Tribe for Hairy Mamas in 2008 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh! I haven't been here in oh so long...I've missed you, ladies!

Interesting talk of company sell-outs. The more I go along, the more I tend to use products that are made naturally and locally. This way I know what goes into my product and who makes it...I use a shampoo soap made by a dear friend...bar soap from my dp's 8th grade teacher...and a tooth powder that is made by a local herb company. Everything else, I try to make.

This is outdated news, but pertinent to the discussion. I am the type of person who never shaves, not for weddings...not for parties...not for the beach...but this winter I took a trip with my extended family and stayed in a motel. Upon our arrival, I sent dp to the desk for a disposable razor. I don't know what got into, but it suddenly seemed like the right idea... perhaps it was the bathtub...I haven't had a tub in 7 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM

Hi Erin!!! Long time no see. I was thinking about your music thread not too long ago. You should bump it up.

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM

You know, when you mentioned "Let it Grow," it immediately made me want to send you a link to a great musician who is local to me. He is a backwoods-livin', hair-supportin', father of three beautiful children and husband to one great hairy mama..I'll try to post a link. His music is fab! His name is Mike Waite

http://cdbaby.com/cd/michaelwaite

and his myspace page:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=262527490
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 AM

oh, I meant to say...
Check out the song "Spread the Love Around."
Old 03-19-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post
You know, when you mentioned "Let it Grow," it immediately made me want to send you a link to a great musician who is local to me. He is a backwoods-livin', hair-supportin', father of three beautiful children and husband to one great hairy mama..I'll try to post a link. His music is fab! His name is Mike Waite

http://cdbaby.com/cd/michaelwaite

and his myspace page:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=262527490
Sweet!! Thanks...I'll check it out.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM

Just wondering what do you all use to trim with. I was thinking about using a mustache trimmer. Just for the bikini area since we are going on a trip. We might get to one with an indoor pool and dont want to anyone with anything poking out. Thanks for any info.

5/365 days hairy only 360 days to go till i get to a year of hairiness. :

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 PM

I shave my bikini area. :

Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM

when I do trim, I just use a small pair of sewing scissors...I use a pair specifically for that purpose...
Old 03-21-2008, 07:05 PM

in the past i've used electric clippers, the kind for cutting head hair, with no attachment on. it works "okay" but not great. last summer i was considering waxing just the "poking out" parts (that's great, btw ) but i was too cheap and lazy. most of the summer i wore those "boyshort" type bottoms or a little swim skirt (they make non "old lady" versions now!) so it didn't matter. that's probably what i'll do again this year. besides, my pits are SO fluffy that i think it diverts from the few stragglies below. and, like another wise mama here mentioned, if some stranger's staring at your crotch THEY're the freak, not YOU!

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego
Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
most of the summer i wore those "boyshort" type bottoms or a little swim skirt (they make non "old lady" versions now!) so it didn't matter. that's probably what i'll do again this year. besides, my pits are SO fluffy that i think it diverts from the few stragglies below. and, like another wise mama here mentioned, if some stranger's staring at your crotch THEY're the freak, not YOU!
:
Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm obviously pretty messed up. I wear a "sexy" Victoria's Secret bikini. I don't shave my legs or pits, but I do shave my bikini line AND I wear the little matching skirt.

The more I think about this, the more I laugh at myself.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 PM

i just wear running shorts and a sports bra...... don't trim.....

still learning
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 AM

Looks like iwill be getting some boy shorts or a skirt. I will also try the scissors or the mustache trimmer for the summer. Thanks for all the ideas. i dont think i can wax that area. Thanks again!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 AM

i use an actual bikini trimmer. i take off the attatchment to get the closest clip. i flat out refuse to use a razor ever again!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here, just exploring everything and happy to have found this tribe! I felt pressured into shaving legs and underarms when I went to high school, as so many girls do... and sometime enjoyed the smooth legs, if I remember right (but not the numbness, cuts, rashes, etc.!) But I started down the road to raving feminism in college and struggled with the shaving issue. Fortunately I met several proud, hairy, wonderful female friends there, and their model was a great influence! I started small and on principle only, experimenting with not shaving my legs in the winter. I was still experimenting when I married my wonderful, supportive DH, and soon after marriage realized that I felt that not only was shaving my legs a waste of my time and water, my poor, naked legs looked ugly to me! So that was it, and I never looked back--almost!

When I visited my hometown again, and went swimming, I had to do a bit of hard thinking again! But I decided I was going to stay hairy, because who's going to be looking at my legs anyway? No one who matters! And if they do, maybe I can be a model like the women who were for me.

Somewhere along the line I stopped shaving my underarms too... I have absolutely no idea when, which is kind of interesting because I have no recollection of starting either, although I distinctly remember shaving my legs for the first time! And I've recently made the "no deodorant" step, too, thanks to a rash from Tom's of Maine (I thought it was 'natural'! Thanks for the heads up on this thread! Now what am I going to do about toothpaste?!), and wondering how it will go this summer.

Like so many of you have said, though, it's really the wind on my leg hair that I love! I cannot BELIEVE that I sacrificed so much sensation to what other people might have thought for so many years!!

So let's all remember that we are beautiful, not gross. I used to have those mixed up, and if I can figure it out, other people can too!

P.S. Has anyone else noticed the irony of the little advertisements at the bottom that are mostly about hair removal?

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Old 03-22-2008, 09:27 PM

i am having fun reading this thread. my question is this-what made you decide not to shave anymore? i think it's great that so many of you are doing what you feel is best for yourselves.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 PM

I decided to stop shaving my thighs on my honeymoon (12 years ago) when I saw a woman with very hairy thighs and I loved the way the hair looked. I'm not all about the "naturalness" though. For me, it's about what is beautiful (to me).

On the same note, I saw a playboy layout (totally not "natural" at all, right?!?) once where the lighting was done in such a way that the hair on her belly and torso absolutely glowed. You could see the patterns and spirals the hair made. I still think about that photo and how beautiful I thought that was.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 PM

I decided to stop shaving because it seemed so pointless and time consuming...plus, I always got terrible razor burn.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTA3 View Post
i am having fun reading this thread. my question is this-what made you decide not to shave anymore? i think it's great that so many of you are doing what you feel is best for yourselves.
shaving was always really low on my priority list. for me,
it was rarely important enough to justify the time. i went
from a couple of times a year to about once a year. then
that once a year came around and i couldn't find my razor,
so i just borrowed dh's clippers, and trimmed.
now i trim once a year if i get around to it...

there was never really a decision point. it wasn't like a new
year's resolution or anything. just sort of happened.

and i agree, boy shorts are perfect for not having to worry
about your bikini line, and they are in style too
Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 AM

I decided to quit when I was 20. I starting going to a lot of Dead shows and I loved how free and happy everyone was. I really got into the natural look. Funny, though, b/c my mom didn't shave when I was growing up and I thought of it as gross. I guess I just needed some enlightenment.

As a teen I never shaved my thighs...just my calves and pits. I guess I was a bit of rebel then and didn't even know it!

The 2nd time I quit shaving was just last fall. I had fallen off the wagon for about a year thinking I needed to try to conform to society, why I thought that I'll never understand. It didn't work, so I am back to being hairy, again. I've recently moved, so it's kind of interesting for me, like starting over. We'll see how it goes this summer, but I am feeling more confident that it will be wonderful.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Tom's of Maine deo gave me a horrible rash too. Nasty stuff!

I quit because I would always get a horrible razor burn and the hair growing in would itch like crazy. Also, I never shaved more than twice a week so I was very stubbley all the time. I quit shaving while I was on bedrest for my last baby. Started shaving again after she was born. I decided to quit shaving to see if my skin would be happier. Then I found this wonderful tribe and was inspired to throw the razor away for good. It's been two years and I LOVE my fur. :
Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
Tom's of Maine deo gave me a horrible rash too. Nasty stuff!
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just me who had the problem with the stuff. I had to switch deodorants and start putting lotion on my armpits to get it to heal up.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:43 PM

http://lafes.com/

this is pretty nice. normally i dont use anything, but i keep this roll-on handy in case im going dancing or something where there will be really close quarters. (not to jambands, tho. those folks can handle it. )

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego
Old 03-24-2008, 07:33 PM

I have quit shaving about four times know the first time was just to see how it felt and well as an experiment to see if my skin would be more mosturized with hair.
The second time is because I got alot of infected hair from shaving my pits but i wanted to still shave my legs. So i went hairy in the pit area.
The third time i was trying to get back on track cause I shaved for the marine corps ball.
Know I have been hairy under the arms for awhile but this is the first time ever i am going completly hairy including the bikini area. So far it has been seven full days of being hairy everywhere I am working on a year.

7/365 of hairiness go me!!
oh and hubby doesnt mind this time really this time he rubs my legs and doesnt cringe like he did in the past. I think it is cause he hates shaving for his job and secretly wishes he didnt have to buy razors either.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM

: for week one, hairy mama!! Keep it up!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just me who had the problem with the stuff. I had to switch deodorants and start putting lotion on my armpits to get it to heal up.
one of my older bugs had probs with toms.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:09 PM

I will say that it is soo easy here in missouri it is sooooo cold:::
all four of us have been shocked by the climate change here. We left NC were it was 75 degrees the day we left and came here and as we were coming into MO it was snowing and I forgot to bring my coat but maybe it will warm up keep your fingers crossed.:

Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 AM

I'm hairy out of self defense because of my psoriasis. Shaving over lesions really bites. I was actually sitting in church on Sunday laughing hysterically with another mom over how hairy our legs are!

I do tend to shave my pits though, I'm so pale and my hair is so DARK!
My Ban unscented roll-on works nicely with hair and without.

We will not even adress the hell that is shaving the bikini area!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 03-25-2008, 01:04 PM

yeah the bikine area is torture when thinking about it I want to cry.....
does anyone else think this is funny. My grandma will sit there and tell me she hasnt shaved in two days and say oh my, my legs are so hairy I think i can braid them. So I lift my pants up and my legs are much hairier and she looks at me with big eyes and says so when are you thinking about shaving i say i am not and she just looks at me with disgust and say I guess you can just say I am tired of shaving so know she thinks I am a freak but you know what she hasnt shaved yet either. I think secretly she is tired of it too and wants to stop too. heheh And everyone thinks i am the only freak in the house but were do you think i got some of it.Thanks Grandma heheh
8/365 days

Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM

It is quiet today!! just wanted to tell you i have finally felt what you all are talking about the wind in the leg hair for the first time today. wow you all re right it feels wonderful. I am thinking that when i get home I might trim my armpits in the summer since they grow kind of funny but I will think long and hard before i do. Do any of you trim the pits? anyway loving it I feel so much better about my hair then before. It helps when you have support. yeah hubby

so far 9/365

User Tag List