. Are you planning on using it as a barrier protection from pregnancy or just to avoid a mess? If you are just trying to avoid a mess, use a towel underneath and take a shower after. If you are trying to use it as contraception, don't. That's not what it was designd for.
#5 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The Instead cup fits completely differently than a Diva does, I definitely couldn't imagine a Diva during sex either! But yes, you can have sex with an Instead cup in, though your DP will probably feel it.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
If you are just trying to avoid a mess, use a towel underneath and take a shower after. If you are trying to use it as contraception, don't. That's not what it was designed for.
I agree. Or IN the shower works to avoid mess.....

Desiree

#7 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 PM

Doesn't sound comfortable to me for anyone. I imagine it would get knocked out of place too.

I'd shower, put down a towel, and then shower again if you are worried about mess.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#8 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM

Yes, it works fine. Sometimes hubby can feel it more than other times...my interior tends to change shape slightly during the course of my period. For him it's only uncomfortable toward the end of my period. I actually keep them on hand for this purpose and also to keep in my purse in case I get surprised by my period while I'm out and about. Otherwise I use a diva cup.
#9 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM

I've used it during sex and it works just fine. I haven't had any leakage or anything like that and it didn't bother dp.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#10 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think it depends on your body. Personally, there is no way that would work. Actually, I hated the Instead cup because it wouldn't go all the way in and the hard plastic ring always hurt. I can't imagine it being possible to have sex with it in the way.

The diva cup I can just, barely get all the way in but I had to cut off the little tab thing completely.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#11 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 PM

I used Instead cups in college throughout my cycles, and it was fine during sex. Someone posted on MDC a while ago about using a diaphragm during AF and that working well, too. Of course, they are not interchangeable. I wouldn't rely on Instead for contraception.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#12 of 23 Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 PM

I used to use the instead cup before baby, and it was fine during sex. But after baby, it leaks too much, so I use the diva and that doesn't work for sex. But things seem more sensitive now anyway.
#13 of 23 Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 PM

I have some for that very reason. Not every sex act is enjoyable for both partners while bleeding onto a towel, unfortunately. My partner can feel it but it's not a big deal.
#14 of 23 Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 PM

I bought some because for a while, DH was a bit reluctant to have sex when I was having my period because of the mess. Instead's product information says it can be used during sex.

It worked several times for me--comfortable, no mess, fit well--but DH said it poked him. Thankfully, he's gotten over his sex-during-period reluctance!
:

(Most of the time, I use a Keeper and really love it. But as you know, there's no way that works with sex!)

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#15 of 23 Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Yes!! LOVE IT!!! I'm usually super aroused during my period and using an instead it's like I'm not even having a period during sex... also, it's great for dh to not worry about warming things up (I'm not sure just how explicit I should be here, lol!).
#16 of 23 Old 10-24-2007, 06:38 PM

if you have it in right, it fits like a diaphragm and isn't that noticable. It's hard for me to get it in just right, but I have DTD with it in and it worked fine. Sure, DP knew it was there, but it wasn't totally distracting or uncomfortable for either of us
#17 of 23 Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM

i've used it during sex, and like a pp mentioned it, dh can feel it more sometimes than others, but he doesn't seem to mind it.
#18 of 23 Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
YMMV. We tried it and both were very uncomfortable. Afterward EnviroDaddy said I must have been mistaken about it being possible to have sex with it in. I showed him where the instructions said it was. He said, "Well, what kind of men are THEY having sex with?!" It's all in how you're shaped and angled, I guess...

My preference is to use the Diva Cup and enjoy my handy man.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#19 of 23 Old 10-26-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
YMMV. We tried it and both were very uncomfortable. Afterward EnviroDaddy said I must have been mistaken about it being possible to have sex with it in. I showed him where the instructions said it was. He said, "Well, what kind of men are THEY having sex with?!" It's all in how you're shaped and angled, I guess...

I don't get how it can NOT work though? It's the same basic design as a diaphragm which is for sexual use -or are there some women that can't use a diaphragm? I know I can't use a diva cup... or maybe I just need to try the smaller size (I'm over 30 and have kids so I tried the larger one -I still shiver in pain thinking about it)
#20 of 23 Old 10-26-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle View Post
I don't get how it can NOT work though? It's the same basic design as a diaphragm which is for sexual use -or are there some women that can't use a diaphragm? I know I can't use a diva cup... or maybe I just need to try the smaller size (I'm over 30 and have kids so I tried the larger one -I still shiver in pain thinking about it)
Well, I really wanted to use the instead cup, but can't get it to stay in. No matter how many times I try or how tightly I squeeze the ring together, as soon as I let go, it literally pops out...TMI? If it does manage to stay in at all, it sits so low that you can actually see the edge of the from the outside.

I cannot see how my DH could even get in there with it already hanging out. : But, like I already said, I have a tilted pelvis, so maybe that is the problem.
#21 of 23 Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomma View Post
I cannot see how my DH could even get in there with it already hanging out. : But, like I already said, I have a tilted pelvis, so maybe that is the problem.

I have a 'retroverted' uterus, is that the same? I guess I was just wondering though, if you can get it wrapped around the cervix, how it wouldn't work... doesn't sound like you were able to get it around the cervix? I know it can be very tricky at times, if I don't get it in at just the right angle it doesn't work at all and it seems easy not to get at the right angle... but when it's in correctly, for me, as I imagine a diaphragm should be, I don't even notice it at all, which is the only product for menstrual use I can say that about. DH can hit it, just as he can hit the cervix... but I don't like my cervix getting hit even more than the instead so for me I'm trying to avoid that anyway. It makes a difference how aroused I am also... the cervix lifts up and back or something.
#22 of 23 Old 10-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomma View Post
Well, I really wanted to use the instead cup, but can't get it to stay in. No matter how many times I try or how tightly I squeeze the ring together, as soon as I let go, it literally pops out...TMI? If it does manage to stay in at all, it sits so low that you can actually see the edge of the from the outside.

you have to be able to tuck it under your pubic bone. I have a retroverted uterus, and had the same issue you describe, until I realized that I had to push the cup so it would pop behind the cervix, and be able to go in all the way and fit behind the pubic bone. basically it has to sit along the top wall of the vagina, if you run into your cervix the cup isn't going to be able to fit all the way in. I wish they made a smaller size cup, instead of it being OSFA, I have a feeling that a smaller size would be a lot easier for me to put in, and probably you too
#23 of 23 Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 PM

I have done this repeatedly. my husband doesnt even know that I am wearing it.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page