baby rash...please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2007, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
baby has a nasty rash and it is getting worse. it started on his low back, so i thought it must be the sposies i was using at night. so no more sposies. it spread to his thighs. i took him to the dr and he said it looked like an allergic reaction, and gave us benadryl (sp?). it spread to his tummy, neck and legs. now he has scaly patches. poor baby scratches his legs whenever they don't have clothes on them.
i feel like the worse mama ever. i am going back to dr tomorrow, but was wondering if any of you wise mamas had any ideas. this is what i've been mulling over:
*i use country save detergant and have since before he was born.
*could he be allergic to the coconut oil i've recently started using on my hair and face? or the honey i started using on my face?
*he hasn't started foods yet, just breast milk, is it something i'm eating? a deficiency?
*i use burt's baby bees wash and lotion on him with california babies sometimes, and have since he was born.
any thoughts? please? i feel terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Scaly patches that itch sound like excema. I have had it all my life, and it is indeed an allergic reaction -triggered by exposure to a substance my skin doesn't like, usually a detergent. Once I am exposed to a trigger it takes a long time to get the rash healed & other stuff that didn't bother me before can aggravate the exisiting patch.

It can't hurt to look for internal triggers as well, so I would agree it's worth checking your diet.

The first thing is to stop using the product, which you are doing - you might also switch to the mildest detergent you can get for the diapers & clothing. Charlie's soap is additive-free & works well for diapers.

I'd stop the baby wash & lotion as well for now... my babes have my sensitive skin so I just use warm water on them and if there's a big mess, bathe them with a tiny bit of handmade castile soap.

The other big thing that helps is to keep the area dry, hard to do when it's diaper area but after each change give him lots of nekkie time.

On acute breakouts, I use unrefined shea butter - it takes away the pain and redness & softens the scales so they aren't so itchy. I get it at agbangakarite.com, their stuff is very good quality & has always been effective for me.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:46 PM

I don't know if our regimen will work in your baby's particular case, but FWIW here's what has helped with my son's never-ending rash:

Moisten the soft flannel baby wipe with spray bottle containing 2/3 water and 1/3 witch hazel (anti-inflammatory) and clean diaper area.

Thoroughly dry the skin with plenty of corn starch.

Change diapers more frequently.

At bedtime, coat his bottom with liquid lanolin to form a moisture barrier overnight.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Charlie's soap can cause awful burn-like rashes... I would definitely NOT use it on sensitive skin. Here's a link..

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=158097

User Tag List