No-pooing my toddler- loving honey! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
msp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been washing my face with honey for up to a month, and I love it. I also use it sometimes along with bs for no-pooing.

So a few weeks ago I decided to try it on my toddler's scalp instead of shampoo.

Wow! his scalp is so clean and his hair so soft and shinny.

He's never been thrilled to wash his head, but now he likes using honey because he gets to try a bit while doing it

Because where we live there're not any good natural alternatives for regular children's shampoo, I was so trying to find a natural no-tears recipe that works for him. Honey is just the perfect find

I wash his hair twice a week, but I think I could even do it once a week because it doesn't get dirty at all.
#2 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 AM

Yay, that's great!
#3 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 06:17 AM

how much do you use? would it work with cradle cap too? we have no-tears shampoo here but only in icky johnson and johnson...

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#4 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Can I use honey to wash my hair or would it leave sticky residue? (My hair is thigh-length).
#5 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 08:54 PM

Honey isn't sticky, but it is moisturizing -- too much honey and your hair can look limp and greasy. So, you can add it to your baking soda mixture to clean your hair without it feeling dry. I personally do baking soda and lightweight/silicone free conditioner. I can add a drop of honey to that mixture (1 time use).
#6 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
msp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
how much do you use? would it work with cradle cap too? we have no-tears shampoo here but only in icky johnson and johnson...
About the same amount I'd use of shampoo. I take a bit with my fingers an let ds to take a bit as well. I use liquid honey, and if it's solid I mix it with water before using.
I don't know if it would work with cladle cap. You could start using it on your face and see how it works.
We also have J&J here, and other baby brands that come in a pretty bottle with the same ingredients of adult's shampoo.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth
Can I use honey to wash my hair or would it leave sticky residue? (My hair is thigh-length).
As stated by Spastica, it won't remain sticky because it rinses very well with water. My hair is a bit greasy, so I try to use only a bit of honey, along with BS, but I'm sure the amount/frequency depends on each scalp condition.
#7 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp View Post
As stated by Spastica, it won't remain sticky because it rinses very well with water. My hair is a bit greasy, so I try to use only a bit of honey, along with BS, but I'm sure the amount/frequency depends on each scalp condition.
So how do you do that? Just take a glob of honey, mix in a dab of baking soda and work it into your scalp?
#8 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 01:47 AM

subbing

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#9 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepypeanutsmom View Post
subbing
me too...
how much of everything do you mix (eg, half honey, half BS- do you add anything else?)
#10 of 10 Old 10-29-2007, 11:16 AM

I had the best results when I dissolved the baking soda (about 1 tbsp) in 1/2 cup of water (completely) and then added a tsp or two of honey to the water. If I don't dissolve the BS in water, my hair breaks really bad.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page