"deodorant" crystals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-09-2002, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone know what these are made of and how they work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-09-2002, 02:23 PM

I do not know exactly what they are made of - some mix of minerals I believe. They work by creating an inhospitable environment for bacteria... so you still sweat, but since it's not the sweat that smells (it's the bacteria that is attracted to the sweat), there's no odor.

It can take some getting used to if you've always used an anti-perspirant/deoderant. I have a few close-fitting, pastel colored tshirts that I can't wear without something over them because the dampness will show up under my arms! Also, it took awhile for the bacteria to get completely eliminated... I did a combo of my old anti-perspirant and the Crystal for a few months before I got rid of the anti-perspirant forever. And if I eat something pungent, like onions or curry, my sweat will smell like that - the Crystal doesn't change that.

I like it and recommend it! It seems healthier to not be blocking my body from sweating, and of course it's much better not to be putting that old toxic stuff on my body everyday. And my shirts don't have that nasty sweat + antiperspirant smell lingernig in the armpits anymore!
#3 of 15 Old 03-09-2002, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info, I've been wanting to try one for ages!
#4 of 15 Old 03-10-2002, 12:40 AM

I think it is pretty much salt?!

I use them sometimes, but I also use Jasons natural deodorants. Pretty much cornstarch and baking soda work just as well as anything else! And you can add some essential oils to make it smell pretty before you powder it on!

Stay away from the crap with aluminom chyloride (sp?)
#5 of 15 Old 03-10-2002, 11:51 AM

Look on the ingredients - deodourant crystals are made from ALUMINUM SALTS, at least the ones that I've seen. Yup, they're the concentrated stuff that we've been trying to avoid putting on our bodies for years!

I use LUSH Aromaco, which is a deodourant (with a lovely pacholi smell) made of baking soda and cream of tartar. It works really well for me and my best friend, comes in a bar, like soap, and has one piece of waxed paper for packaging.
#6 of 15 Old 03-10-2002, 11:57 AM

The salt rocks contain Amommonium Aluminum
They do not contain Luminum Chlorohydrate (which is common in many name brand deodorants).

I am still skeptical, though. I like the idea of a splash of rose water or lavender water under the arm followed by a powder

But that probably isn't good for us either!

LOL

we'll never win!
#7 of 15 Old 03-10-2002, 12:09 PM

About Aluminum:

Aluminum come in all kinds of salt forms, but is essentially the 'active ingredient' in most commercial brands of deodourant. Oxides, chlorides, ammoniums, and others all become just plain aluminum once they dissolve on your skin. Don't be fooled when a products says 'all-natural' -- there are plenty of places on earth where you can dig up fabulously toxic compounds that are not 'synthetic' but come right from the ground or from plants.

If you're concerned about rising rates of breast cancer and alzheimers, both of which aluminum is a suspect causative agent, then you should probably not use a deodourant crystal.
#8 of 15 Old 03-10-2002, 06:07 PM

I use Nature's Gate Crystal Deodorant. The ingredients are mineral salts and potassium sulfate. It clearly states " Contains NO aluminum chlorohydrate" on the label.

I love the stuff, it works awesome.
#9 of 15 Old 03-12-2002, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I did get a crystal to try and now feel like a twit - why didn't I reAD THE LABEL???? there it says quite plainly : crystalline p0tash alum - a fancy way to say - loads of aluminium!!!!
I am surprised the health food store stocks it at all and will be asking them why!
#10 of 15 Old 03-17-2002, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
This is a subject of interest to me too. The Arabs have long used powdered alum mixed with an aromatic oil as a deodorant. I came across this site awhile back which discusses the differences between aluminum and alum plus other related info. Interesting read but I'm no chemist

http://www.biznet1.com/deodorant/

~Cynthia

#11 of 15 Old 03-17-2002, 07:21 PM

Thanks Cynthia! I had thought that they were two different things but didn't want to post because I wasn't sure!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#12 of 15 Old 03-17-2002, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks cynthia, very interesting distinction between alum and aluminium
#13 of 15 Old 03-31-2002, 06:28 PM

That was interesting info Cynthia!
I came across alum references all over the place in my research into Indiginous Medicine and Magic in the Middle East. It is used by falconers in training their birds of prey (not a particularly nice practice according to my uncle who has seen it used); it was also recorded as being used by women after birth to insert into the vagina to aid healing (ouch!?); alum crystals are also used in magic, placed in a flame they aid visions (like a crystal ball). There were more uses I came across but I can't remember them right now.
#14 of 15 Old 04-01-2002, 03:42 AM

Dr. Andrew Weil recommends against using deodorant crystals:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/app/cda/dr...&glossaryId=65

What I've found works pretty nicely is a natural deodorant, like one of those which uses tea tree oil and witch hazel, with no antiperspirant. Then I use a little powder (I use Desert Essence Baby, which smells wonderful and doesn't irritate my skin the way many do) over the deodorant, and I'm good to go.
#15 of 15 Old 04-01-2002, 11:06 AM

My naturopath turned me on to a deoderant called Lavilin put out by Hlavin. It's a cream you put on at night and wash off in the morning...it's protection lasts up to 2 weeks (doesn't help me with the damp spots but as long as I don't stink....). I have to admit, I never checked to see if there was any type of aluminum in it - just kind of assumed my naturopath would be aware. Naive?? I'll have to read the box the next time I buy some. Anyway, it works great. It's a little more pricey but it last sooo long. (If you look for it, it comes in a black box with gold writing....)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page