Tribe for Hairy Mamas in 2008 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1187 Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if it would be too weird to shave the legs and not the pits mamasgroovin. There was a lifeguard at the Y that hairy pits but not legs. She looked quite hot and had awesome tats! Good luck with fighting your "conforming demons" We love you no matter what you decide!
#62 of 1187 Old 01-30-2008, 04:50 PM

yeah,I think you just have to go with what feels right for ya. Every great once in awhile I'll shave my legs. My dp enjoys the change once every 6 months or so but never the pits.
#63 of 1187 Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 AM

dude! i SO wish someone in my family would offer me $$ to shave my armpits. i'd do it there on the spot and laugh my a$$ off as it grew back in.

mama, didn't know it was tea leaf green. just knew i likey. i've heard they're sposed to be good tho.
#64 of 1187 Old 01-31-2008, 02:00 AM

HEEHEE- thi is so great. I jad no idea there was a thread like this. So funny.

I never even think about it anymore, but I am unshaven since 98!

Kristin
#65 of 1187 Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM

mamasgroovin ~ I totally feel ya! I wondered the same thing - I don't want to be looked at as the only hairy lady around, ya know? It's definitely hard here in Florida (!) as it's always hot and people are very conservative. I am contemplating letting my hair grow again; as I transition into wanting to be a mother, I think about how beautiful and strong women's bodies are, hair and all.
Even as much as I love my body and its hair, I won't go so far as to say I think pit hair is sexy (sorry! It's just my opinion!). I don't hate it, but I would rather not see anyone's pit hair, male or female. I don't know why? Anyway, I'm just rambling on, but I am so glad there is a place here for us.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#66 of 1187 Old 02-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Hi, Y'all,

Long time, no hairy talk! Sorry to be away from my favorite thread (looking for the link I realized I started way back in 2005 here!). Anyway, I was away while my wife, Amazoniabelly, was pregnant and gave birth to a beautiful little boy named Isha Sparrow, now 1 month old. I will try to post a link to some pictures soon. After my DW's very traumatic first birth (I was quite traumatized as well), she had a wonderful, ecstatic, dream birth here in our home with a fantastic midwife. It was a very healing and wonderful experience for all of us. And now we have another little guy who can grow up with a hairy mama and a hairy mama-lovin' papa. Perhaps he will have a hairy big sister if she so chooses, but she will have to decide for herself. She already says that she wants to grow up so she can have hair on her vagina and armpits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahBearRI View Post
We have great husbands - don't we!

My only irritating part about being hairy, for me, is the wool sock problem. When I wear long socks (especially woolies) for an entire day, my leg hair hurts me. Which I always think is totally weird because how can hair hurt? Am I alone here? Anyu known solutions?
This may be one of the few things I am qualified to give advice on, since I have the same problem. Above my ankles is the worst, though I have some hair on the tops of my feet, too, which really hurts with socks. The best thing I have found is body brushing. A good dry body brush will really invigorate your skin and help the pain to go away. Always brush towards your heart. Of course, if you have to wear socks at night, use only the little footie kind that have no upper part. BTW, there are nerves that terminate in your hair follicles and these get pressed or stimulated when the hair is forced flat for so long by a sock.

tootpapa
#67 of 1187 Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Hello wanting to sub to this thread. I have shaved a little but actually dont mind the pits bieng hairy. I do shave the legs when i go to the doctor for the anual exam. hubby can actually deal with the pists bieng hairy but the legs he has a little problem with if i am going swimming or well ya know cause i will scratch him while it is growing out. anyway he doesnt mind me hairy except then when it is first frowing out. But i do go really hairy in the winter. hope to be able to join your thread thanks.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#68 of 1187 Old 02-21-2008, 01:31 PM

This is my kinda of tribe. I am 1 hairy Momma, was born that way, and will probably die that way. My mother says that people used to tease me when I was an infant, they'd call me Planet of the Apes. For a while I rejected my hairy legs, arms, and mustache. Oh, I remember the first time I shaved, I was 12 0r 13. Needless to say, my legs were burning and all scraped up. That was the first and last time I did that. At 13 or 14 I switched to hair dyes. I'd bleach my hairs to a nice red or blonde. I did this for about a year.

I'm a Muslim woman who covers, so before I married my DH I told him that I was very hairy and I refused to shave. Although I did try hair waxing the night before my wedding day in 2000. That was and very possibly is the last time that I will try hair removal.

I'm comfortable in my own skin

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#69 of 1187 Old 02-22-2008, 01:42 PM

expecting mom. haven't shaved in years? hubby doesn't mind at all and he keeps himself kinda hairy too.

i keep wondering if the midwife notices how hairy my legs are. it's blonde. but its definitely there.

ah well, at this point i don't even own a razor. just a pair of trimming scissors that i use around that time of the month to keep things fresh (sorry if thats too much)

best thing about hairy legs: the wind in the spring and summertime. it just doesn't feel the same without the tingle of tiny moving hairs.

only thing about shaved that i miss: the feel of a soft blanket or silky pajamas the day i've shaved.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#70 of 1187 Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Ok, it is totally crazy that I just found this thread at this moment. Totally crazy.

I'm a leg hair grower. I stopped shaving a few years ago after I graduated high school (legs and pits and down below), but started again when I went to college. Then, about six months ago, I stopped shaving my legs and "bikini area" (I really hate that term but I'm at work so don't want to call it what I normally call it ) again. Still shave the pits, unfortunately, because hubby hates my hairyness.

I have always HATED shaving. People don't seem to understand that, for me, it doesn't even have much to do with feminism. I just love my body hair--all of it. I love the way it feels, I love not having stubble or razor burn, I love not having to use extra water in the shower or bath just to shave. No shaving cream cans to throw away, no razors to pollute the earth. And that absolutely wonderous feel of the breeze rustling through my little leg hairs. It's absolutely magnificent.

Now, however, I'm considering just saying "screw it" and shaving everything again. The hairyness is actually causing problems in my marriage! Granted, it's probably just an excuse for underlying problems that the husband and I are facing, and we are going to marriage counseling soon...but really...is the hairyness worth the fighting? If you all were with husbands who hated your body hair, and actually said they weren't attracted to you anymore just because of the hair...what would you do? (No "leave the husband" please...that's much easier said than done, lol. I love my husband, he loves me, he's just very "traditional" when it comes to men and women, and it's hard to break him of that.)

I can live with shaving the pits...but I absolutely love my leg hair. I love it so much that I never want to shave it again. But I keep thinking...it's only hair...it will grow back again...maybe it's worth it to shave just to keep the marriage functioning.

I'm very sad about this.

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#71 of 1187 Old 02-22-2008, 02:49 PM

I'm am sorry you are struggling. I have had stuggles, too, but never with my spouse. THAT is different. If it meant saving my marriage? I'd shave, no questions. Clearly you have bigger issues to work on first. Yes, it will always grow back.

: Good luck.

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
#72 of 1187 Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM

I'm not a mama, but I'm hairy alright. I'm actually freaking out right now. I'm getting on stage for a dress rehearsal in a half hour.

In a tanktop.

And I don't shave.

I haven't shaved since August, and while it wasn't ever frequent before that, I haven't been in a tank top since then either.

yikes?
#73 of 1187 Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 PM

do it, ziggy!!!

if i wasnt so lazy and techno disinclined i'd snap you a pic of mine to keep you company, haha.

good luck!!
#74 of 1187 Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 PM

oh, and feminine earth, i'd say do it once and see how you feel. if it really seems like you've compromised yourself and can't tolerate it, dh will have to get past it. but who knows? it might end up seeming meaningless once you've done it and you can enjoy your "smooth" new sex life.
#75 of 1187 Old 02-23-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm hairy too, stopped shaving since DS was born almost three year ago. I have a way more healthy body image since becoming pg, far less issues about if I'm beautiful, skinny, well dressed. I think accepting my hairy body was really key to my healthy self-image, like if I can accept and see the beauty in the little hairs that grow between my breasts (which I used to pluck off religiously and be ashamed of), then I can accept my body as it was created to be without any alterations.

And yes I do own a bikini and have no problems strutting my hairy stuff

To the PP who's having troubles with her DH irt her hairiness -- that's tough. On the one hand shaving or not seems like not a big deal, but if hairy is how are most comfortable then your DH should just accept it. Like, you'd accept his beard/dreads/dying his hair....whatever if he loved it and felt best that way.
#76 of 1187 Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Hi Hairy Women (Hey tootpapa! It's good to "see" ya! Congrats on the little boy!)

Still here, still hairy!

feminine_earth - I'm sorry that you're having marriage issues. I know how hard they can be. Mine aren't in regards to my hair, dh (that's drunk husband...) is an alcoholic. I think it's awesome that you are going to go to marriage counseling. I hope you can work it out in a way that is pleasing to both of you.
#77 of 1187 Old 02-23-2008, 10:21 PM

Thank you for the support, Mamas!

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#78 of 1187 Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 AM

I noticed something kind of funny the other day...I was watching a movie and when the actress lifted up her arm I expected (unconsciencely) to see hair and when there wasn't any I was a little surprised! My hairy pits are the only ones I see since it's winter, but I thought it was funny that my brain has now equated hairy with normal, after 23 years of having smooth pits!

Just wanted to share!

Christian mama to one dear girl, and wife to a Jesus - loving husband smile.gif  

#79 of 1187 Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 AM

When I first read that, I thought you said...

Just wanted to shave!

: Clearly I need more .

#80 of 1187 Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feminine Earth- it sounds like you and your DH have underlying issues that need to be addressed. It may be worth compromising on the body hair just for now, while working on the other issues, with the idea to resume your normal hairiness in a few months (or a year or whatever) once the underlying issues have been dealt with.

The hair WILL grow back. Any marriage needs compromise on both ends- whether or not this is one of those compromises to make is up to you. If you do shave, make sure your DH understands that shaving is a big compromise for you, that you're doing *for him* and you may be less willing to compromise in other areas if you do this. Don't let him take your shaving for granted.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#81 of 1187 Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
If you do shave, make sure your DH understands that shaving is a big compromise for you, that you're doing *for him* and you may be less willing to compromise in other areas if you do this. Don't let him take your shaving for granted.
:

so wise, mama.
#82 of 1187 Old 02-25-2008, 12:44 PM

*chuckles* I think if my husband insisted I shave, I'd tell him to do it himself if he wanted it done. I think after a time or two of shaving my legs (I have a 36" inseam...) he'd decide it's a collossal waste of time too! And if not, it can be incredibly sexy to have someone else shave you...the soapy water and physical contact.
#83 of 1187 Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Jenni22-
i hear you on that...it's not been as long for me (maybe 8 years?), but if i'm watching a movie or see a "shaved" woman's armpits i'm always shocked back into reality that i am NOT the norm. even in foreign films a lot of the women are shaved.

sometimes i wonder what my husband thinks when he sees a shaved armpit? does it seem as alien to him? we've been together for 4 years and i know my leg hair is a little freaky to him (its gotten longer since ive been pregnant), but from relatively close up my legs don't look hairy. my armpits and my "cooter" i'm attached to. they look hairy and i don't care. both areas are too sensitive for shaving and weird chemically nonsense to be invited there.

it started as a feminist thing. and now its just a me thing.
which i think is the point of the "feminist" part of it in the first place.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#84 of 1187 Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM

This thread makes me so happy.

After a few weeks of not shaving my legs and underarms (mainly because of time/space constraints-- my kids are almost always in the shower with me, and shaving just isn't feasible), I decided to go with it and let it grow. It's probably been a month or so since my last shave, and I'm just marvelling at the way it looks on me. I mean, here I am, days away from my 29th birthday, and just now seeing how I look as I truly am!

I don't know if I'll stay unshaven forever, but it's nice for now... I'm going to stay with it as long as I'm comfortable doing so. This is my year for embracing myself in my entirety, and it seems like my furry legs, pits and groin are a good place to start!
#85 of 1187 Old 02-26-2008, 02:21 AM

Hey all! No time to read or post now, but I wanted to sub while I was thinking about it.
#86 of 1187 Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccalou79 View Post
This is my year for embracing myself in my entirety, and it seems like my furry legs, pits and groin are a good place to start!
Right on!

#87 of 1187 Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I still haven't made peace with the hairs on my chin. I feel like a hypocrite, but I really don't like them.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#88 of 1187 Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM

I am not friendly to them either. I pluck thoses babies. They are like pubes growing out of my chin. They cannot stay. And I also pluck my unibrow. But the pits and legs are safe.

AND!!!!!! Sunday it was almost 70 degrees here! So I put on my capris and Zurich's (Birk's) and took a walk around the lake with the kids. I felt it...the warm breeze blowing through my leg hair...yes, my friends, spring is just around the corner! I was so excited! THAT is a feeling I have missed. It was wonderful.

And oddly enough we didn't see another soul. There are maybe 30 - 50 ish houses in our neighborhood (I am horrible at guessing this type of thing) and plenty of those houses have kids living in them and NO ONE was outside playing except for us. It made me rather sad. I just don't get it.

#89 of 1187 Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 AM

it's a losing battle most days. why do they have to be so stiff and prickly?? i wouldn't care so much otherwise, but they're downright uncomfortable most of the time. the tiny ones on my chest don't bother me much anymore, but those chinny-chin-chin ones are infuriating. :
#90 of 1187 Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasgroovin View Post
♫ You know the sun's gonna shine in my back door some day; March wind is gonna blow all my troubles away

have i told you lately that i love you, mama??

your link was busted the other day and i almost cried. but this one's working FINE n DANDY!!!

warm, springtime

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page