Diva cup users.... help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 02-24-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using the diva cup (size 2) for one cycle so far.... I have no problem with insertion, or removal.... but leaking is another story. What am I doing wrong? I do the fold, insert, turns easily... feels comfy (now that I have slightly shortened the stem!) and still, leak, leak, leak!!!! Am I the only one who has this problem??? Any suggestions? This has to work for me. Cloth is not an option as I swim and spend time around water. Help!?!?!
#2 of 47 Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 PM

I like to pinch the base to make sure there is suction after insertion.

Are the holes clean? Some people find they have better luck by enlarging the holes, but I have no experience with this.

Could your cervix be outside of the cup? Are you inserting it almost horizontally or vertically?
#3 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

I aim for my lower spine. How would I know if my cervix is lined up with the cup? I would think that since I can turn it with ease then it would indicate that it is open and sealed, no???? Hmmm, I didn't do so well in anatomy I really want this to work as I have tried cloth and i can not handle feeling soaked (semi-heavy flow) and I am a crunchy gal. Could having 4 children vaginally make the cup leak? I am using a size 2 so I can't see that being a problem, right?
#4 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 AM

I might be the odd one out, but when my Diva is in right I can't turn it easily at all unless I pinch it to release the suction. I think it sounds like you haven't gotten a good seal yet. I have issues with relaxing those muscles enough for the diva to settle into place and get a good seal. I have to insert it and relax doing something else for a while and then recheck it.
#5 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
How would I know if my cervix is lined up with the cup?
Reach in with one finger and feel around. I do this every time I insert it and way too often, sure enough, there's my cervix outside of the cup. At that point I can just push the cup into the right position. It'll feel kind of like a donut, but the hole in the middle is closed up.
#6 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 02:36 AM

The only time my diva has leaked at all is when i've been super active for a few hours and it worked its way deep in there, IYKWIM... maybe you are placing yours too far? the far reaches of the vag have a tendency to balloon out, if you will, so you need to keep it low in order to avoid the deep end of your vagina ballooning out and breaking the seal your cup has.

make sense??
#7 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I have a tough time finding my cervix. I think it's about time I learned!!!! Like I said, I need this to work for me....and Mother Earth!!! If anyone has other suggestions, please feel free to leave one! Oh, can having 4 children affect the ability to use a Diva???? Again, Thanks!
#8 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 AM

no, haveing 4 kids shouldnt effect it at all... i meant, your cervix is still your cervix, and although its slightly enlarged at the os, if thats inside the cup then its there .. you know?
#9 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Reach in with one finger and feel around. I do this every time I insert it and way too often, sure enough, there's my cervix outside of the cup. At that point I can just push the cup into the right position. It'll feel kind of like a donut, but the hole in the middle is closed up.
That's what I do. It really hastens that "learning curve."

Your cervix will feel like a little nub.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#10 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM

If I don't get a good seal, mine will leak. To check the seal, first I twist it a few times. I make sure it's not too high. Then I put my finger on the stem and bear down as if I'm trying to push it out, but I use my finger to push it back in. Then I'm usually good to go. Your tweaks may end up being different that this one. Be patient and willing to experiment a little and you'll find what works for you.
#11 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had leakage problems the first month- I used disposable pads as backup (since I'd been using dispsoable bads exclusively before that) and figured I'd get cloth pads for backup in the future. But the following month, there wasn't any leakage, so no need for anything for backup, so I don't have any cloth pads.

My suggestion is just to keep playing around with it. Are you around water all day, every day, or can you play around with it when you're able to be dry and wear tampons when in your swimsuit, at least during the learning curve?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#12 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 04:36 PM

I used the Diva Cup for the first time this cycle. At first I seemed to be putting it up too far, but even when I tried to leave it lower it seemed to sneak up higher. I feel like I need longer arms/fingers to get this buggar in and out. Any tips?

I hope by next month I'll get a better feel for this (no pun intended)!!

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
#13 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM

The Diva tends to settle where it's right for your body. At least that's the hope To get it out, I sit down, try to relax (making sure your bottom jaw is loose can help), then bear down a few times.
#14 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM

Mine needs to be high. My cervix actually needs to sit inside the rim of the cup (as far as I can tell).

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#15 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM

I'm having problems with it leaking too. I insert it and can spin it a few times but it still leaks. Not like all of my flow is running straight out but it must be spilling around the edges or something. I can't imagine it being lower because the stem is pretty much even with the opening to my vagina. I'm hoping I can figure this out somehow... so far it's a mess.

I too leaked all over my swimwear today. :

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#16 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 PM

One thing I noticed is that if I don't dry the cup before reinserting it, it will leak. I once had to walk out of the University library with my briefcase banging against the back of my legs so as to hide the unsightly, very LARGE stain.... :
But, drying the cup well seemed to do the trick. HTHs!!
#17 of 47 Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyred01 View Post
I'm having problems with it leaking too. I insert it and can spin it a few times but it still leaks. Not like all of my flow is running straight out but it must be spilling around the edges or something. I can't imagine it being lower because the stem is pretty much even with the opening to my vagina. I'm hoping I can figure this out somehow... so far it's a mess.

I too leaked all over my swimwear today. :
I had to cut my stem all the way off so that it could sit low enough not to leak. The stem was super irritating, so I just hacked it off. It's all groovy since then.
#18 of 47 Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 AM

I too had leaking problems and had never resolved them. I gave it up a few months ago, but will try it again using some tips I have seen here. It's hard to be patient with the darned thing when it's still leaking, causing a mess and everything already during a "trying" time of the month.

:
#19 of 47 Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 AM

agreed - I cut off the damn stem and it helped

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#20 of 47 Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Wow- I swear I'd lose that thing of it wasn't for the stem!! Mine seems to go up, up and away!!

#21 of 47 Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM

I've used my Keeper for about 7 years now and have yet to have a non leaking period. I just sort of gave up and always wear cloth pads too. I've been trying to make it sit lower down but after reading some of the pp, maybe I should try it higher up around my cervex? AF should be coming in a few days so I'll try it then. I'd love to be able to go without pads.
#22 of 47 Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM

*TMI alert* I have no leak problems during most of AF, but the first day or 2 are just plain ridiculous. I think that my flow is too heavy on those days to get a good seal... I insert it properly, it spins easily, etc., but I wonder if there is excess fluid in there when I insert my Diva, so that as the fluid shifts around, the seal gets broken because it works fine at first and then all of a sudden it's a disaster area.

I'm not 100% sure that's what is happening, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case others have the same experience.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#23 of 47 Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM

I had a lot of problems with this in the first year or so with my cup, and then started talking with a lot of other diva users. One friend suggests putting it in BEFORE your period starts and this has worked well for her. I've found that twisting numerous times helps. Also, those little holes are so important for the suction to work, so at least every other day I clean them out with a small needle. Good luck!!
#24 of 47 Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read somewhere that if you have trouble with leakage after doing all the normal "troubleshooting" stuff, it could be that your pelvic floor needs toning... i.e. do lots and lots of kegels. *shrug*

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#25 of 47 Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I printed out the whole 2 pages of all the responses!!!! I am going to try every suggestion because I want the diva to work! I snipped off a bit of the stem last month (due to suggestions from MDC users!!!) and that took care of being poked! So, I am confident that something posted here will work.... It will be a few days till af is due. I'll post back with what has worked. I don't want to buy pads and pons again. Thanks for all the help!!! You all are awesome!!!!
#26 of 47 Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 AM

mine seemed less leaky after I did kegels for a while.
#27 of 47 Old 02-29-2008, 03:27 PM

: kegel, kegel, kegel!

I find that if I insert, then kegel a few times it opens and has good suction. If it's in too high, it leaks every time. Also, be sure it's fully open--sometimes mine won't open with just kegels (during the light flow days) and I do a little "high leg lift" dance and it opens well. : (kinda like this, just raise your legs!)

HTH

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#28 of 47 Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensmommy View Post
I do a little "high leg lift" dance and it opens well. : (kinda like this, just raise your legs!)

HTH
Thanks for the laugh, Mama!!

#29 of 47 Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had to cut my stem all the way off.
I dont dry my cup, i do the fold over and insert then sqeeze a little and bear down to get a good seal, i find that i do leak if i dont do a kind of wipe inside, its not leaking from inside the cup but what was outside :
#30 of 47 Old 03-01-2008, 08:24 PM

I've found mine only leaks if it doesn't open up all the way. And twirling it around isn't a sure-fire way to know if it's open, I have to poke my fingers up all around it to make sure that it's perfectly circular and not indented anywhere. Sometimes I have to just pull it out and try again, and I often find that if I run it under cold water before I insert it then it opens up easier.

As long as it's open all the way, I never have leaks. I don't even use a back-up pad most of the time.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page