"Big Girl" Skin Care - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
UmmSamiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Way upstate New York
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 6 for years now...about 3...she has complained about vaginal itching. I know how strange that sounds, but she has also complained about her stockings itching, her tighter pants itching etc. it always has something to do with her lower body, that's why I don't think it is my detergent. but I am concerned with soap. she has been checked out numerous times with our NP with no results. I am now going to overhaul her soap. i have used every mild, baby soap, even homemade soap. i could find. please help!!
UmmSamiyah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 PM
 
Ammaarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think she'd be OK just washing with water? You are Muslim, so I assume she already uses plain water after using the toilet, right? I don't think a little one really needs to use anything besides water. Maybe teach her to only use soap on the rest of her body?

Poor thing, that must be really annoying. You've ruled out yeast or similar causes? Hope you find answers soon. Salaam to you!
Ammaarah is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
UmmSamiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Way upstate New York
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
Do you think she'd be OK just washing with water? You are Muslim, so I assume she already uses plain water after using the toilet, right? I don't think a little one really needs to use anything besides water. Maybe teach her to only use soap on the rest of her body?

Poor thing, that must be really annoying. You've ruled out yeast or similar causes? Hope you find answers soon. Salaam to you!

Salaam. Yes, she does make instinga. She is always very adamant about properly cleaning herself which is why this is so confusing. I put nystatin on her thinking it was psychosomatic but that didn't fix the problem.I have tried to remind her to only soap the rest of her body but she HATES showers. (go figure) So she then sits in the soap she just washed herself with.: But thank you. I will continue to remind her to clean with water. Her legs are another thing...because she sits in the bath I am wondering if she has some weird dermatitis thing going on.
UmmSamiyah is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 PM
 
Spastica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since fall is here, she may be just dry. Try running a humidifier in the house and moisturizing her with lotion or body oil. If she's a big girl now, try switching to showers rather than baths, they will improve the dryness and the vaginal itching (sitting in soap or water takes all the moisture balance away).

I remember everything feeling itchy too - little kid's clothing looks cute, but they're not comfortable at all, especially leggings and things. All your leg hair goes through the leggings and sometimes they put stupid hearts or hard decorations on the leggings :
Spastica is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
UmmSamiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Way upstate New York
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
I remember everything feeling itchy too - little kid's clothing looks cute, but they're not comfortable at all, especially leggings and things. All your leg hair goes through the leggings and sometimes they put stupid hearts or hard decorations on the leggings :

Yea, she loves how cute they look but won't wear them! I have wasted so much on "cute" stockings. and she won't take showers. i think she is afraid of them...what are some naturally gentle lotions or soaps she could use. she is to dirty for traditional baby soap and requires more moisture than baby lotion. yet adult soaps and lotions are too abrasive.: it's like she is in the middle:
UmmSamiyah is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
 
Ammaarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmSamiyah View Post
Salaam. Yes, she does make instinga. She is always very adamant about properly cleaning herself which is why this is so confusing. I put nystatin on her thinking it was psychosomatic but that didn't fix the problem.I have tried to remind her to only soap the rest of her body but she HATES showers. (go figure) So she then sits in the soap she just washed herself with.: But thank you. I will continue to remind her to clean with water. Her legs are another thing...because she sits in the bath I am wondering if she has some weird dermatitis thing going on.
Ahh, that is tough! I used to "marinate" myself in the bathtub at that age and I often had skin itching and rashes. I had really sensitive skin then.

I hope you can find a gentle soap for her! Poor little one.
Ammaarah is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 43,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe try using coconut oil as a skin lotion after her baths?

Shorter baths may also help. Also make sure she's fully rinsed after her baths- would she be willing to stand up after the bath and use a wash cup to rinse herself off with fresh water? Any soap, no matter how mild, can be irritating if it's not properly rinsed off.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Ruthla is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
 
siennaflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hogsmeade
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently went through a detergent allergy that only affected my lower body. The areas covered by my underwear and pants would itch terribly and sometimes break into hives. I also found it strange that it only seemed to bother me from the waist down, but it was most definitely my detergent. I think if it was soap it would be most bothersome just after a bath. Is that when she complains most? Or is it after she has worn clothes for part of the day? If it is the soap, maybe give her a cup and have her stand and rinse herself off with clean water after bathing to see if that helps.

As for a good soap choice, I love Chagrin Valley products. Very moisturizing and all natural.
siennaflower is online now  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
UmmSamiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Way upstate New York
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
I recently went through a detergent allergy that only affected my lower body. The areas covered by my underwear and pants would itch terribly and sometimes break into hives. I also found it strange that it only seemed to bother me from the waist down, but it was most definitely my detergent. I think if it was soap it would be most bothersome just after a bath. Is that when she complains most? Or is it after she has worn clothes for part of the day? If it is the soap, maybe give her a cup and have her stand and rinse herself off with clean water after bathing to see if that helps.

As for a good soap choice, I love Chagrin Valley products. Very moisturizing and all natural.
what should i use as a detergent then? i have tried arm and hammer, tide, purex, and something else i can't remember. i am afraid of seventh generation because it doesn't really clean to well. not that anything else at this point has:
UmmSamiyah is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 PM
 
siennaflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hogsmeade
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently using Cheer free and clear. I was using Biokleen, that's what caused the allergy. I had to wash my clothes twice before the itching stopped, as well. Good luck, I hope something helps her soon!
siennaflower is online now  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:35 PM
 
Ammaarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Also make sure she's fully rinsed after her baths- would she be willing to stand up after the bath and use a wash cup to rinse herself off with fresh water? Any soap, no matter how mild, can be irritating if it's not properly rinsed off.
I think this is a good idea.
Ammaarah is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
 
Ygle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've also had that same experience of laundry detergent being the culprit in lower body problems, most especially the underwear area. I would actually get a rash. I suspect it is because there's more moisture there as well as more sensitive skin so the detergent is more absorbed and more irritating. I don't know what my mother switched to when I was little, but I use ALL free & clear now... also, double rinsing and absolutely no fabric softeners helps.
Ygle is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
 
thixle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poor kiddo- hope this clears soon!

For clothes, we only use Arm&Hammer Essential, ALL Free&Clear, or Purex Free&Clear... anything else, and someone in this house breaks out in the underware area. I also double rinse most of our laundry and add 1/2 cup white vinegar to the final rinse. It is a fabric "softener" and disinfectant.

For the bath, you can use coconut oil on her itchie spots BEFORE she gets in the water, that way any soap you do use will have minimal contact and her skin will stay moisturized. Though I agree that soap isn't usually necessary everywhere. Also, adding a splash of apple cider vinegar to the bath water (or rinses after potty) will help restore the skins pH to help heal itself.

Has her doc actually taken a swab to see it if is yeast? Sometimes it will not visibly present, and the doc actually has to look at a sample under a microscope (external swab only)

---feeling like an emu on acid---
thixle is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 01:49 PM
 
PapayaMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see you are in upstate we have hard water here so I use either some washing sode borax or calgon as a water softener along with Charlie's soap which is hypoallergenic our clothes are much cleaner since starting this routine. My legs hands and arms get terribly itchy and dry in the fall winter and early spring as a result of the hard water, I think, so I know the feeling. Poor little one

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
PapayaMom is offline  
Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 AM
 
newgreenmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have really really sensitive skin that just started recently. I am only able to use a laundry detergant called Puraderm. I ordered it off the net. Nothing else worked. They also have a body soap, too. Or I use California Baby super sensitive line.
newgreenmomma is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off