Diva cup users.... help!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ahhhh, the lovely af is here. I am trying all the advice.... and now I am sore! I am determined to go leak free. I am doing kegels as I think this may be part of the problem. I am still leaking though.... Maybe this will just take some time to do....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 03-04-2008, 10:55 PM

Okay, this time around I'm trying with my Keeper higher up around my cervex and other than one time when it overflowed, it hasn't leaked, but I'm also at home all week so I can go to the bathroom more often than if I'm working. So thank you so much for the advice I think this is the way to go for me. Kind of too bad I've cut off my stem! But I can still get it out so it's fine.
#33 of 47 Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 AM

i have been using a keeper/diva for 12 years now. after i had dd, i leaked. I continue to leak now regardless of all the tricks in the book. I actually had to buy a new diva after cutting the stem all the way off and widening the holes because it leaked more and made it's way so far up i had to grunt a little to get it out!
I use backup mamma cloth. I can't go without it no matter what tricks I try. On my heavy days it's because I fill the cup in 30min (yes absolutely abnormal) and for whatever reason the first day I just can't get the thing to seal. I have tried endlessly.
But to answer your question, I think it must be possible that childbirth changes something with the fit of a cup. 8 years of perfection with the darn thing and then comes the wee one, a bigger cup and the leaks never end.

I'm also open to more suggestions...

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#34 of 47 Old 03-08-2008, 02:16 AM

Um, it isn't normal to be able to bear down and make it slide halfway out, is it? Not high enough? Loose pelvic floor muscles?

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#35 of 47 Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Hi,

Another confused newbie here...

When you talk about getting the cup higher... how exactly do you do that? Do you mean vertically or horizontally? If the opening is surrounding your cervix, where else can it go? I too am having leaking problems, but also protrusion problems. Not only the stem, but the bottom of the cup are protruding! ... and it is uncomfortable and I can definitely feel it's there.
#36 of 47 Old 03-09-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
I had to cut my stem all the way off.
I dont dry my cup, i do the fold over and insert then sqeeze a little and bear down to get a good seal, i find that i do leak if i dont do a kind of wipe inside, its not leaking from inside the cup but what was outside :
Can I ask how you "wipe" inside as I think this might be part of my problem as well.

Thanks
#37 of 47 Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 AM

Does anyone have any tried and true methods to cleaning out the holes at the top of the Diva? I find that just washing it and turning it upside down in my hand, creating a seal and trying to push the water out through the holes isn't cutting it. I can get a few drops of water out of the holes, but I can still see that there is stuff in there. And to add insult to injury, sometimes the seal breaks at the rim against my hand and it sprays water everywhere, including me in the face sometimes...eww.

I have had more luck this month with not leaking. Not sure what I'm doing differently than I was 6 months ago, but so far so good. I'm just trying to repeat my process to make sure it seals and I can actually feel the suction now too.
#38 of 47 Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitker79 View Post
Does anyone have any tried and true methods to cleaning out the holes at the top of the Diva? I find that just washing it and turning it upside down in my hand, creating a seal and trying to push the water out through the holes isn't cutting it. I can get a few drops of water out of the holes, but I can still see that there is stuff in there. And to add insult to injury, sometimes the seal breaks at the rim against my hand and it sprays water everywhere, including me in the face sometimes...eww.
I roll the rim between my fingers to really squish it and that seems to usually stretch the holes enough to clean them out. If I can't get stuff out, I'll use a toothpick.

I also snipped the stem pretty much completely off to avoid being poked all the time. Much better. Because of that, I have to grip the bottom half of the cup to remove it. Not a problem.

I have found that sometimes, it doesn't fully open up which can cause leaks. I try to really check it now. I am used to some leaks the second day of AF because I bleed very heavily. However, as long as I can get to a bathroom every two hours I'm OK. I rarely use back up. The only time I've had much leaking is when I'm on a really heavy day and I try to do one too many errands or something and it gets too full. And I can feel it before it leaks usually so I have some warning. (It just feels like uncomfortable pressure, kind of.)

And as for kegals, I've been trying to remember to do them. I've only had one DC and she's almost five now, but last month I was really sick and I coughed so hard, my Diva cup kept getting coughed down and almost came out a couple times. Whoa! That was weird and uncomfortable. Glad to be feeling much better now.

Good luck, everyone!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#39 of 47 Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Has anyone had issues with yeast infections during AF times and using the Diva cup? I just started using it again after 6-8mo break and it seems that I'm having yeast type pain/itching.

I also just started using Dr. B's in my hand pump and using it straight to wash my cup. I'm wondering if it isn't the Dr. B's soap.

Anyone have similar issues/ways to make it better? I'm not going to use that soap anymore to see if it helps.

Thanks for any input.
#40 of 47 Old 04-08-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

I think I am doing better as far as leaks go... I am still leaking just not as bad. The only thing now is that when I don't leak, it is a comfort issue! I cut the stem completely off and I still feel something poking me in there. It also seems like correct position makes it hard for me to peeee! Anyone else still trying to get used to the diva?
#41 of 47 Old 04-13-2008, 11:21 PM

I'm so glad to find this thread! I just used my Diva for the first time last cycle. It took me trying once a day for about 3 days to get it. Of course I think I got it like the last normal day of my cycle so it was lighter flow anyways. I've been using it today for this cycle and I'm leaking like mad! I pull the cup out and there's hardly anything in it b/c it's leaking out of me. I just put it in again and it's sitting lower this time, so maybe it was too high the last few times? This low though doesn't feel good in my pelvic area though, I feel crampy kind of. I need to cut the stem though, I think that will help at least on the outside. I also have a high, tilted cervix, could that cause a problem? If all else fails, I'll go back to the Instead Cups I've been using. They're still disposable, but they're not tampons so I guess it's a little better. I've never had problems w/ those.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#42 of 47 Old 04-13-2008, 11:22 PM

I'm so glad to find this thread! I just used my Diva for the first time last cycle. It took me trying once a day for about 3 days to get it. Of course I think I got it like the last normal day of my cycle so it was lighter flow anyways. I've been using it today for this cycle and I'm leaking like mad! I pull the cup out and there's hardly anything in it b/c it's leaking out of me. I just put it in again and it's sitting lower this time, so maybe it was too high the last few times? This low though doesn't feel good in my pelvic area though, I feel crampy kind of. I need to cut the stem though, I think that will help at least on the outside. I also have a high, tilted cervix, could that cause a problem? If all else fails, I'll go back to the Instead Cups I've been using. They're still disposable, but they're not tampons so I guess it's a little better. I've never had problems w/ those.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#43 of 47 Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Has anyone had issues with yeast infections during AF times and using the Diva cup? I just started using it again after 6-8mo break and it seems that I'm having yeast type pain/itching.

I also just started using Dr. B's in my hand pump and using it straight to wash my cup. I'm wondering if it isn't the Dr. B's soap.

Anyone have similar issues/ways to make it better? I'm not going to use that soap anymore to see if it helps.

Thanks for any input.
I would be surprised if it was yeast vs the soap. Supposedly (and IME) the diva will help reduce yeast infections. I'd try washing it with a different soap (or even the Dr B's baby mild) and see if anything changes. If it's yeast, it won't go away with AF (or when you stop using the cup).

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#44 of 47 Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM

snitker79- I had the same thing with yeast. After each cycle I boil my cup and have not had any problems with yeast since.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#45 of 47 Old 04-19-2008, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Can I ask how you "wipe" inside as I think this might be part of my problem as well.

Thanks
here is what i do if i rinced with water then i shake the water off, a flick over the tub.
if i dont have water- dump contents in tolet then i use tolet paper or a cloth wipe to wipe out whatever didnt come out and wipe the outside of the diva cup.
i also take a cloth wipe and wipe just inside : me i find that i get a good seal but what comes out is what spilled when i was taking out the diva cup

Quote:
Does anyone have any tried and true methods to cleaning out the holes at the top of the Diva?
pinch it like you are inserting it and pinch the holes while under water or folding and running a nail over the hole.
#46 of 47 Old 04-20-2008, 12:05 AM

The irritation happened again last month, so I ended up using OTC one day treatment to help with it because I was leaving to go out of town (without child) and I had terrible lacerations/irritation. OTC took care of it.

I just saw the doc last week and she said everything looked good, but that it was probably the soap. I was using the unscented Dr.B too. I'm going to boil it before next AF and then strickly wash it with diluted tea tree oil douching cleanser. I'll keep my finger's crossed.
#47 of 47 Old 04-20-2008, 12:24 AM

my diva doesn't have holes in the top? did i get a knock off or something?

also, the base of my diva sits right at the opening of my vagina...should it be further up? i've been getting poked, even after cutting the stem, but i can't seem to position it properly. the term eludes me, but i had a lot of muscle damage and have that condition where the bladder slightly protrudes into the vagina...and 2.5 years of religious kegels have done very little. can this cause the issue of not being able to get it in far enough? (although it does seem to "hold" my bladder up. when wearing the dive i don't have incontinence issues anymore)

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.

User Tag List