Bee hive removal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-19-2001, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know how to get rid of a bee hive in our basement without using pesticides? We called exterminators but they were all afraid to get stung and would only use chemicals. Since I'm pg I really don't want those chemicals in the house.
#2 of 7 Old 11-19-2001, 01:30 PM

Maybe you could call a bee keeper? I know that they use smokers to make the bees sleepy and less aggressive when moving hives. You probably don't have honeybees though. Are they wasps?
#3 of 7 Old 11-19-2001, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

A beekeeper is a great idea, I will look into that. I don't think they are honeybees. They are not fat and round but rather thin. I honestly have no idea what they are.
#4 of 7 Old 11-19-2001, 11:53 PM
MCR

We had some in the tree by the garage and the pest control guy told us to wait till the sun starts to go down, the all get sleepy then spray it with a hose on the spray setting on the nozzle, we didn't try it as they dissapeared, he said water kills the bees. Don't hold me too it though as we didn't get to try it out. I might be pretty messy in the basement.
#5 of 7 Old 12-06-2001, 07:55 PM

If they are smallish and yellow, they may be yellowjackets. We had them all over our yard in small holes in the ground when I was growing up. They can sting more than once, and can be kinda nasty. If it gets cold enough in your basement at night (we're talking 30's or 40's- open the windows or door) that they are sluggish, they will be easier to deal with. Of course, that kind of cold may be hard to come by this Winter here in NJ.

Pam
#6 of 7 Old 12-19-2001, 12:48 AM

My father-in-law is a beekeeper, and if they are bees, any good beekeeper will come out and capture the queen and take away the hive, and even thank you for it! You can find a beekeeper through any local apiary society.

If they're wasps, unfortunately, all the suggestions I've ever heard end with, "...and run like h*ll!" Our neighbors had a nest in tehir garage this summer, and they kept getting into our house. One actually stung ds twice. Poor baby!

Good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 12-23-2001, 09:09 PM

I was told of a natural wasp remover. It is some kind of a receptacle which you put meat in. When the meat rots the wasps go and can't get out. Apparently this type of device is available at Home Depot-maybe HQ.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page