I can't believe I didn't try the Diva Cup earlier!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love this thing! I haven't had any leaks and it's kinda of cool that it has measurement markings on it.

I'm glad not to have to buy super plus tampons and heavy absorption pads!

I used to use Gladrags when my flow was lighter.

I'm not sure I'll wear the pin!

http://www.divacup.com/?gclid=COnUqK...FSKSkgodRhW0og

We're going on a 12-18 mos camping trip and I don't have room for sanitary products esp since my family numbers 6!
#2 of 79 Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 PM

I love my Diva cup - I haven't used it in 8 months , but I do love it!
#3 of 79 Old 12-29-2007, 11:09 PM

I just bought mine yesterday and LOVE IT! I didn't want to spend the money on it this fall when I first decided to get one but finally caved when it came down to either buy more tampons or buy a Divacup. I even had to empty it in a public bathroom today which was kind of ehhh because it took longer than a tampon change....but I survived!
#4 of 79 Old 01-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I even had to empty it in a public bathroom today which was kind of ehhh because it took longer than a tampon change....but I survived!
You will get faster at it with practice!
#5 of 79 Old 01-06-2008, 05:10 AM

i got one from a coo a few months ago, but still have no AF since E is bfing...i actually want it to come so i can try my diva cup
#6 of 79 Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 PM

I got one in preparation for the return of my cycle. I LOVE it.

I have very heavy periods. I was very concerned about using it because of this.

Well I have to empty it quite a bit more than others, but that is okay by me. It is AWESOME. I can't believe that this has been out there all this time and I've not been using it.
#7 of 79 Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 AM

a friend of mine uses the keeper..is this the same thing?? if not what is the difference/which one is better for you/etc..i'm excited to make a switch from pads!!!
#8 of 79 Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post
I love this thing! I haven't had any leaks and it's kinda of cool that it has measurement markings on it.
:

I love mine too. Just started using one a couple months ago.
:

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#9 of 79 Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 AM

So, I have used instead cups for a while and loved them. So, in an effort to be a little more earth friendly, I got a diva cup.

The one thing I don't understand is how you empty it in a public restroom and then reinsert without making a mess. I was thinking you had to rinse it every time (that could be why I am so confused)? Not sure how that would work...

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#10 of 79 Old 01-16-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post
So, I have used instead cups for a while and loved them. So, in an effort to be a little more earth friendly, I got a diva cup.

The one thing I don't understand is how you empty it in a public restroom and then reinsert without making a mess. I was thinking you had to rinse it every time (that could be why I am so confused)? Not sure how that would work...
You just empty it in the toilet and re-insert it or you can wipe it off with toilet paper (I'd worry it might stick - the toilet paper that is).

At home I wash it out each time after I empty it but when you're not at home you cannot always do that unless you can find a handicap stall that has a sink.

From the Dive Cup site:

What do I do in a public washroom?

Most women find that they do not have to remove The DivaCup™ very frequently, and that taking it out in a public washroom does not occur very often. However, for women with heavier flows or on the occasion you need to empty it in a public washroom, simply remove the cup, empty the contents and use a dry or damp tissue to clean the cup and reinsert. Make sure your hands are clean before going into the stall. Wash your DivaCup™ well with hot soapy water at the next convenient time.

"Subject: Very impressed!

This is my fifth cycle of using The DivaCup and I wanted to tell you how much I love it! I thought about it for almost a year before I decided to get it and now I'm sorry I waited so long. I was just worried it was going to be gross and inconvenient, especially at work. I was really pleased that I didn't even need to take it out at work very often. I can wear it all day and I just empty it when I get home.

A couple of times I did have to take it out at work and it was a breeze. I just wiped it out in the stall and cleaned it when I got home. I used to have to bring my whole purse filled with tampons and pads every couple hours. Now I can go all day and feel totally comfortable and clean. I have a really heavy flow so it's pretty amazing to me that I can get through the whole day without emptying the cup. The best part is that I don't have to send my husband to the store anymore at midnight when I run out! Thanks so much for this truly revolutionary product!!"
-Kara, New York, NY

I can't wear it all day because when I'm on day one and my flow is heavy I empty it every hour to every hour and a half. The rest of the time I can empty it 3-4 times a day. I still use a cloth pantyliner because sometimes I drip a drop!

Sincerely,
Debra
#11 of 79 Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaugustson View Post
a friend of mine uses the keeper..is this the same thing?? if not what is the difference/which one is better for you/etc..i'm excited to make a switch from pads!!!
It's made of silicone whereas The Keeper is made of latex: http://www.keeper.com/. They are all menstrual cups!
#12 of 79 Old 01-17-2008, 06:53 PM

I swear I love mine!! It's awesome! I have had it for almost a year & wonder why I didn't get one sooner. I don't have a heavy period anymore so I don't usually have to empty it more than twice a day.(morning & night.) I still get the weird looks from family(mainly mom & sis) cause they think it's weird but I love it!!

Miranda~SAHM to Rhiannon(10), Arielle(8), & Harrison(3).

Married to my best  friend & expecting baby #4 in June 2013!

homeschool.gif,lactivist.gif,selectivevax.gif,intactivist.gif,homebirth.jpg,pos.gif,familybed1.gif,cd.gif

#13 of 79 Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love mine! Well, I don't *love* menstruating but I prefer it to any other form of menstrual protection I've used in the past. Well, the only exception to that is the Keeper I had in college- which I liked equally well. The Keeper is gum rubber, not latex- so it's ok for some people (but not all) with latex allergies.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 79 Old 01-20-2008, 10:18 PM

I have the Keeper and I am still getting used to it. It's taking me a few months to get just the right fit and to figure out how often I need to change it. My flow is crazy heavy though. I have to change it far more than 2xs a day.
#15 of 79 Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Ruth can you say if there's any difference between the two different cups? I think I'd like to get one and I don't have any latex sensitivities.

Are they about the same price? I'm off to check the sites.

Thanks.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#16 of 79 Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post

I wrap mine in toilet paper then take it out and rinse it in the sink when no one's looking. Then go back and re insert. I rarely have to do that though. Also, if there's a sink in the stall with you (like for handicapped people) that's even better!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#17 of 79 Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 AM

ok, having this talk a lot sooner than expected or I wanted to! AF made her appearance 8.5 pp where as w/the other 2 kids I got it 12+ months PP. BOO HISS.

anyway, time to get the diva? sell it to me. what do you love and does anybody hate anything about it?

where's the fastest/cheapest place to order one from?
#18 of 79 Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 AM

I am wondering how it works with clotting...... I have big clots....TMI, I know but would I still be able to use it?
#19 of 79 Old 07-25-2008, 03:15 PM

I have to come here and rave about the Diva cup, because my husband is not interested.

I am on day 2, and I love it. I had been using tampons (never could deal with pads), and hated them - the feel, the smell, the waste, the cost -everything. There was one brand that felt the most tolerable, then they changed it, and I hated the change.

I have a latex allergy, so the fact that it is non-latex is great for me.

I feel cleaner, no string hanging down when I use the bathroom - ick - and it doesn't come out when I push for a bowel movement, like tampons did.

Slept with it last night, no problems.

I am a total convert. I will proselytize about this product. I may even wear the pin.
#20 of 79 Old 07-27-2008, 03:48 AM

I'm on my second cycle using it and I totally love it now. It took until now to really get the hang of it though, because it's a bit tricky with my tilted cervix, but I figured it out now. Compared to tampons, I'm less bloated and cramping less and I have less pressure in that area.
#21 of 79 Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM

im on day one with mine

i put mine in last night and all went fine, then it leaked bit so i took it out and cleaned it and reinserted it... i was fine for 2 hours and it leaked, so i took it out and cleaned it and reinserted it (it wasnt full)

question... i think this time i got it in right, but wanted to ask... it seems that i tried to keep it folded too long, this time I let it open JUST behind the vulva... and pushed it up by the tip... does this seem right?? it definately seemed to spin easier and i wonder if this creates a better suction??

sorry if TMI.. i have my pin on one of my backpacks!!!

Also.. funny story, I was telling my Bƒƒ about it and when i said Diva cup she goes.... oh those mugs at hallmark??? LOL. i was like... noooooooo
#22 of 79 Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 AM

ok, it leaked again, so i think i may have been inserting it too far? does this make sense? how easy is it supposed to be to spin.... i know its opening up all the way bc it kind of snaps open right behind the opening as im putting it in...

well i tried inserting it lower this time.... so the tip is even sticking out.. maybe my tip needs to be trimmed.....
#23 of 79 Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Keeper vs. Diva: I had a Keeper pre-pregnancy and got a Diva after. I used to have occasional leaks with the Keeper and have had none with the Diva, but that may be more about my personal details or changes from giving birth than a difference between the two brands. The main differences IMO are appearance, smell, and position of the tiny holes. Because the Diva is transparent, you can see when you get it clean, whereas the Keeper is dark brown and I often found myself squinting at it to look for dried flow in the crevices. The Keeper smells like rubber (like Converse sneakers!) whereas the Diva has no odor; I'm not saying that while you're using the Keeper the smell would be noticeable to people around you or anything, just that it's noticeable when you're handling it and it's kind of weird. The tiny holes, which are there to help break the suction when removing the cup, are in the very top rim of the Diva but underneath the lowest part of the rim of the Keeper. Part of the leakage I had with the Keeper was from very tiny amounts of flow getting through those holes once the cup filled that high. Overall, I prefer the Diva, but the Keeper is an excellent product too, way better than tampons or Instead!

Clots: First of all, compared to using tampons, you probably won't have as many clots because the cup's gentle suction helps to pull the flow out of the uterus, whereas a tampon blocks up the vagina and clots tend to form on top of it. If you do have clots, they'll just be in the cup; no problem.

Public restrooms: Just wipe and reinsert. I WOH and have to empty every 2-3 hours the first 2 days, but it's not a problem. I just wash the cup with soap and clear the little holes once a day at home. I've never had an infection or anything that would indicate the cup was not clean enough. In fact, I've had FEWER urinary tract infections than I used to when I used tampons; I don't know if there's a connection or it's just a coincidence.

: Happy cupping!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#24 of 79 Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sounds great - I have been considering getting one and I just read on their site that you also get it in Germany. What is the most convenient place to mail-order it from the U. S. (to China!!!)?

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#25 of 79 Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 AM

OP - it took me a couple of years before I finally caved; I love mine!

proudmom, I ordered from MooncupUK and had it delivered to China (Gansu) with no problems.

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#26 of 79 Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM

I can't reach my cervix. Would I have trouble breaking the suction to get it out?

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::
#27 of 79 Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 PM

it might take some practice, but you can break suction by pinching the bottom

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#28 of 79 Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyDanger View Post
I can't reach my cervix. Would I have trouble breaking the suction to get it out?
No, it sits very low - lower than a tampon.
#29 of 79 Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM

How long should a cup last? I read on one site that sells Diva cups that it should be replaced annually. I'm not sure that would ctuallt save me money or help the environment.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#30 of 79 Old 05-22-2009, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Diva cups so rock! Woo Hoo!
I've used one, the same one for 3 or 4 years w/o replacing, so replacing annually sounds silly to me, but maybe it depends on how it's cared for?
Here's a story for ya'll! I have to replace mine, cuz I killed it. Sometimes, even with regular soapy washings by the end of my period it has a funky smell so I'd boil it on the stove, but I walked away, got distracted and well it kinda ran out of water and didn't exactly melt, but some areas did get weakened and eventually cracked so out it went, but otherwise I wouldn't have had to replace it for who knows how long.

A note on public restrooms... some places have a family restroom (one toilet and sink w/a larger space to accommodate strollers, wheel chairs and several people) Look for those! They're great! A whole big bathroom all to yourself to do what ya need to do!

Angela&avery-it's not possible to insert it too far UNLESS you've got it up so high and/or to one side so that your cervix is outside the cup or only partially aligned w/it. And definitely make sure it spins easily and is open all the way. There's a learning curve for sure. Stick w/it! It often takes a cycle or 2 before you get the hang of it.

Keep on Diva Cuppin everybody!
Cheers,
Chelsie

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page