Homemade stovetop cleaner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-27-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I am DONE with all the chemicals and smells in my house. Next week I want to whip up a bunch of stuff for cleaning the house, specifically something tough enough for our stovetop and bathtubs. Any good "recipes"? I'd like something that I can keep in a spray bottle b/c I hate to admit I'm too lazy to mix it up everytime and I probably wouldn't clean as much as I should.

Thanks!

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
#2 of 12 Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 PM

Half vinegar and half water in a spray bottle. If you got some tough baked on junk on the stove top, you might need to spray the solution and let it soak for 10 minutes before cleaning. They work like magic. If you want, you can always add EO to "cover" the vinegar scent.

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#3 of 12 Old 01-27-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

My brain doesn't want to think, what is "EO"?

SAHM to DS (11/08) and EDD 3/8/11!
#4 of 12 Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 PM

EO = essential oils

I also use diluted vinegar in a spray bottle. For baked on or really greasy stuff, I sprinkle on a little baking soda and get it slightly damp with just regular water and let it sit a while. Then gently rub it off with a cloth or sponge. Use the vinegar and water spray after to get any remaining residue.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#5 of 12 Old 01-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisub View Post
My brain doesn't want to think, what is "EO"?

It's essential oil.

I second the vinegar. I almost exclusively clean with vinegar and baking soda. My everyday cleaning for kitchen counters, table, bathrooms, etc is equal parts white vinegar and distilled water. I also make a soft scrub type thing for the stovetop and sink which is some baking soda and enough Dr. Bronner's soap (or dishsoap) to make it thick like frosting. I scoop it onto a washclothe and scrub. It works great, but I know you said you don't want to make it everytime. It takes 30 seconds to mix up though and works so well.
#6 of 12 Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 PM

I have a shaker full of plain baking soda. Its one of those that you might find at a pizza restaurant.

Then a spray bottle of water and vinegar. For crusty things I shake on a little baking soda. Spray it down, wait, and wipe off. It works really well.

Otherwise we just have a spray bottle with a tiny bit of soap mixed with water. Cleans the counters quite well.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#7 of 12 Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisub View Post
Next week I want to whip up a bunch of stuff for cleaning the house, specifically something tough enough for our stovetop and bathtubs. Any good "recipes"?
It's not a spray, but I make a soft scrub and keep it in a little tupperware container. It works for tubs and stoves, and lasts 3-4 months, so you don't have to worry about mixing new stuff all the time.

1/2 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap/detergent
1 TBSP glycerine
Mix well.

That's it. Smells like whatever dish stuff you use You can also add any EOs you want.
Just dip the corner of a sponge or rag into the container and scoop out about about a teaspoon per use (tubs may take more). Very gentle and effective scrubbing. Rinses easily

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#8 of 12 Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 AM

Stovetop: we wet a washcloth (to almost-dripping) and lay it on the baked-on gunk. Go do something else for an hour or two. Come back, wipe it all up. That's it! Works every time.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#9 of 12 Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 PM

Baking soda works better than any Ajax or soft soap product that I've tried. I use it on my stove top every week and it gets off all the burnt on gunk.
#10 of 12 Old 02-10-2008, 04:30 PM

Baking soda does the trick every time! We don't dilute our vinegar and we add a few table spoons of rubbing alcohol to the mix to reduce streaking. I use this mix on everything; ceiling to floors.

Mama to Milo 8-06 and wife to Matt. 2nd grade teacher and wannabe urban homesteader! ::
#11 of 12 Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Baking soda works, and so does any laundry detergent with ensymes.(sp?) The ensymes will eat the baked on mess.

Worked on my "new to me" stove for free!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#12 of 12 Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM

Baking soda and vinegar, can't praise them enough. I use them for EVERYTHING, including on my oven and my hair. I firmly believe that all you need to clean your entire house and everything in it, inmcluding yourself, is vinegar, baking soda, and a few drops of soap.

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page