how to clean bathroom tiles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can anyone help me learn how to clean the bathroom tiles? we have tiles from floor to ceiling, which seem prone to developing mold. what does it take to keep these clean? TIA

#2 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 AM

Interested too. Mine is floor to ceiling on all four walls too and I absolutely hate them. The bathroom is going to be my next reno when the money tree blooms.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#3 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Get an industrial grade sprayer (like a plant/chemical sprayer from the lawn and garden section) or from Costco.

Get some oxygen bleach. OxiClean is readily available. Mix the OxiClean with some hot water in the sprayer, but don't fill the water up all the way. The mix will cause some gas and you don't want the bottle to burst (like a coke can). I usually fill 1/2 to 3/4 full. I let the bottle air out for a few minutes and then I put the nozzle on and spray the tile and grout. It's really, really awesome.

Oxygen bleach is not real bleach and it uses a hydrogen reaction to blast away stains. Because the pH is high (like borax or things that can clean very well), wear gloves when you use the product and keep the powder away from children or pets (do not ingest).

Diluted white vinegar works to a degree, but it starts eating away at the glazing and it totally eats away at grout, so I don't really recommend using that. I switched over to OxiClean when my grout started falling out of my tile, heheheh.
#4 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 AM

what about just scrubbing with oxiclean and water? Is that effective? A sprayer sounds complicated.
#5 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Spray bottles are easy to use I don't mean the electric sprayers for painting houses - I just meant industrial spray bottles, sorry for the confusion. You don't want the cheapo spray bottles because they're only good for water, not anything with a high or low pH (it affects the cheap plastic). I use industrial spray bottles for vinegar too.

It just mixes better and you can target all the tiles without using too much or throwing a bucket full of the solution. It does all the work for you really. I use a big square broom to scrub my tiles afterward. I have a bad back and I'm short and there's no way that I would get into the garden tub I have and scrub the tiles from top to bottom. The long handle works nicely for that.
#6 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 10:56 PM

We have a few areas that the grout will get moldy. The best thing we have done is to get into the habit of drying the grout lines and tiles (with a towel) after a shower and running the bathroom fan for at least 30 min.

It's a pain at times when I'm in a hurry. But I have not seen any mold since we started doing this.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#7 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 12:16 AM

Just yesterday my husband mentioned that his shower was icky, so I decided to give it a good cleaning. In an effort to save time/money/effort I did a quick search on the net, and found all the usual ideas, plus one I had not heard before. Listerine mouthwash! This sounded so preposterous that I of course had to try it.

I had a big bottle of the Wal-Mart generic version, and decided I'd sacrifice some in the interest of science (or maybe it was laziness.) Anyway, I wet a rag thoroughly and slopped it on, re-wetting the cloth as needed (this was a microcloth.) While each small wall was still very wet, I quickly scrubbed the whole surface down with a large cleaning brush. I didn't have to scrub hard. I could feel the surface tension releasing, and knew it was as clean as it was going to get. Well, guess what? It smelled great and was nice and clean. I used some Barkeepers Friend on the shower floor, and was happily done! YMMV, but it worked for me!
#8 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 12:20 AM

I see, I was envisioning some sort of heavy-duty hose like thing. The cheapo sprayers from target drive me nuts too. I have some good ones from the container store that I use for vinegar/water in the kitchen. They spray really well- I'm assuming this will work.

So when I use straight up vinegar on my (old, totally not fancy) kitchen counters is that too strong?

Can't wait to try my oxo-brite on the tiles now. If it works it might actually be fun. I've only used it in laundry- never for cleaning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page