I can't believe I didn't try the Diva Cup earlier!?! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm nearly off to Germany so I'll get mine within the next few days. I guess I'll be able to share my experiences around mid-month.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#62 of 79 Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I ordered a Diva cup maybe 2 months before getting pregnant with DS1. It got lost over the several moves we made during that pregnancy. Between DSs1&2 I had no PPAF, so no need for one. A couple of months ago, I finally got AF back, and after two AFs decided to order the Diva cup again. It arrived in time for my next period -- but now I'm pregnant again.

So I was reading the packaging, and it says to discard after a year. Is that really necessary? Especially if over the year I only used it for one period? (I'm pretty sure I won't be comfortable using it for PP bleeding)
#63 of 79 Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used my last cup for 3 years I think and it was fine til I kinda melted it... The story is back a few pages somewhere...
Anyway I wouldn't chuck it, personally... I don't know that much about the properties of silicone, but it seems pretty stable. Maybe someone else knows more and will chime in.
I just ended my first cycle w/my new cup and had to use tampons for a few months of periods between the old one dying and the new one getting ordered... It made me realized just how much I LOVE : my diva cup and how much I despise tampons lol

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#64 of 79 Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

About getting rid of it after a year. Mine is 18 mos old but I've only worn it a few days each month. Otherwise it just lays in it's drawstring bag in my bathroom drawer.

I don't see how it could get damaged unless you melted it while boiling it. I just wash mine with soap and water. It's not as crystal clear as it was when I got it but it isn't horribly discolored either.
#65 of 79 Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 PM

QUOTE=Dov'sMom;14052707]So I was reading the packaging, and it says to discard after a year. Is that really necessary? Especially if over the year I only used it for one period? (I'm pretty sure I won't be comfortable using it for PP bleeding)[/QUOTE]

When I first started using the Keeper (it was my first cup) back in 2001, the packaging said the cup was good for 10 years. I've still seen it advertised as such. Discarding after a year must be a new thing.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#66 of 79 Old 07-12-2009, 09:20 AM

OK, maybe someone on here can help me with my Diva Cup issues. I got one for the return of my cycle at 8 months PP (5 months ago). So I've had some practice now. But I can't get it to work right. It's wicked uncomfortable, and I feel like it moves around every time I sit or stand. If I put it up higher, it leaks. Often, if I feel it with my fingers, it hasn't fully "popped" open, so it's still partly folded over. It's especially bad at night, when it'll catch the flow for a few hours, then dump it out in a gush when I shift positions. My cloth pads can't keep up with that kinda flow and it makes an enormous mess. I went back to tampons at night because I can't figure out this thing. Any ideas??

Oh and part of me feels like its too big to open properly, but I'm nearly 30 (28.5) and vaginally birthed a child (off the charts head and all), so it seems like I should need the size 2...

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#67 of 79 Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It sounds like you may want to try the size 1. I'm 32 and while and I haven't birthed yet, when I ordered my new one last month I got the size 1 cuz it worked before I was 30 and I'm on the petite side, and just cuz you turn 30 doesn't mean you magically get bigger inside all of a sudden
Sometimes even after years of practice I can have trouble getting the thing to open all the way especially at the beginning of my period-bearing down or pulling it almost all the way out so that it can open up and then pushing it back in can help. If you know it's open all the way, and you've pushed it up high, make sure your cervix is *in* the cup and not outside of it by feeling around the outside w/your finger.
Good Luck!
Oh and I got mine for about $20 online and even if I have to get the size 2 after I give birth it's worth it to me. (my local health food store sells them for about $40, so shop around-google shopping makes it easier to find ones for less)

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#68 of 79 Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
OK, maybe someone on here can help me with my Diva Cup issues. I got one for the return of my cycle at 8 months PP (5 months ago). So I've had some practice now. But I can't get it to work right. It's wicked uncomfortable, and I feel like it moves around every time I sit or stand. If I put it up higher, it leaks. Often, if I feel it with my fingers, it hasn't fully "popped" open, so it's still partly folded over. It's especially bad at night, when it'll catch the flow for a few hours, then dump it out in a gush when I shift positions. My cloth pads can't keep up with that kinda flow and it makes an enormous mess. I went back to tampons at night because I can't figure out this thing. Any ideas??

Oh and part of me feels like its too big to open properly, but I'm nearly 30 (28.5) and vaginally birthed a child (off the charts head and all), so it seems like I should need the size 2...
As I've mentioned before, the Diva is the longest cup of the bunch but as prescottchels mentioned it can't hurt to try the size 1. (Adding link again, all cup measurements in the article.)

As for trying out cups, the Diva cup doesn't have a return policy but some of the other cups do. The Keeper (latex) and the U.S. Mooncup (silicone version of the Keeper) have a 3 month return period I think.

#69 of 79 Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Can't you feel it? I rarely can, and I'm apparently kind of small since I couldn't use a diaphragm--the smallest size felt like I was carrying an entire plate in there and took up too much space for us to have sex comfortably. The Diva is short enough that when the top is up near the cervix, the bottom should be just above your pubic bone where you will not feel it. I did have to trim the stem completely off.

How do you get it out without spilling all over? Pinch it to break the suction, then pull it straight down, keeping it upright. Don't hook your finger in the rim and pull on that; that will make it spill.

If it won't unfold: Somebody on these boards posted a "dance" that works really well for me! First rotate your hips as if hula-hooping. Then do some high marching steps. It really works! (I don't know why. )

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#70 of 79 Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
If it won't unfold: Somebody on these boards posted a "dance" that works really well for me! First rotate your hips as if hula-hooping. Then do some high marching steps. It really works! (I don't know why. )
:

I just pictured myself doing that during my next cycle. I'll have to try it even if for no other reason than it gives me a chuckle. I usually have no problems with it unfolding but that image is just going to stick with me, so I'll have to try it myself.

#71 of 79 Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13 View Post
:

I just pictured myself doing that during my next cycle. I'll have to try it even if for no other reason than it gives me a chuckle. I usually have no problems with it unfolding but that image is just going to stick with me, so I'll have to try it myself.
Me too - I'm still chuckling!

So, I got mine and have used it for the past 2 cycles. I think it's a great product - only it needs some practice. (I've used tampons for about the past 2 decades, combined with cloth pads for about 10 years now.)
I didn't have any leaks (wow! and I am usually "messy" in some way), only I still have to work a bit on the right fit. I feel it's either too high up (read: hard to get out) or I get "stung" from the stem. So far I didn't dare to trim the stem - when it's gone it's gone, right?

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#72 of 79 Old 08-30-2009, 07:04 PM

Can it be inserted one handed? I'm frequently holding a baby when I use the bathroom.

What is the problem with using a too small cup?
#73 of 79 Old 08-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Can it be inserted one handed? I'm frequently holding a baby when I use the bathroom.
Yeah, I've done it with a baby, and 4 other kids hanging around/onto me.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#74 of 79 Old 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM

I love my Diva Cup.

There definitely is a little bit of a learning curve at first, but once I got the hang of it I wouldn't go back to tampons. I had previously tried the Instead cups but they never worked (too big).

I use the size #1 even though I am 37 as I am petite.

I travel a lot, use it in public restrooms, just empty it out, wipe with TP, and re-insert. In those cases I make sure to wash my hands before going in the stall. Then I just clean the cup thoroughly in the hotel room 1-2x a day.

When I was having super-heavy periods (on Paragard) I'd have to empty it once every hour for a couple of days, which was really annoying, but I'd be soaking through a super tampon in even less time.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#75 of 79 Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 PM

Well, everyone, I did received my Ladycup and have been using for the last two cycles and I love it. I posted another thread about it.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1132041

Wanted to throw out another option for everyone!

#76 of 79 Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 AM

So nice! Super easy to put in.

I think, though, that I'll continue to use nothing for spotting/very light days. It was too disconcerting to find one tiny bit of blood in the cup after wearing it overnight and the cup isn't nearly as comfortable when things are dry.
#77 of 79 Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 PM

subbing!

This sounds like a good idea! I can't wait to try this once I get my cycle back. Diva or Moon Cup...

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#78 of 79 Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM

I got my Diva Cup a few weeks ago and am using it today for the 2nd full day.

I am already so in love with it...

I am a fluffy mama and I have problems with pads because sometimes if I started to get up and then sat back down (which apparently I do quite a lot and didn't realize it) bad things would happen with squishes.

I do have to say - the first couple of times taking it out, I really HIGHLY recommend doing it in the tub if possible. I don't think my cat will ever willingly come in the bathroom again. It looked like the movie Psycho in my bathroom.

Anyway... first removal difficulties aside, I have gotten more of the hang of it... I am having some leakage issues, but I think that I need to do kegels anyway because I have some urine leakage issues as well.

I have to say, the thing I love MOST is not having that oozing feeling when I stand up... god I hated that. I cannot STAND tampons, they feel so uncomforatble, so I was nervous the cup wouldn't work for me. But the Diva cup is not bothering me at all.
#79 of 79 Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMom View Post
I have to say, the thing I love MOST is not having that oozing feeling when I stand up... god I hated that. I cannot STAND tampons, they feel so uncomforatble, so I was nervous the cup wouldn't work for me. But the Diva cup is not bothering me at all.
Oh, indeed,yes. I know exactly what you mean about the oozing feeling. I hated that. I'm still loving my Ladycup, so hurrah for cups!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page