How do you store your BS, brown sugar, and honey? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who no-poo and/or wash with honey, how do you store your goodies?

I no-poo with BS and I wash my face with honey, and sometimes add brown sugar to either. Any tips on how to store this stuff in the shower?

I've read that someone mixes the BS and honey and makes little "no-poo balls", dries them out, and then can use one at a time. Seems like a great idea.

Anybody have any other storage tips?

TIA!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Arm and Hammer makes plastic shaker containers for baking soda, so I reuse that (it's in the baking aisle). My honey stays in the jar that it comes in and I keep it in my medicine cabinet because I wash my face with it in the sink.

The brown sugar, I keep in a plastic tupperware container, suited for small amounts of dressings or sauces. I keep this stuff beside my tub, away from water. If I need to cart it around (like if guests are over and it would be stupid to have all this weird stuff around) - I put it in a plastic shower organizer caddy.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 PM

I keep BS on the back of the toilet in an empty peanut butter jar. I've found that metal lids on glass jars get rusty in the bathroom. I use BS for no-poo sometimes (more often on the kids than myself) and as deodorant.
I use plastic bear honey on my face (we eat the good, local, jarred stuff) so I just put the bear in the shower.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM

I use a Cheerios Tot Container for my bs. I use it straight to scrub my armpits, and put a couple pinches in a cup to dilute for hair. I keep in on a shelf on the end opposite the showerhead. I imagine it's not watertight.
It's a lot easier to use that than anything else I've tried. I'm all for the lazy way of doing things. lol

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 PM

I put my BS in an empty glass spice jar with a shaker lid. Honey goes into a plastic squeeze bottle from the cosmetic aisle. We keep both in the plastic shower caddy.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

These are great suggestions. Thanks so much!

Another question...how do you girls keep your brown sugar from turning into a hard rock?

Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 PM

I refill a honey bear with my honey. I can't find the shaker baking soda anywhere here, so I have my bs in a Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic shaker.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfidget View Post
These are great suggestions. Thanks so much!

Another question...how do you girls keep your brown sugar from turning into a hard rock?

Thanks again!
I use light brown sugar versus dark brown sugar (which is more packed and more rock-like over time!). Don't get the sugar wet. Rather than dipping your hands into your plastic container, shake some out.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I keep a cardboard box of baking soda in my bathroom cabinet. I have a small plastic cup that I keep in the shower on a high shelf. I refill it with baking soda as needed. I keep a separate cardboard box of baking soda in the kitchen for cooking purposes.

I have a huge jug of vinegar under the bathroom sink. I keep a smaller plastic jug of vinegar in the shower that I refill as needed.

What do you use the brown sugar for? I only use it in baking- or sometimes for eating plain!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
What do you use the brown sugar for? I only use it in baking- or sometimes for eating plain!
I wonder too! Did I read right that people use honey to wash their face? I'd think that's what you'd want to wash off, please illuminate!

Mommy to kids

Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Some people use it to exfoliate, just like BS.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

I use brown sugar and honey together as a yummy face scrub, and sometimes I put brown sugar in with baking soda when i no-poo.

I looked for the shaker baking soda today without luck...so I think I'll just use an empty spice container instead.

I love no-pooing and washing my face with honey and sugar, but it can be so cumbersome. you girls have given me some great tips on keeping the goodies at my fingertips to streamline the routine. thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 AM

I don't want to hijack, but isn't it hard to rinse off? Do you have to use really hot water to rinse honey and sugar out of your hair? Please tell me more!

Mommy to kids

Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natensarah View Post
I don't want to hijack, but isn't it hard to rinse off? Do you have to use really hot water to rinse honey and sugar out of your hair? Please tell me more!
Nope, not hard to rinse out at all. I suppose if you put sticky honey straight in your hair it might be. I mix BS, brown sugar, and a little honey in a color applicator bottle with a couple tablespoons hot water, and shake it up till everything's dissolved. Then I either add cool water or conditioner and shake, and use that for my no-poo wash.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 PM

I made BS & honey balls but they just squished together after a few days. How do you dry them out?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 PM

I mix my BS and EO and honey together and keep it in a little tupperware container. When I wash my hair I just scoop out a couple teaspoons and hold my hand under a little shower spray.

I keep my honey in a honey bear but it's crystalized on me.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM

my honey is in an old water bottle on my shower shelf. a lot comes out when i use it, but after i slap some on my face i usually just slather it everywhere else. my bs is in an old tupperware container from my kitchen. i keep it in the shower with a teaspoon and a seperate empty container to do the mixing. my acv "conditioner" is in an old shampoo bottle with a pump. i just pump it straight onto my head.
Quote:
put a few marshmallows in with the sugar. they keep it nice and fresh.

User Tag List