no-poo but now horrible dandruff. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK...I've been gradually going no-poo. I used bs with decreasing amounts of low silicate shampoo. I then started adding low silicate conditioner to my acv rinse. Slowly I've gotten to the point where I just use a diluted bs wash and a diluted acv rinse.

Only the last few weeks I've had horrible dandruff. I've never had it before.

I've been doing no-poo for a few months now.

What can I do?

It was so bad today that I actually broke down and used dandruff shampoo and conditioner in my acv rinse again.

I also mix a few drops of rosemary eo in my acv rinse normally, and rub jojoba oil on my ends when I'm done.

Also....with the jojoba oil? It says you can use it as a scalp massage to prevent dandruff....but it would make my scalp to oily. Is there something I'm missing?

Me:
#2 of 11 Old 02-02-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

bump. Anyone?

Me:
#3 of 11 Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Still bumping. What can I use to get rid of dandruff. Help please!!!! I look nasty and am about to give no poo up.

Me:
#4 of 11 Old 02-03-2008, 05:28 PM

just a few jumbled thoughts on the subject....

are you sure it's dandruff? it could be that you're not rinsing the BS out of your hair and it's drying and leaving flakes. it could be that it's the build-up from years of using hair product getting removed from your hair.

my hair went through a really nasty phase when i went no 'poo while the build up was being removed and while my hair learned how to balance itself again (oil and pH).

might also be that BS is too drying for your hair. i started with BS, but i only rarely use it anymore - it totally sucks the moisture right out of my hair, and i imagine if i used it a lot it'd probably dry my scalp out too.

also, i'm not sure you're doing yourself any favors by doing it gradually. it makes it harder to tell what's going on, and might also prolong the period of transition for your hair.
#5 of 11 Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
just a few jumbled thoughts on the subject....

are you sure it's dandruff? it could be that you're not rinsing the BS out of your hair and it's drying and leaving flakes. it could be that it's the build-up from years of using hair product getting removed from your hair.

my hair went through a really nasty phase when i went no 'poo while the build up was being removed and while my hair learned how to balance itself again (oil and pH).

might also be that BS is too drying for your hair. i started with BS, but i only rarely use it anymore - it totally sucks the moisture right out of my hair, and i imagine if i used it a lot it'd probably dry my scalp out too.

also, i'm not sure you're doing yourself any favors by doing it gradually. it makes it harder to tell what's going on, and might also prolong the period of transition for your hair.

I hadn't thought of it being the BS. My scalp isn't itching, so maybe it isn't dandruff and is just BS. I'll try washing tonight without BS and see what happens. I'm afraid my hair will be greasy, but we'll see. Thanks!

Me:
#6 of 11 Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 AM

i remember reading something about honey on the scalp for dandruff, if that what it really is, but i agree and think its BS. but try the honey anyway, it rocks.
#7 of 11 Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 PM

This happened to me, too, when I gave up shampoo. I don't think it is dandruff, just build-up of skin on your scalp that needs to be removed. I use a cheap conditioner (without the 'cones in it) and baking soda - mix the 2 togehter in my palm and "wash" my hair with it. The soda scrubs the scalp and the conditioner helps to get it to the scalp, if that makes sense.

Rinse with ACV and water mixture.

I do this about once a week or a little less often.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#8 of 11 Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM

I second the idea for trying honey - its so moisturizing! And I saw several people mention it on the sticky. I just started this no-poo thing. I'm not sure actually what I'm going to do or how far I'm going to take it. I have washed twice this week with my sons Aubrey Organic baby shampoo - then acv rinse - then a nice rub of honey on my scalp - then a final water rinse. My hair seems fine. I was trying to do the whole gradual thing too - at least clean up my hair from the silicones and stuff....maybe I should just jump in and go BS....I can't commit....
#9 of 11 Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 PM

Do you use straight BS to wash, or do you dilute it? Someone here posted a while back that alkaline shampoos can cause dandruff.

I had minor dandruff problem when I was using straight BS. So what I do now is put about a tablespoon each of BS and white vinegar, let it fizz, add a touch (1/4 tsp or so) of natural conditioner, and add enough water to almost fill my 8oz cup. I slowly pour it over my head and massage scalp with my finger pads.

The conditioner somehow acts like a booster and cleans my hair really well. The vinegar is to cut down on the alkalinity.

I rinse really good and condition with my natural conditioner.
#10 of 11 Old 02-05-2008, 02:46 PM

I get flakes of dry skin on my scalp from time to time. I find it helps a lot to brush my hair and scalp with a natural bristle brush before I wash it. It sort of loosens any dry skin and exfoliates my scalp if that makes any sence. Than the dry skin washes out.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#11 of 11 Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

to answer a few questions.

I've been diluting the b/s with water. I have really thick hair and I find I need to use a little more baking soda that reccommended for it to get clean.

Today I added a little tea tree oil to my bs rinse. then I used lemon juice and some no-silicate conditioner as my rinse after that. I followed up with honey and rinsed it out.

We'll see how it goes. I could still see a little dandruff along my scalp line.

Spastica mentioned in an earlier thread that tea tree oil could be mixed in equal parts with water to cut dandruff. I'm not sure how that works? If I mixed tea tree oil in equal parts with enough water to massage into my head, I would be using a ton of tea tree oil. I don't have enough money for that!

Me:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page