Water based moisturizer recommendation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-18-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have *severely* dry, eczematous, cracked, bleeding skin. It's awful. All year long, I usually moisturize with various oils when I get out of the shower (coconut, avocado, lots of stuff). It seems these days because my skin is even drier than normal, the oils aren't working. They work for a couple hours after my shower, but then when I feel my face cracking again I apply the oil and it seems that it's keeping the moisture *out* of my skin. I'm looking for something that can actually add moisture in, rather than just seal it in. I'm thinking I could apply this moisturizer, then apply the coconut oil over that.
I haven't used water based moisturizers in a while, since I've been using oils exclusively for a while now. Does anyone have any water based moisturizer recommendations?
TIA!
#2 of 11 Old 12-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Have you tried aquafor healing ointment? I have very sensitive skin and cannot use natural oils. They irritate my skin. Aquafor is petroleum-based but it is one of the few things that keeps excema and super dry skin at bay for me. I started using it when the ped recommended it for dd1's dry cheeks. She has sensitive skin, too. It works great.

Also, I use cetaphil bar soap for hand washing and cetaphil lotion on the parts of my body that I don't want greasy from the aquafor. Good stuff!
#3 of 11 Old 12-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Is Eucerin water based?
#4 of 11 Old 12-18-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

i have tried aquafor. actually i had been using aquafor for many years before i switched to coconut oil. my dermatologist had me on cetaphil/aquafor as well. i still use aquafor on DS, but it's not really working that great for me.
I believe Eucerin is water based, maybe i'll go out and get some.
#5 of 11 Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Straight oils will actually dry out your skin. When you add oil to your skin, it tricks the skin into thinking that there's enough oil, so it stops producing oil. That doesn't mean that you shouls start stripping your skin of oils so it'll produce more.

Try something with shea butter or beeswax. I used to use Burt's Bees almond hand cream, which worked really well. I use Eucerin myself sometimes, but I'm trying to avoid it because it does have petrolatum (and I think mineral oil) in it.

I also use Florasone, a homeopathic eczema cream. You need to use it about 5x a day, but it heals my cracked fingers nicely. I only need to use it at night time now to keep myself from itcing in the middle of the night. I found it at The Vitamin Shoppe and Rite Aid.
#6 of 11 Old 12-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You may want to take a look at what you're putting into your body, in addition to what you're putting on it.

Excema is often related to food allergies. You may want to investigate that angle- is there something you're eating that's making your skin crack and bleed? It can also be a result of nutritional deficiencies, particularly EFAs (essential fatty acids) and total fat intake. Often, nutritional deficiencies are related to allergies, as allergic reactions in the gut can interfere with nutrient absorption.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 11 Old 12-21-2007, 04:13 AM

I highly recommend pure, unrefined shea butter. Eucerin didn't do a thing for my dd.
#8 of 11 Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

does unrefined shea butter act like a barrier similar to oils, or does it actually add moisture to the skin?

TheWAHMMall, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the florasone recommendation! i had never heard of that stuff and it worked really well on some stubborn eczema patches on my legs. If it wasn't for your post I would have never tried it. Definitely something that I'm going to have around the house at all times.

Now I still just have to find something to add some moisture to my face
#9 of 11 Old 01-09-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfidget View Post
I have *severely* dry, eczematous, cracked, bleeding skin. It's awful. All year long, I usually moisturize with various oils when I get out of the shower (coconut, avocado, lots of stuff). It seems these days because my skin is even drier than normal, the oils aren't working. They work for a couple hours after my shower, but then when I feel my face cracking again I apply the oil and it seems that it's keeping the moisture *out* of my skin. I'm looking for something that can actually add moisture in, rather than just seal it in. I'm thinking I could apply this moisturizer, then apply the coconut oil over that.
I haven't used water based moisturizers in a while, since I've been using oils exclusively for a while now. Does anyone have any water based moisturizer recommendations?
TIA!
Have you tried goldbond ultimate healing - its way more healing than anything I've tried for dried up hands- including lanolin

theres also an eczema holistic product I use for my dd, it doesnt moisturize a lot but it heals- on www.katuri.com

btw, oils dont moisturize for more than a few hours for anyone, I dont have dry skin but cannot use oils when winter sets in.
The longest oil that moisturized for me- was olive oil, applied when still wet, humectant, would trap the water and keep skin moist- but not in winter!

unrefined shea butter softens skin but I dont recall it moisturizing too long- but that was a while ago.

Why not try the aveeno baby products which says moisturize for 24 hrs..
#10 of 11 Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Shea butter is like any other fat/oil - it creates a moisture barrier to lock moisture in. I actually found shea butter to be way too heavy and greasy for my skin, but other people love it. Of course, you'll want to apply it immediately after washing your face while your skin is still a little damp. And drink plenty of water to hydrate from within.
#11 of 11 Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 AM

Try RoEzIt, water based and petroleum free.  My mam had to use water based because of using oxygen, and this is recommended.  Not a great smell but light and hydrating.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page