Baking soda in HE machines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you're supposed to use specific detergent for HE machines. Since struggling with odor issues, I began putting 1/2 cup of baking soda in my front-loading HE washing machine, along with Country Save. It's made a huge difference but now I wonder. Is this okay for the machine or going to cause a problem?

TIA!
#2 of 5 Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 PM

What is the odor problem? Do you clean your machine? Mine has to be cleaned monthly by running a load on hottest hot with an extra rinse and bleach. I just wash a huge load of white towels each month this way and the washer smells fine. I also take a small towel with a drop of bleach on it and run it around the gasket before I do this load, to kill anything growing in there. Really helps! Your machine doubtless has some instructions for cleaning it.

Using a non HE laundry detergent voids the warranty.

If it is diaper stink, post in the diaper forum for some ideas.
#3 of 5 Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

Hmmm.... Country Save is HE- says on the label. Washing machine is new so I hadn't cleaned it yet. I think the issue may be build up from previous machine or not using enough detergent. Either way, clothes smell better with baking soda added. Issue for HE machine?
#4 of 5 Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM

So the machine is new but your clothes smell? Are you sure they stink and it is not just how a natural detergent smells? It does not have so many additives to make clothes smell nice.

I use bacout for stinky clothes. I run a soak cycle with a bit of Biokleen bac out, then rinse, then wash the clothes. Works great on workout and other really stinky clothes.

I don't see how BS could hurt the machine. If it works, great. I add it to my dishwasher!
#5 of 5 Old 01-04-2008, 12:09 PM

I have been using baking soda in my HE front loader for years and haven't had any problems at all.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page