Barefoot in Winter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know barefoot is the best thing to be with regards to your feet. But what do you do in Winter?

At home, I wear slippers ALL DAY! Our floor is wood or stone and my feet get cold, I also see my son getting cold toes too! I don't like the idea that my feet rarely go barefoot. I am wondering if socks with rubber gripped bottoms are better than slippers.

What do you do?

Amanda treehugger.gif , UK Mum, married to airline pilot Davesurf.gif . Mum to Emily blahblah.gif (20), Jasmine  dust.gif(11) and Theo fencing.gif(7):

#2 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM

slippers
#3 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 11:48 AM

I wear socks all winter. If you've got smooth floors, the rubber grips can be helpful. I think socks are closer to barefoot than slippers, but it can depend on the slipper and how much bulk it has to it.
#4 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 PM

I've been thinking about this too. It's too cold here for barefoot already!

I usually just do socks but worry about slipping on our floors.

I was wearing my slippers all day, but I have to admit it makes me feel kind of frumpy : Maybe I need cuter slippers!!!

I bought a cute pair of flats thinking I would wear them around the house - and I *do* if I am cleaning and need to run outside and such, but I'm finding they aren't nearly as comfy as just socks or slippers, so I end up kicking them off......They don't have great arch support I guess, so maybe if I put some insole thingys in there it would help.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#5 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Not sure how barefeet on stone is any good for the health of your feet or muscles, but our entire family wears flip flops (cheapo $1 ones up to nicer ones with supportive/strategic massaging nubs). I wear socks in the winter and moisturize with cocoa butter during the winter (or lotion, olive oil, or coconut oil during the rest of the year).

I was born with flat feet, but my feet are fairly nice apart from that. Numerous people have commented on my feet and it gets embarrassing. My grandmother (who passed away this year) used to say my feet looked like little loaves of bread, Paul used to say my toes were like peas. Somebody at work said a few weeks ago that my feet looked untouched and has never seen a pinching high heeled shoe in it's life.

Go figure!
#6 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Banned

ugh dont u hate this time of year when you have to cover your feet and your kids feet such a bummer- anyway i knit myself socks! they sure are soft and feel nice!
#7 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 AM

I'm usually barefoot. Winter, summer, doesn't matter to me. And I typically can't sleep wearing socks, but if it is super cold, I will.
#8 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My littlest is wearing socks and robeez. My oldest is wearing slippers.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#9 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 PM

socks & leather/lined moccasins. The slippers help my feet stay warm as socks alone won't do it.
#10 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I will keep wearing slippers then- though I was thinking of some Ugg boots as they are so light and comfy!!! I go through slippers so frequently cos I a homebody and at home so much. None of my slippers are leather though;all fabric.

My younger two just won't wear anything on their feet!!! And I love cold feet in bed (my own only!!) I cannot sleep with socks on.

Amanda treehugger.gif , UK Mum, married to airline pilot Davesurf.gif . Mum to Emily blahblah.gif (20), Jasmine  dust.gif(11) and Theo fencing.gif(7):

#11 of 11 Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaDisciple View Post
I guess I will keep wearing slippers then- though I was thinking of some Ugg boots as they are so light and comfy!!!
DH literally lives in his bootie slippers like the Ugg boots. He's also had shearling slippers from LL Bean that fit like lined mocassins (no sole, just sewn leather). I guess mocs might be the way to go (worked for native Americans).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page