alternative to hot tub chemicals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-18-2003, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We bought a house last year that has a hot tub. We've had so many house projects since we moved in, we haven't had time to get the hot tub up and running yet...but we're almost ready now, and pretty clueless about the whole thing. We doubt we'll use it very often, so do we need to treat the water if we're going to just use it for, say, one day, and then drain it? Or, better yet, is there a safe alternative to the standard chemicals used?

Thanks for any insight!

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-20-2003, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted a similar question here a few weeks ago, and I have learned so much about hot tubs.

You have to treat the water. You have to keep water in the tub. Once it has been filled, the pipes wll never fully drain, and the acryiic will dry out and get cracks unless you keep water in it. So filling it up for a soak and then empying it is not wise. Plus 350-550 gallons of water for one soak is a tad wasteful, eh?

Most people with spas change the water 2-3 times a year!

I also wanted a chemical free spa. I don't want chlorine or bromine. I found an enzyme system on the web, which is 100% natural, but it did nothing, and I wouldn't recomend it if you find it. My spa got really slimy from it actually.

What we ended up with is the nature 2 system. It is a filter that slips into your exsisting filter, and it works great!!! It is the most natural thing I could find, and I obsessed on this for weeks. You do have to add monopersulfate, which is basically a dried form of salt and hydrogen peroxide. It is a chemical, but it isn't chlorine.

I also have an ozonator, which is pricey, but is also chemical free.
http://www.nature2.com/spas.asp
#3 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info! I checked out the link to the nature2 website, and it sounds like what we're looking for. And they have a few dealers in our town. I'd love to get it all figured out for some fall soaks!

I'll have to go back and read your post. I had searched for hot tubs before I posted, and didn't come up with anything. I think there was a technical problem. Oh well.

Thanks again!

Paula
#4 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 03:36 AM

Paula,
Actually I posted the question, but got no replies
I did so much research on this, it is amazing. Have fun!!
#5 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 11:50 PM

I don't know how interested you'd be in this, but my aunt and uncle keep their hot tub "fresh" by putting hydrogen peroxide in it. One major side effect though: it actually rejuvenates you, so you become more awake and feel "more alive" after soaking. Not exactly a good way to just sit back and relax.

Momma to the monkeys three
#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 11:57 PM

It's fine to drain jacuzzis ( I don't know about wooden hottubs) and store them without water, provided they arne't uncovered and in direct sun. We stored ours for months without water in our garage when we moved and had no cracking problems.

If you want to be virtually chemicle free, I'd investigate and ozonator.
#7 of 9 Old 08-22-2003, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, Renee and Arduinna! I will look into the ozonator. How spendy is spendy (for the ozonator?) We just really don't think we're going to use the tub that much, and don't want to pour money into it (even if we had any $). We just would like to be able to run it seasonally, maybe fall and spring, with minimum chemicals. It hasn't had water in it for the past year at least - since we moved in. It's a big plastic tub, in our deck. Is this the kind that cracks? Thanks again!

Paula
#8 of 9 Old 08-22-2003, 10:46 PM

Our ozonator was around 300. You still need to use chemicals though. Just less! It's better than chlorine though!

Our spa is 10 years old and has lots and lots of hairline cracks. I had a guy come out and he told me it was from sitting with no water on and off through the years, He said acrylic needs moisture to stay in good shape, or it dries out and cracks. On the other hand, lots of people have outdor seasonal spas without cracks too.
:

Renee, how do they do the hydogen peroxide?? Just add as needed? Do they put anything else in? I'm intrigued by this.
#9 of 9 Old 07-14-2014, 08:38 AM

Thumbs up ClearBlue Ionizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymama View Post
Thanks for the great info! I checked out the link to the nature2 website, and it sounds like what we're looking for. And they have a few dealers in our town. I'd love to get it all figured out for some fall soaks!<br><br>
I'll have to go back and read your post. I had searched for hot tubs before I posted, and didn't come up with anything. I think there was a technical problem. Oh well.<br><br>
Thanks again!<br><br>
Paula
You can also try the ClearBlue Ionizer - it is similar to Nature2, but has a more advance output of minerals so you won't get staining.

http://www.clearblueionizer.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page