mineral make up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm not sure if I'm even on the right forum. I saw an infomercial on this make up, and it looks good. I know that those infomercials make everything they sell sound perfect. Just wondered if anyone here uses this or something like it? Thanks,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 05:20 PM

I found this on their FAQ page:

• Contains 100% pure minerals from the earth that feel lightweight and look totally natural.
• Contains NO preservatives, chemical dyes, fragrance, silicones, or talc.

Sounds like a fine brand. I use a different brand that also contains 100% pure minerals and no oil or any artificial ingredients. It works great.

Oh wait a minute - you have to buy their kit with pre-selected colors instead of purchasing only the colors you want? And then they bill you again every 90 days whether you need more makeup or not? That seems lame.

Quote:
Sheer Cover® 30-Day Intro Kit, Light - By ordering now, you'll be enrolled in the Home Delivery Program. As a member, you'll receive a replenishment of Sheer Cover® every 90 days and your credit card will automatically be billed $29.95 a month plus $7.95 s&h for each shipment. - SDDC
http://www.guthy-renker-store.com/sh...5b9a04a8cfcf68
Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I haven't figured out the whole pay monthly but get a new shipment every 90 days. ??

Can you let me know the brand that you use and where you buy yours and how much you spend on yours?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Yeah, the thing about mineral makeup (the brand I use, at least) is that a tiny bit goes a long way! I can't imagine ever using up the 10 grams of foundation I bought. Unless maybe I started wearing it all over my body... So reordering every 90 days seems a bit unnecessary.

I use Herbs of Grace brand. Our local Food Co-Op carries it but you can get it off their website: www.herbsofgrace.com Their sample packs are really cheap. You get 6 samples for $6 and you can choose all the colors. http://herbsofgrace.com/catalogR/pro...roducts_id=106 Those samples will last you a looong time, too.

Oh and I found Herbs of Grace prices to be very competitive, in fact much cheaper than some brands like Aromaleigh (yikes, their stuff is crazy expensive and I didn't even like their samples that I tried - samples that cost $2.50 PER TINY BAGGIE!) For example, Herbs of Grace foundation (10 grams of powder in a 30 gram container) is $17.50.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 AM

I am trying out a free sample kit from this site. They list the ingredients of the other so called natural mineral make-ups. A few of my friends really like their stuff and the price imo seems right. http://www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=home
Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliarose View Post
I am trying out a free sample kit from this site. They list the ingredients of the other so called natural mineral make-ups. A few of my friends really like their stuff and the price imo seems right. http://www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=home
I've tried a few and this is my personal favorite... love that they give out those free samples (I'm still working on my free samples -I need to actually buy some soon!)
Old 10-24-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm loving the idea of the free samples.

How the heck do you know which color to get with all those choices??? :
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
I'm loving the idea of the free samples.

How the heck do you know which color to get with all those choices??? :
Link me a picture of yourself and I'll help you choose. I'm a makeover artist.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh, that's super!! Thank you for your offer!

Let me see if I can get this to work.

Pictures

If that doesn't work, would it be okay to email them to you? My email is my user name, (at)gmail(dot)com

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 PM

That picture works great Your skin tone is neutral-to-warm with medium intensity (meaning pastel shades won't flatter you, and neither will black or other super dark colors). The shirt you're wearing in that picture is perfect for you. Let's see, in the brand I know best, I'd try these colors on you:

Foundation: Wheat is probably your closest match, but you could also try Butternut, since the sample pack lets you pick two foundations.

Lips/cheeks: Apricot and Peach would both be nice on you

Eyeshadow/liner: You have lots of choices here, so I'll just throw out a few combinations that I think would go well together (a light shade and a dark shade for contrast as well as eyeliner). Twig/Fern, Silver Moss/Rye, Fringecup/Brown Bell, Silver Moss/Cocoa - or really any combination that appeals to you. You could also go with something darker like Forest or Chocolate Lilly as your eyeliner shade, especially for evening wear.

You can apply all that to whichever brand you decide to go with, just by looking for similar colors. You'll want a foundation that says something about "golden undertones" for medium (not dark or light) complexions. HTH!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! You gave me such great information!!

I was thinking of trying the everyday minerals though, since they have the free sample, and the actual cost is cheaper if I decide to buy. Would it be too much to ask you too peak at their colors too?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM

I love, love, LOVE Everyday Minerals. I just reordered my third order from them, and it's the first make up I've ever used to the bottom and bought again. In fact, I've used it up twice now! I ordered THREE of the free sample sets before finding the right shade for me and only paid shipping each time. Customer service has been great.

They have a coupon for 5% off any order of $35 or more before Sunday, Oct 28, plus two free brushes and two free eye shadows. Here's the code: qisDRR

The lip gloss is super sheer and not highly pigmented, but I could probably mix it with some of the colors (eye shadow or blush) and make it darker. It leaves my lips super soft and just very lightly tinted.

I really like the semi-matte foundation for every day and intensive for bring-on-the-big-guns days. I also used intensive for family photos in a studio and it photographed beautifully. I used it on my MIL, who has very dry skin that flakes frequently, wrinkles, dark age spots, broken capillaries and blotchy, uneven skintone, and her skin looked seriously flawless. (I heavily moisturized her about 10 minutes before applying to help even out the dryness.) She NEVER wears make up adn she said she really liked it.

I can see how it wouldn't be as good for people with very dark skin, as the colors are rather limited at the darker end of the spectrum.

The blushes and face colors are darker than they appear and need to be applied sparingly! I went a little overboard the first few times I tried it and looked quite clownish. I have the light touch now and it's much more subtle.

You can compare the ingredients from EM to other mineral make ups on the market here: http://www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=...am=ingredients It is the only make up that has never broken me out or made me itchy, and it stays put all day.

I e-mailed them last week after reading about the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, and they've applied to be a signer for the compact of safe cosmetics maker - just pending approval. They already follow the safety guidelines and don't do any animal testing. http://www.safecosmetics.org/companies/

(I don't work for this company and have no affiliation. Just love the products!!)
Old 10-27-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Link me a picture of yourself and I'll help you choose. I'm a makeover artist.

Lisa

I've been interested in this too... would you be interested in telling me what you think my skin tones..color, whatever it is are? I'm am such an ignoramus when it comes to makeup. I wear black mascara and that's it...but as I'm aging, I really need some coverage on my face. Sigh.

LMK Thanks!
Old 10-27-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

BBM!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 AM

ANother everyday minerals user here - love it! I've still not found my perfect foundation match in any MMU just because I have a hard time figuring out undertones, etc but the good thing is you can blend/combine as needed and I've found MMU to be very forgiving (ie: if the color you chooe isn't a perfecft match it can still work while you experiement and it won't stick out like a sore thumb!) Re: the first brand the OP linked, they list Bismuth Oxichloride as an ingredient. This can make people itch and/or break out if they're sensitive to it (many are) and it is shiny, so if it's in a foundation you may not ike it. I'd go with any of the numerous small MMU companies that are more natural
Old 10-28-2007, 03:04 AM

I was just thinking that i need a colors overhaul... maybe i should try this stuff...

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:55 PM

I just ordered EM yesterday. I ordered their free sample ones and I can't wait to receive the kit I got.
The eye colors seems very cool too!

Ladies, remember to order your EM today as the coupon code is expiring TODAY

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post
Thank you! You gave me such great information!!

I was thinking of trying the everyday minerals though, since they have the free sample, and the actual cost is cheaper if I decide to buy. Would it be too much to ask you too peak at their colors too?
I looked at their site but they seem to have a plethora of warm-tone foundations. Without actually holding them in my hands and seeing them next to your skin, I can't recommend an exact match. If they offer free samples, I'd say just order several of the golden and/or buff, beige colors. Whatever you think looks close.

For cheek and lips, anything that has peachy tones. Maybe their B&B color or Sunday Brunch? Having never played with these colors, I have no idea what they look like when applied, sorry. I guess I'm not being much help. Basically, I think warm-to-neutral colors in peach, coral, browns and greens would be most flattering on you. Pick lots of free samples and find out what looks best on you
Old 10-28-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Lisa

I've been interested in this too... would you be interested in telling me what you think my skin tones..color, whatever it is are? I'm am such an ignoramus when it comes to makeup. I wear black mascara and that's it...but as I'm aging, I really need some coverage on my face. Sigh.

LMK Thanks!
Sure, I'd be happy to analyze your skin tones and suggest the color families that would best flatter your complexion Just post a picture of yourself (in good lighting, if possible!)
Old 10-28-2007, 11:39 PM

Here's one...it's a year and half old...my hair is shorter, but basically the same.

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...current=11.jpg
Old 10-29-2007, 12:16 AM

Does anyone know if Everyday Minerals ever does co-ops??

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 AM

babybugmama - If you're wearing makeup in that picture then my analysis may be off, but from what I can see, you also have neutral-to-warm skin tone, and would look best in medium-intensity shades (not pastels, not super dark colors). Do you like earth tones? Maybe even some warm-tone blues (like a deep aqua)? See my Herbs of Grace recommendations for the gal above. If I was doing a makeover on you, I'd start there. HTH
Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 AM

Sarah, I'd love some feedback as well. I am wearing makeup in this pic but not much (its Bare Escentuals "fairly light" foundation with a bit of "warmth" and that's it). Its a self-portrait when I was goofing around with a camera so its not a great shot but its as current as possible.

What do I get from Everyday Minerals - I am clueless especially on face and eye colors.

I am of Northern European descent (Welsh, Irish, etc) aka PALE. My skin is often referred to as porcelain by family. Its definitely in the "pink" family but it doesn't get much of a tan ever. I get freckles so you can tell when I've been outside but no real browning.

Do these foundations seem like a good idea?
Buff-Fair Neutral Semi-Matte
Cool-Fair Semi-Matte
Beige-Sandy Fair Semi-Matte

I have no idea what blush...

Thanks! :

Old 10-29-2007, 02:24 AM

Oh gosh, guys. I love helping and am glad that you asked, but my usefulness is very limited when it comes to a brand I've never seen in person. Every makeup is different, and it's so hard to tell just by looking on the website how it really behaves when light hits it, or when it's applied to a person's skin. I feel very confident in recommending Herbs of Grace because I've done so many makeovers with their stuff. I'll do the best I can with Everyday Minerals but please don't be unhappy if you order something I suggested and it looks awful

JuniperMama, got any pictures of yourself in daylight? Indoor light and/or camera flash light really does a number on skin tone. I hesitate to make an analysis until I can see a picture of you under more natural light Also, is that your natural hair color?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM

Thanks! You know I"m sure I had makeup on...but not much. I probably had on foundation and powder and that's it. I don't even own blush or eye shadow or any of that stuff. I would say that's a pretty accurate image of my skin color in winter - just more blotchy. I do tan very easily. I think I was really looking for what my undertones were - red, blue, etc. I've never been able to tell that.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so excited! I've orded my samples, thanks to the help from Taedareth!!! I'll let you know how it turns out. Bummer that I couldn't use that coupon though, just because I didnt' know what colors yet until I try them. Maybe they'll have another promotion like that after I try my colors.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post
Thanks! You know I"m sure I had makeup on...but not much. I probably had on foundation and powder and that's it. I don't even own blush or eye shadow or any of that stuff. I would say that's a pretty accurate image of my skin color in winter - just more blotchy. I do tan very easily. I think I was really looking for what my undertones were - red, blue, etc. I've never been able to tell that.
Oh, I see. Well, neutral-to-warm means yellow/peach tones. A person with pinkish or bluish undertones would have a cool-tone complexion. Some brands of makeup try to make this very complicated by making separate foundations for people with "red undertones" versus "blue undertones" but at that point, it's like splitting hairs. If a cool-tone person's skin is more obviously pink-tinted then they could get the "red undertones" foundation, and if someone had very porcelain skin that was slightly transparent so that they seemed to have a bluish tint, then they could get the "blue undertones" foundation. But really, it's not that complicated. Just ask yourself if you look best in silver or gold jewelry. If silver, you're cool-tone. If gold, you're warm-tone. If you honestly look fab in both, you probably have a true neutral skin tone. HTH
Old 11-01-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

It came today! My samples!! I tried one, I'll have to go up and check which color, but I like it a lot! I used a blush for the first time in ages and it's cool too. Can't wait to really try it out tomorrow without any of my other make up underneath. Too funny that just this morning I was down to the end of my old foundation, hoping it would come.

BBM~ did you order anything yet?

Anyone else?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM

My samples came and I know that I need to order some darker skin foundation. I always thought I was quite fair, but apparently not that fair. Also I got a blush that was really peachy and I am cooler in tone and need more of a pinky color.
BTW- I have been checking the website over the past few months and they seem to have some special every month.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:30 PM

I just received my kit from everyday minerals. I love them!! Although one of my foundation was too light, I emailed EM right away and they will do an exchange for me. I must add, their customer service is EXCELLENT!

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List