I think I converted two people at the grocery store today and a Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was my first time using my canvas bags for my groceries. I had two weeks worth of shopping in 9 bags. I was impressed by how much they held! It worked out perfectly

Anyway, it was snowing so there wasn't very many people there, but two people asked me about my bags. I gave them the web address where I got them. One man even said "I really hate those plastic bags!" I said yeah, me too

My question is, what do you do if you purchase meat or chicken and it leaks in your bags? Just toss them in the wash, or do you use a plastic bag for that? I just tossed them in the canvas, and I checked and nothing leaked, but eventually I am sure it will. I don't want to wear the bags out if I wash them too much. But I guess that is the point, to be washable

I calculated that I saved at least 20 plastic bags today by using cloth! Yay!!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#2 of 10 Old 12-03-2007, 03:02 PM

The one thing I wish I couldn't figure out is how not to forget my canvas bags at home. :

I'd probably wash the bags myself if something leaked... Or come with a solution where I had a special bag that was lined with something for possible spillables.
#3 of 10 Old 12-03-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiana View Post
The one thing I wish I couldn't figure out is how not to forget my canvas bags at home. :
We just put them back in the front seat of the car after we've put away the groceries.
#4 of 10 Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiana View Post
I hang my bags (all stuffed into one bag) on the same hook as my purse near the back door. When I grab my purse to go shopping, the bags are right there.
I also have a "wet bag" just like the one I used to use for cloth diapers (in fact it is the one i used for cloth diapers) made of a water proff fabric that I toss in the wash. It's heald up pretty well.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#5 of 10 Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 PM

You can wash reusable bags, I had to before because they were on the floor and my cat peed on them! :
But we put meat in plastic and then put it in the shopping bag. I don't want to take the chance of contaminating our other food if it leaks.
#6 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM

A wet bag,(like for diapers but one you hopefully don't use for dipes ) would be perfect for the leaky meat problem.
#7 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 10:11 PM

I have never had leaky meat before. One time I did have a crack in a milk jug and it leaked and I just washed the bag. I use to forget my bags all the time, and now I just put them with my purse for the next time I head to the car.
#8 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 10:53 PM

Jaime, could I ask where you got your bags?

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#9 of 10 Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

I got them from ecobags.com, howeve, I think she only sells on ebay now, so you can check it out there. I love them

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#10 of 10 Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 PM

Thanks! I'll go search ebay. I've got a few canvas bags, but they're like bookstore bags...they aren't flat on the bottom so groceries don't sit in them really well.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page