EO's for lice prevention? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is an outbreak of lice at my son's school, so far he has been lice free, although my head really itches just thinking about it..... your's will too if you start thinking about it....

Here's my question, Are there any EO's or anything out there that we can use as a preventative so he's less likely to get them.
#2 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 PM

I've heard that tea tree oil works for ticks, maybe for lice too?
#3 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rosemary oil.

We have a spray bottle with water and rosemary oil- and I think Dd may have put a few other EOs in there as well, but I'm not sure which ones. She sprays it on her hair every day. We used it on all 3 kids when they were all in the same school and the school had a lice problem.

We also added rosemary oil to the shampoo and conditioner bottles.

The point of the EOs is to confuse the lice- if they think your child's head is a flower garden, rather than a human head, they won't lay their eggs there. Any strong-smelling EO should work, but rosemary works particularly well for this purpose.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#4 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

well tonight the boys smell good... rosemary shampoo, and then a couple drops of tea tree and lavender in the bath water that I rinsed their hair wih.

for me I washed my hair 3 times, 3 different soaps, 2 shampoos that I 'gave up' a while back but keeping around, then I mixed the teas tree and lavender oil in some water and did a concentrated rinse that I left on, with waist length hair, I do not want to end up using that little nit comb on me.

who knows if it will work or not but I feel better knowing that I'm at least trying.
#5 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 AM

I have heard that the bugs don't like eucalyptus. So if you want a change of smell from rosemary, you could try eucalyptus.
#6 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

oohhh, I have some of that, tommorrow I will dab a drop on his shirt collar Thank you!
#7 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 PM

my head is itching

::
#8 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Careful with rosemary oil - it makes your heart beat really fast and isn't recommended before going to sleep (I made that mistake once, sheesh, never again).

Also, people with high blood pressure, are pregnant, or have seizures/epilepsy should not use rosemary oil.
#9 of 9 Old 10-27-2007, 03:11 AM

I just read an article recently (and, of course, I cannot remember where!) that said to add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil as lice do not like that!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page