Adding EOs to my skin and hair care routine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just reading about lemongrass and it's great properties for your complexion and rosemary and jojoba for your hair.

So what EOs do you use in your own homemade bodycare products? How do you use them? Yes it's a very broad question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 08:34 PM

I try to stick to tea tree oil for my face, and grapefruit oil and a few others for my body.

I try to avoid rosemary oil because it hikes up your blood pressure and it makes you restless and jumpy before you go to sleep. It should be avoided by pregnant women, people with tendencies toward high blood pressure, and definitely avoided by those with epilepsy or prone to seizures.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

okay that makes me want to not mess with any EOs.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 AM

Jojoba isn't an essential oil, so feel free to use as much of it as you want. Lavender and citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit) are some of the safest EOs, although of course they must be diluted before use (although you actually can put a drop of lavender directly on a cut or bug bite).

To learn more about safe and practical uses of essential oils, look for the book The Fragrant Pharmacy by Worwood.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:34 AM

Jojoba isn't an essential oil, so feel free to use as much of it as you want. Lavender and citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit) are some of the safest EOs and can be used throughout pregnancy. Of course like all EOs they must be diluted before use (although you actually can put a drop of lavender directly on a cut or bug bite).

To learn more about safe and practical uses of essential oils, look for the book The Fragrant Pharmacy by Worwood.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

I slather on jojoba. I'm always a little nervous about EOs, b/c I can never remember which ones are harmless and which ones carry some fine print or other with it. Thanks for the guide recommendation. I definitely need one. Good to know about lavender and citrus. I was going to buy some weleda rosemary hair oil to try adn then read that there's not much else in there but rosemary and jojoba, so I wanted to try it.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes, it's important to remember that EOs aren't benign--they're rather potent little mixes which can do harm as well as good, especially if used improperly with regards to mixing. If you're applying an EO directly to your skin, in MOST cases it's best to mix it wth a carrier oil (to avoid burns, etc). Jojoba works fine as a carrier oil; so do avocado oil, apricot kernel oil, grapeseed oil etc. Avocado does smell kinda avocadoey, though!

I WO my hair, so occasionally I rub a little jojoba into my ends to keep them moist. I've used tea tree oil on pimples before (diluted in a carrier, again; otherwise you get all red and itchy, not good!), and I've used lavender as a massage oil. Neither recently, because of pregnancy. Lavender's also lovely in an oil burner, of course.

Other oils (not EOs, just oils) that I use for body care include coconut oil for my elbows (and feet if I could be bothered), emu oil for my psoriasis, olive oil for my body in general and Bio-Oil, at the moment, for my torso in order to hopefully ward off stretch marks.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just getting into these oils. I use coconut oil with bs in my deo, but haven't yet gotten used to thinking that olive oil is for my elbows as well as eggplant. How do you use it? Just rub it on where you're dry? And coconut oil? It's almost like shea butter in consistency now. I guess it's just a nice little rough skin salve? I've never heard of bio oil or emu oil!

Yeah I was avoiding most EOs when pregnant and I'm kinda still in that mode- but I'd like to get creative and use some.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:23 PM

I use coconut oil just out of the shower, still damp, as a total body moisturizer. It traps the water underneath. I also use it on the ends of my hair, wet or dry, for added conditioning and shine. I don't really use EOs though except for adding fragrance to whipped shea.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM

I have a friend that makes soap for a living and she uses EO in most of the recipes. My favorite uses peppermint and spearmint, both of which should not be used during pregnancy. Other favorites include lavender, cederwood, lemongrass and tea tree and I know she has a bunch of others too.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

User Tag List