Buckwheat pillows! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried down pillows, down alternative, molded memory foam pillows. I've had
some luck with the memory foam pillows. However, I started waking up with a sore neck again the last month and I thought its time to replace the pillows. I read about buckwheat pillows (with mixed reviews on amazon). Then I was placing an order at MRH and saw that they carry organic buckwheat hulls. I ordered 5 lbs and poured it into a zippered pillow case and added a few drops of lavendar EO (the buckwheat hulls smell a little bit). OMG! My neck feels positively better the next day. I'm on day 2 now and I love the pillow. DH tried it last night, and he likes it too (he was skeptical at first). I'm going to get a big big bag of it and make some Christmas presents as well (think reheatable neck wraps and such...). The 5 lbs is not quite enough for a stardard size pillow so I'll probably add more in when my next order arrives. Just thought I'd mention it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-24-2007, 02:34 PM

Nothing meaningful to add, only that the post made me smile because everytime I mentioned anything buckwheat, Paul (my deceased SO) would put his fingers together and say "OOOOOTAAAAY!"

The term "buckwheat pillows" is funny too. I don't think Buckwheat's mom would have appreciated people making pillows out of him.
#3 of 14 Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Hm! This wouldn't work for me because I'm a stomach sleeper, but I might try something for my DH. I know I love my buckwheat "travel pillow" ...the kind that's shaped like a mini-boppy... for sleeping on airplanes.

Spastica,
#4 of 14 Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Nothing meaningful to add, only that the post made me smile because everytime I mentioned anything buckwheat, Paul (my deceased SO) would put his fingers together and say "OOOOOTAAAAY!"

The term "buckwheat pillows" is funny too. I don't think Buckwheat's mom would have appreciated people making pillows out of him.

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of Buckwheat from Little Rascals! LMAO!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#5 of 14 Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 PM

Ok, I started thinking of Eddie Murphy's Buckwheat and that's cracking me up.

But back to the *actual* topic: that is so good to know, because DH says he wants a buckwheat pillow (I recently got one and he likes it but says it's too small). I'd like to make him one for the holidays . . . . I was worried about the standard size pillow in buckwheat being too huge and heavy, but I'm glad to hear it works well!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#6 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 AM

Where do you get a zippered pillow case?
#7 of 14 Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Hm! This wouldn't work for me because I'm a stomach sleeper...
I know this is an old topic, but I was browsing through - is there a reason why you couldn't use a buckwheat pillow as a stomach sleeper? I currently use a contoured memory foam pillow, but I'll be moving and I'm not sure if it will make the move with me. I'm interested in trying a buckwheat pillow, but I'm also a stomach/side sleeper.
#8 of 14 Old 12-22-2007, 03:19 PM

I'm a side or stomach sleeper, and it works well for me. I suppose if you have neck problems, you'd want to adjust the height and firmness by adding or removing buckwheat hulls. Some of the pillows are sewn shut and that makes adjustments difficult, if not impossible, but other than that, I can't think of why it would be a problem.

#9 of 14 Old 12-22-2007, 03:49 PM

I have never slept on a buckwheat pillow, but back when they first came out, I laid my head on one for a few minutes in the store. The buckwheat hulls seemed to move around making a crunchy noise all the time. Does the noise bother you, or do you not notice it after a while?
#10 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 03:04 PM

yeah i also was wondering about the sound. Im a very light sleeper and also cosleep with dd

I have to say I have an organic cotton pillow, its small like a throw pillow and I love it. Im a stomach sleeper. I know pure cotton is not good for mites etc. But my pillow is so comfy.

If I were to get new pillows right now they would be pure wool fill. Im really big on wool ever since we got a wool mattress topper
#11 of 14 Old 12-25-2007, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I own a memory foam contour pillow that cost me $70 on sale and I still get a sore neck
I think I will try this. Thanks!

Decluttering 500/2010
#12 of 14 Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 PM

DH and I are on a never ending quest for decent pillows. Any feedback on the crunchy sound factor? I too am a light sleeper! And what's MRH?
#13 of 14 Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 PM

The crunchy sound doesn't bother me. It's something I've really gotten used to. I don't know if it bothers DH--he doesn't have a buckwheat pillow, but he has to listen to me moving mine around periodically in the night.

MRH is Mountain Rose Herbs.

#14 of 14 Old 12-27-2007, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

The crunchy sound doesn't bother me, and I'm a side and back sleeper. I got the zippered pillow cases (cotton pillow protectors) from Bed Bath and Beyond. I just ordered more to make pillows for the whole family. Dh is sold on it and so are my dds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page