Which Shampoo/Conditioner should I try? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've experimented with a few different shampoos from Wild Oats, but I haven't found one I really like so far (didn't like J/A/S/O/N's shampoos at all!) I've discovered that I like some sudsing and my hair does good with 'cones! But I'd really like shampoo and conditioner that's made by a company that's cruelty-free. Right now I use Dove Moisturizing Shampoo and Therapy Treatment Conditioner (I like a heavy conditioner.)

It seems that Aubrey Organics is highly recommended here. Does it get sudsy? What would you recommend in the AO line?

What about Giovanni?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Most of the Aubrey shampoos i've tried do "suds", the honeysuckle rose shampoo and conditioner are AWESOME!! I LOVE the smell and the conditioner is VERY thick and moisturizing. Almost too much, and I have dry coarse hair! I cant stand the smell of the GPB shampoo (glycolegen protien balancing), so much so that were about to toss it, and I'm NOT a waster!! I really liked the green tea shampoo line, made my hair feel really clean. The island naturals line also smelled great, and I liked how it cleaned my hair.
HTH! Good luck!
#3 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM

I also love the honeysuckle rose. I think it is best if you have drier hair though. It doesn't suds like a typical drug store shampoo, but it does some.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#4 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMama View Post

What about Giovanni?
I LOVE Giovanni!I I got some for Christmas from SIL and LOVE it, its some kind of TTO shampoo and conditioner, I love the smell and the way it makes my hair feel! I looked it up on skin deep (an online database of the safety of boy care products) and it was even more natural than Aubrey. I will be switching over as much as I can to their line as I run out of Aubrey.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1
#5 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 02:49 PM

I love Natures Gate Chamomille and Desert Essence ~

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#6 of 22 Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM

I just got some Giovanni tea tree oil shampoo and I'm so in love with it! Part of my new years resolution was to replace all my toiletries with organic as I ran out and honestly, my hair has never felt cleaner or healthier. I didn't think it would make this much of a difference My condintioner is from Kiss My Face. It's really great too and has a really nice lime smell
#7 of 22 Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM

I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner, and it works great on my hair (which is not really thick, but is past my waist). I haven't had issues with tangling like in the past, and it's not as static-y as it usually is in the winter. The Frontier coops are great for buying. The Giovanni stuff goes on sale every month or two, and then they're $4-$5 cheaper than in my local hfs.
#8 of 22 Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 PM

I can't help you with conditioner, but I really like the Burt's Bees shampoo bar (I think it's rosemary/mint but it smells quite mild). Looks just like a bar of soap...but it's shampoo. And, it's only about $6.
#9 of 22 Old 02-02-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Would the Giovanni Triple Treat shampoo help with seborreic dermatitis? We use Neutrogena T-Gel for my son right now.

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#10 of 22 Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 PM

I have been using Giovanni 50/50 for about 2 years now and absolutely love it. It makes my hair soft and shiny!

Mara
#11 of 22 Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 PM

I love the nature's gate tto!
#12 of 22 Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm really liking Giovanni but I don't know if they have one that will suit your needs. Kind of expensive but if you can get it in a frontier coop its not to obad.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#13 of 22 Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 PM

I vote for a JR Liggett's shampoo bar followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse!
#14 of 22 Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 PM

I like Alba Botanica. They have a bunch of different "formulas" but I like the one for normal to oily, since I'm kinda oily.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#15 of 22 Old 02-08-2008, 01:22 AM

Burts Bees Raspberry Brazil nut, yum yum yum! The shampoo is sudsy but the conditioner...not so much.
#16 of 22 Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsMom View Post
I LOVE Giovanni!I I got some for Christmas from SIL and LOVE it, its some kind of TTO shampoo and conditioner, I love the smell and the way it makes my hair feel! I looked it up on skin deep (an online database of the safety of boy care products) and it was even more natural than Aubrey. I will be switching over as much as I can to their line as I run out of Aubrey.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1
How do you figure shampoos and conditioners that contain a bunch of chemicals are more natural than Aubrey Organics products that do not?

Giovanni, 50:50 Balanced, Hydrating-Calming ,Conditioner - Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Polysorbate 60, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexyglycerin, Phenoxyethanol,

Giovanni, Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo - C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate,

Giovanni, 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Clarifying Shampoo - C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate,

Giovanni, Magnetic Energizing Shampoo - C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinae

Giovanni, Smooth as Silk, Deep Moisture, Conditioner - Cetyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxymethglycinate,

I came to the conclusion a while ago that the database is worthless because it is so often very misleading. And companies that masquerade as all natural when they're not really annoy me.
#17 of 22 Old 02-14-2008, 11:33 PM

I love the Giovanni products, especially the Magnetic conditioner. It makes my thick/frizzy/dry hair incredibly soft and shiny. My husband uses the Triple Treat Shampoo and it works well for his oil-prone hair.

Note: I've tried quite a few Aubrey products and they were horrible for my type of hair. My frizz was even frizzier after using the shampoo and conditioner, and my hair seemed really dull and unmanageable.
#18 of 22 Old 02-16-2008, 12:55 PM

We love the Giovanni line here. I wanted something that was paraben free, but it was hard to find since we're also celiac and have to avoid wheat and gluten in our personal care. Giovanni meets both requirements, and it really works great!

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#19 of 22 Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 AM

I've been digging Whole Food's 365 minty shampoo & conditioner. And every few days I use Giovanni's intensive conditioning treatment stuff (I can't remember the name). I loved Burt's Bees, but I go through the conditioner soooo fast that I can't afford it! And I have shortish hair too!

I was so sure that I wouldn't like 365, but I do and it's really affordable.

Rachel, mommy to Ella (10/19/06) and Kaia (1/4/10), wife to Michael . Just another vegan, attachment parenting, homebirthing, UU & Buddhist, CLWing, bedsharing, vegetable gardening, Bay Area crunchy mom!
#20 of 22 Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM

I really like Shikai's Shampoo and Conditioner (Color Care line I think?). I got at at our Co-op for $7 a bottle.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#21 of 22 Old 02-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMama View Post
Would the Giovanni Triple Treat shampoo help with seborreic dermatitis? We use Neutrogena T-Gel for my son right now.
I LOVE Giovanni's Tripple Treat (shampoo and conditioner) for my psoriasis! After a few days, I didn't have any spots or issues in my hair. Their conditioner is great too.

I switch this off with Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree (shampoo and conditioner) - which I think I like better in the winter.
#22 of 22 Old 02-18-2008, 02:47 PM

I love Nature's Gate Rainwater Henna Shampoo and Conditioner. It smells nice but not too strongly, it makes my hair gleam and soft as silk!
And I have wavy to curly hair that is usually really dry, and puffs out all crazy with the Florida heat and humidity.

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page