I can't stop washing my hair everyday...but I'd like to! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My title says it all. I've attempted this several times over the past years. Now Im 34 and I STILL wash my hair everyday. If i dont, it drives me insane. My hair stylist a few years back even tried to help me by giving me a bottle of 'dry clean only' stuff to get over that itchy oily feeling you get when you first stop.

I'll be honest, part of the reason i cant stand it is because i often wake up and feel like my face is gross and wrinkly. And the shower relaxes the muscles in my face and then i feel better. And then i hate being in the shower and not having my hair wet....and it all goes from there.

Give me some encouragement, tips, anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 01:38 AM

Do you have thick hair? Do you sleep with your head covered? I do both and I also wash my hair almost every day. I recently started trying to wash it every other day but sometimes I just can't do it. My hair looks so much better if I only wash it every other day and I've noticed I can cut my shower time by 5 min. (thus saving water) if I don't wash my hair. I'm 32 and ever since I can remember I've washed my hair daily so this is new to me too. I'm slowly starting to get used to it because I think it's for the best.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Me too. I'm thinking i should go over to the Long Hair community and find a support group.

My hair isn't too thick and I don't sleep with it covered. Maybe i should? I am going to be starting with the oil cleaning method for my face so maybe that will help tame my need to scrub my face every morning.

Ok, so this morning I washed my hair. Lame excuse: DD2 has a doctors appointment and I thought I didn't want to be sitting around feeling gross.

Tomorrow, will be day 1. My hair just feels awful. I think it was fine in our 20s to wash everyday but now that I'm getting older, it seems my hair is getting dryer and coarser and the washing is just not good.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 AM

I'm just like you..... I cant be in a shower without washing my hair, its just not complete unless i wash....... so i only shower every 2-3 days but i still feel gross and really........ if i had more time and space, i would shower everyday still. I just do conditioning treatments instead :
Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 AM

I *finally* got away from having to wash my hair daily. For me it took geting rid of the bangs -- my bangs always look dorky after I've slept on them, and they have to be styled because I have huge dorky cowlicks, and in order to style them they have to be clean. The bummer about that was that my hair was dry from so much washing, and the blow-drying blew out my natural wave. Also... I have really sensitive skin and the shampoo left a film behind that attracted dirt so that I'd end up greasy and itching withn a day. I'm using Dr. Bronner's now, and that seems to not leave behind as much of a residue, although I don't know if it's that or the fact that I'm only washing my hair every 4-5 days now, that keeps it from getting itchy. I still haven't figured it all out. But I am sure loving the convenience of not having to wash my hair every day in order to look "decent", and I love seeing my natural wave.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:24 AM

I used to *need* to wash my hair every day and had done for ever. It was greasy and lank by the next morning. Then I decided to try "no pooing" and it totally fixed the problem. I was SO surprised when I was just giving it a go to get away from having to buy shampoo and go even more natural than buying the natural shampoos I had been previously.

I found after the first baking soda/ACV wash that my hair felt so soft and very clean, but very smooth and manageable, I couldn't recall it ever being like that before. I still *wash* every 2nd day (as in baking soda), and the days in between I'm actually able to get away with just rinsing in plain water (the warm shower water removes a certain amount of grease just like washing your hands under warm water without soap).

Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised. I will never buy shampoo again, I'm totally converted.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 AM

How about just wetting your hair in the shower, but not actually washing it with shampoo or anything? That way you aren't stripping it of it's natural oils, but will still have that clean feeling?

Mom to three and owner of Earthetarian Happy, healthy and handmade.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I shower daily and wet my hair daily, but that doesn't mean I shampoo or cleanse my hair daily. I used to be a voracious daily Biolage user and couldn't go a day without shampooing or I'd be scratching and itching and feeling so gross and oily I couldn't stand it.

Now I use less detergents and alternate between baking soda & conditioner combo and the Avalon organics shampoo that has coco betaine instead of sodium lauryl sulfate. Now that it's fall/winter, I can skip up to 2 or 3 days, but I would be able to at least skip 1 day in summer. Finger scrubbing the scalp around parts that tend to get oily on the 3rd day onward (if you and your scalp can make it that far), between shampooings, seems to help (temples, sideburns, crown, back of head). I still have to condition my ends daily with something, esp during the winter, or else my ends feel very strawlike and dry.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post

I found after the first baking soda/ACV wash that my hair felt so soft and very clean, but very smooth and manageable, I couldn't recall it ever being like that before. I still *wash* every 2nd day (as in baking soda), and the days in between I'm actually able to get away with just rinsing in plain water (the warm shower water removes a certain amount of grease just like washing your hands under warm water without soap).

Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised. I will never buy shampoo again, I'm totally converted.
Whats ACV? Off to do a search.....

Ok. Im trying this tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:20 PM

AAAAAAAAACK wait!!!

ACV is apple cider vinegar. Please - before you start dumping baking soda and vinegar on your head, you need to understand what it's all about. Come back!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
AAAAAAAAACK wait!!!

ACV is apple cider vinegar. Please - before you start dumping baking soda and vinegar on your head, you need to understand what it's all about. Come back!

I'm still here.

I'm not one to one to waste baking soda without exhausting MDCs search engine first. This is germany. Its HARD to find baking soda here. Its like liquid....um.....powdered GOLD to me.

I meant I was going to try not to wash my hair tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

And now the baking soda goddess is gone. Ack! You come back!

MDCs search engine is driving me bonkers, I'm not coming up with much.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM

I'm here

Okay, here's your homework. Read at least a few of these links to understand what "No Poo" (specifically, no shampoo) is. It doesn't mean you don't clean your hair.

You can clean hair with a natural shampoo that does not have sodium laureth or lauryl sulfate in it, and uses coco betaine or something milder in it OR baking soda (with or without conditioner, but if you have thick hair, I recommend conditioner) and hot water in the mixture, rinse; spray diluted ACV on the lower half of your hair (ears down); rinse. Condition if needed.

But again, before you go do all that - please read a few links I posted on this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=469624

and there's some info nuggets here - my post is the very bottom of the page:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=114069&page=5

There. My conscience is clean. You can do whatever you'd like now that you have the right resources. The one thing I don't like is people trying stuff they hear from here, do it all wrong, and then come back with "IT DIDN'T WORK, you weirdos!"

Reading more information, as always with anythinb, gives you more likelihood of success.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

:

And I'm in no position to call ANYONE a weirdo. Note that i used the left-handed note taking smiley....

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:32 PM

Oh yeah, I should have added to the end of my post "if you're interested in this idea, find the no-poo threads and learn what you need to do" - just didn't want to leap in with ALL the info if it wasn't the type of info you were after. I guess, *I* don't take info at face value and go off and find out the hows and whys so assume others automatically would too - which you did anyway.

I found I had about a 6wk adjustment period where I needed to find the perfect combo of bs and ACV for my hair type and once I'd worked through the grease issue it all balanced out and I have a nice working system. I also had times of needing to use conditioner on the ends, but not any longer. Interestingly I used a natural shampoo/conditioner prior to no-pooing and it was just as bad for my hair as the supermarket brands. Not to mention that the natural stuff had been causing my eczema on my hands which I only realised once stopping using it! :

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

6 week adjustment? noted.

Ok today was day 1 and i guess i still washed my hair. I did a lot of reading last night and came up with A LOT of options so i started with the Baking soda article on LHC and used 1 TB baking soda mixed with hot water and 2 TB balsalmic vinegar. I did use a leeetle bit of shampoo to start with because i read in one of Spasticas posts that its ok to wean myself off the shampoo.

My goal, i guess is to switch to BS and ACV, but eventually move towards not even wetting my hair everyday. Eventually, I would like my natural oils to do their job and make my hair shiny and beautiful.

Its a little hard because the feeling of my hair without adding gobs of shampoo and conditioner just doesn't feel as good - its not as slippery or easy to comb. But I'm trying to keep a mantra in my head that that slipperiness is fake and temporary.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 PM

Well conditioned hair will have some slip, you don't have to shampoo with detergents to do that. Also, is there a benefit to not wetting your hair? I do everyday - I have to or else I get bedhead and I want to rinse all the pollen and other garbage that my hair attracts when I go out. I don't see the benefit of not wetting your hair unless you have super dry hair or african-american/african hair.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Well conditioned hair will have some slip, you don't have to shampoo with detergents to do that. Also, is there a benefit to not wetting your hair? I do everyday - I have to or else I get bedhead and I want to rinse all the pollen and other garbage that my hair attracts when I go out. I don't see the benefit of not wetting your hair unless you have super dry hair or african-american/african hair.
Ah, theres an artificial benefit. My Dhs family has a chalet in the Alps and I want to be able to LIKE going there (because it is very nice), despite the fact that I can't easily shower there. So i thought if i get used to not washing, I won't be so begrudging of visiting the in laws.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogirl View Post
I'm still here.

I'm not one to one to waste baking soda without exhausting MDCs search engine first. This is germany. Its HARD to find baking soda here. Its like liquid....um.....powdered GOLD to me.

I meant I was going to try not to wash my hair tomorrow.
Hi Astrogirl. I live in Germany, too, and just found out from my husband that we can find baking soda in some of the shops here but you have to look hard. It is in the little orange box from Arm & Hammer. Dh has found it in the Walmarts here (Walmart has left Germany this past year, so that might be tricky) and Tengelmann. I assume, if Tengelmann has it, so might a few other shops.

I've just recently switched from shampooing to BS as well. It's been working really well so far. I only wash my hair about once a week, then use conditioner (it needs it, it is waist length), then rinse with ASV to fight the hard water build up. I like to add a few drops of lavendar and tea trea oil to the baking soda. It smells so nice.

intactlact.gif  Mum to five kids ages 16, 13, 9 and 4 years and baby K born 11/12!  And five angel babies angel1.gif
Old 11-10-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I have found baking soda here. There was this italian black market shop near our old house, so i stocked up there. Now we live in a tiny village with NO big stores - just a tiny little Edeka here that only sells baking soda in tiny packets.

At any rate, I have some, but I've learned to hold on tight to my baking soda because I never know when Ill be able to pick some up again!

When you say you only wash once a week, does that include the BS? I would love to only wash once a week (ok maybe twice). My hair has been doing ok this past week with BS and ACV. One day I think i did something wrong and it felt dry - but it was just that one day. Right now I have some Jojoba oil in it in a loose french braid and it feels so healthy.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Oh I have found baking soda here. There was this italian black market shop near our old house, so i stocked up there. Now we live in a tiny village with NO big stores - just a tiny little Edeka here that only sells baking soda in tiny packets.
In packets? Are you sure you aren't getting baking powder (Backpulver) rather than baking soda? If you find a Tengelmann or one of the larger stores that used to be Walmart, perhaps you can stock up a bit. I've never actually looked in our Edeka.

Quote:
At any rate, I have some, but I've learned to hold on tight to my baking soda because I never know when Ill be able to pick some up again!
Yes, I know how that is.

Quote:
When you say you only wash once a week, does that include the BS? I would love to only wash once a week (ok maybe twice). My hair has been doing ok this past week with BS and ACV. One day I think i did something wrong and it felt dry - but it was just that one day. Right now I have some Jojoba oil in it in a loose french braid and it feels so healthy.
I am washing once a week with BS, yes. If it starts to feel a little oily in between, I sprinkle a little corn starch on my scalp and brush it through really well and that does the trick. I only need to do it maybe once between washings.

intactlact.gif  Mum to five kids ages 16, 13, 9 and 4 years and baby K born 11/12!  And five angel babies angel1.gif
Old 11-11-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guen View Post
In packets? Are you sure you aren't getting baking powder (Backpulver) rather than baking soda? If you find a Tengelmann or one of the larger stores that used to be Walmart, perhaps you can stock up a bit. I've never actually looked in our Edeka.
No, its baking soda, I'm quite sure. Natron or whatever its called. But that would be funny if it wasn't since I use it to brush my teeth every once in a while!

User Tag List