Frontier favorites!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 164 Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tilia and sweetirishCT, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try next time we order...

I have some of the Simply Organic Chai Spice Scone mix in my pantry and haven't baked it up yet. Has anyone tried this? Curious how it will be. I am generally a bake-from-scratch person, but I occasionally use a mix. The only other organic mixes I have tried were Dr Oetker Choc cake - it was pretty awful, and their chocolate pudding - terrible. I threw it out and lamented the waste of the good organic milk I used to make it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 164 Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
Tilia and sweetirishCT, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try next time we order...

I have some of the Simply Organic Chai Spice Scone mix in my pantry and haven't baked it up yet. Has anyone tried this? Curious how it will be. I am generally a bake-from-scratch person, but I occasionally use a mix. The only other organic mixes I have tried were Dr Oetker Choc cake - it was pretty awful, and their chocolate pudding - terrible. I threw it out and lamented the waste of the good organic milk I used to make it.

I had the same experience with some organic boxed cookie mix that I made a while back. The sugar was WAY too granular. And, just generally, yuck...
I bought the carrot cake mix, but have yet to make it up b/c I just don't want to pull out the food processor to grate the carrots. I would love to try the scone mix, but don't want to add another to the cabinet that will just sit there... :
#63 of 164 Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 PM

has anyone tried any fish oil capsules that they got through Frontier? I am hoping to find some that don't leave me with a fishy taste all day long...
#64 of 164 Old 02-13-2008, 10:27 PM

can someone explain to me how the co-ops work? I don't get it, but I would really like to get in on one of the next Frontier Co=Ops.

Me:
#65 of 164 Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
can someone explain to me how the co-ops work? I don't get it, but I would really like to get in on one of the next Frontier Co=Ops.
basically, you find an open coop in the TP (or a local one in your area or another board online). You ask the leader to include you, then make an order list, and purchase products at wholesale (or the agreed upon discount from the distributor).
coops are a great way to get the stuff we need (or just want) for cheaper.
#66 of 164 Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 PM

I got their little wooden 3 pack scoops and didn't realize how small they'd be. I didn't see they have kiss my face foaming handsoap refills which I saw in the last sort and am way excited about ordering next time! I get laundry soap, dishwasher detergent, dish soap, disposable pads, foofy shampoo for me... I can't wait to try more.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#67 of 164 Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 PM

I made up a whole essential oil birth kit in prep for ds#2's arrival. Prices were great and I loved that I could get just about everything I was looking for, organic essential oils, carrier oils, great little diffusers. I used the little pocket diffuser and it was great--when I needed to switch scents I took out the old pad and had someone throw it out down the hall and just dropped a new one in. I was a high-risk VBAC so I birthed at hospital, but I had the best smelling room ever!
#68 of 164 Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Has anyone tried the Kiss My Face Sun Swat?? I just ordered soome from a current co-op and hoping I made the right choice. I'd like something the whole family can use that will fight the sun and the horrid mosquitoes we get here in the spring through fall. I'd love to know what others who have used this product think of it?

Also, I ordered the Yummy organic lollipops for "dry panty" treats for DD. Anyone have thoughts on these?

I'm so glad I found this thread!!!

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#69 of 164 Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM

The pops are soooo good! They have some spicy flavors coming out in March--can't wait.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#70 of 164 Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 PM

Nice!!! Thanks!

supervee - where in NC are you?? I was thinking about starting an NC based co-op group because I haven't been able to find any. Have you?

#71 of 164 Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRBH View Post
Nice!!! Thanks!

supervee - where in NC are you?? I was thinking about starting an NC based co-op group because I haven't been able to find any. Have you?
I'm in the Triangle. Where are you?

#72 of 164 Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 PM

I need a quick recommendation for good organic coffee available through Frontier. Any suggestions?
#73 of 164 Old 03-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for a sunscreen and makeup? Thanks!!!
#74 of 164 Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyshan View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a sunscreen and makeup? Thanks!!!
just to stay away from alba sunscreen because it really makes the eyes sting
I have not found a good one thru frontier, maybe someone else has...

and I haven't tried any makeup through there so I'll be interested to read suggestions on that.
#75 of 164 Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 AM

I love the Pure & Basic brand. it's paraben free and everything smells YUMMY! Their shampoos are great for the pp who asked.

I cant' stand their bulk ranch dressing mix. I actually can't even smell it - it makes me gag. IMO, it's not like Hidden Valley at all. Too bad.

I like Jessica Perry face lotion, the cream is too heavy, but the cucumber lotion is really great.

I also REALLY like Honeybee Gardens makeup (not their mascara though). I think their mineral makeup rivals even Sheer Miracle.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#76 of 164 Old 03-09-2008, 12:16 AM

I'll be getting my Kiss My Face Sun Swat sunscreen Monday or Tuesday... I'll update the thread with a review once we get to really try it out.

Also will be getting the Yummy organic lollipops... oh, and the bulk cheese powder which I've sampled and my vegetarian DD loved. I'm hoping it will help her learn to eat more veggies.

Has anyone tried the bulk soy nuts? Are they any better than the good earth ones they have int he stores?

#77 of 164 Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 AM

I have tried the Suncoat nailpolish, polish remover, mascara, and foundation in a squirt bottle.

I could not get the nailpolish to take off regular or Suncoat polish.

The mascara is great. The nail polish has good coverage and doesn't smell bad like most regular brands. The foundation has a weird, kind of chalky feeling to it at first, but it does have really good coverage.

Burt's Bees just came out with a age-reducing pomegranate day lotion that I adore. Their lip shimmers are my regular lipstick.

#78 of 164 Old 03-09-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRBH View Post
I'll be getting my Kiss My Face Sun Swat sunscreen Monday or Tuesday... I'll update the thread with a review once we get to really try it out.

Also will be getting the Yummy organic lollipops... oh, and the bulk cheese powder which I've sampled and my vegetarian DD loved. I'm hoping it will help her learn to eat more veggies.

Has anyone tried the bulk soy nuts? Are they any better than the good earth ones they have int he stores?
what's the bulk cheese powder like? Is it the stuff that's in boxed mac-n-cheese?
#79 of 164 Old 03-09-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervee View Post
I have tried the Suncoat nailpolish, polish remover, mascara, and foundation in a squirt bottle.

I could not get the nailpolish to take off regular or Suncoat polish.

The mascara is great. The nail polish has good coverage and doesn't smell bad like most regular brands. The foundation has a weird, kind of chalky feeling to it at first, but it does have really good coverage.

Burt's Bees just came out with a age-reducing pomegranate day lotion that I adore. Their lip shimmers are my regular lipstick.
i had the same problem with the polish remover, and i love the polish itself. and i am OK with using it on my almost 3yo little girl. and she *loves* to be 'made up'...
and i think i will be trying the burt's lotion
#80 of 164 Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 PM

Any recommendations for household cleaning products? I just got a housecleaner and she used a Mr Clean type product on all my wood floors! ACK! I need stuff that is either really multipurpose or else is very specifically labelled for what it's used for. I have a bit of a problem in that she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much of her language either, so I need it to be easy.
#81 of 164 Old 03-09-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
Any recommendations for household cleaning products? I just got a housecleaner and she used a Mr Clean type product on all my wood floors! ACK! I need stuff that is either really multipurpose or else is very specifically labelled for what it's used for. I have a bit of a problem in that she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much of her language either, so I need it to be easy.
ecover makes a great product for floors, and is safe for wood and smells great. you have to dilute it though, would that work out for you? Otherwise, I have used 7th gen in the bathroom, they are labelled pretty clearly. And I make my own kitchen spray. be more than happy to share the recipe if you like!
or you could have her just use borax in the bathroom with a brush, which is what i am doing now.
#82 of 164 Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetirishCT View Post
ecover makes a great product for floors, and is safe for wood and smells great. you have to dilute it though, would that work out for you? Otherwise, I have used 7th gen in the bathroom, they are labelled pretty clearly. And I make my own kitchen spray. be more than happy to share the recipe if you like!
or you could have her just use borax in the bathroom with a brush, which is what i am doing now.

Thanks for the suggestions and yes I'd love to see your kitchen spray recipe.
#83 of 164 Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need a recommendation for a good lotion. I don't mind scent. I am not really into shea butter or jojoba oil, though I have used them quite a bit over the last year. I have a ton of B&BW lotion that I would love to replace with something similiar but more environmentally friendly. Is there such a thing in the Frontier coop?

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#84 of 164 Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
I need a recommendation for a good lotion. I don't mind scent. I am not really into shea butter or jojoba oil, though I have used them quite a bit over the last year. I have a ton of B&BW lotion that I would love to replace with something similiar but more environmentally friendly. Is there such a thing in the Frontier coop?
I have come to like the Kiss My Face lotion, honey and calendula for extra dry skin. It has a nice light scent, and is very nice on my very dry, itchy winter skin.
Also, the Jason lotions are nice. Faves are the aloe and the lavender. the KMF stuff is very thin, so if you like something a bit creamier, the Jason is better. I use either, depending on my mood.
HTH
#85 of 164 Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 AM

Who's is better...Frontier or Simply Organic?
And which hand dish soap, dishwasher soap, and all purpose cleaner is the best?
#86 of 164 Old 03-14-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyshan View Post
Who's is better...Frontier or Simply Organic?
And which hand dish soap, dishwasher soap, and all purpose cleaner is the best?
I like earth friendly for hand dish soap, ecover tabs for the dishwasher. I make my own all purpose cleaner.... I will get that recipe up soon. I got it from a great book, will get that name for ya too as soon as I can post from home..
#87 of 164 Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM

Has anyone gotten any of the glass jars from Frontier? I'd like to get some for all the stuff I've been culturing - kefir, yogurts, kombucha, etc. - it's all in random mismatched jars right now... I see Frontier has some cheap glass jar - 32 oz 12 count for $13.50, etc - though they say it's for herbs, etc. Then they have other, thicker I guess glass jars with nicer lids, etc. (as an example, 1 of those in 32oz size is $7 each) Anyone has either of those?
Any reason I shouldn't get the cheaper ones for 'brews'? (they mostly sit of my counter, sometimes in the fridge - never the freezer)

maybe there's a better sources of these types of jars?

thanks!!!
#88 of 164 Old 03-14-2008, 03:36 PM

I'd love glass jar rec's too. Frontier or otherwise.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#89 of 164 Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 PM

I ordered a BUNCH of herbs and they sent me two dozen glass jars FREE! The lids are plastic, but the jars are a bit bigger than the wide mouth quart mason jars. I'm not sure if these jars are the ones you're talking about, but I thought I'd offer that info.

They seem pretty sturdy. Ran 'em through the dishwasher, and I take one with me as my water container these days.
#90 of 164 Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Anyone know the difference between Simply Organic and Frontier's spices???

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page