can someone talk to me about no 'poo and honey? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm interested in the no 'pooing routine as well as the honey facewash, but I have some questions about it. I know that everyone's different, but I thought maybe someone here could give me some feedback before I dive right in..

for the no 'pooing, my hair is probably medium/fine and it gets greasy fast! Like I need to wash my hair every day. Will a baking soda scrub and ACV rinse be okay for me? Does anyone have any tips about it?

I also want to try the honey facewash, but I have acne. Am I better off just w/ cetaphil and benzoyl peroxide?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Not sure what no pooing is, but I make my own hair wash based on the recipes in Rosemary Gladstar's book (Family Herbal). It has fabulous recipes for all kinds of things - including hair wash, rinses, henna, facial steams, astringents etc. She gives charts with which herbs, oils etc. to use depending on your hair/skin type and preferences. I just bought all the stuff to make my own face cream! Everything I have tried has been awesome. Even my husband is using the hair wash!!

This book is well worth the purchase price - I often sit down and just thumb through and read interesting portions for fun, and of course, I use a lot of the medicinal recipes and guidelines.

Hope this helps. If you want the hair wash recipe I can type it in for you, just post here or PM me.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't have particularly oily hair/scalp, so I don't know if this will be relevant for you....

I used to shampoo and condition my hair daily, so when I went no 'poo, I used the BS and vinegar daily. After months of greasy scalp/dry ends, I realized that not only was I using it too often, I was using too much BS! (And I switched from white vinegar to ACV, but I'm not sure if that was part of the grease problem or not.)

This is what I do now (and it works for me):

I brush my hair at night and before I shower to distribute whatever oil is there.
I use about a half tsp of BS and enough water to make a paste and massage that into my scalp, starting where my hair parts. I do this on DRY hair, before my shower.

If my ends are dry, I apply some honey to my dry hair.

Then I get into the shower, "shampoo" the baking soda and honey out of my hair (I rub my scalp for awhile to make sure everything is dissolved and rinsed out), comb through (if it's not too tangly) and rinse with about 2 TBSP ACV mixed with 12 oz water (and a few drops of essential oil for fragrance). I don't always use all the ACV; sometimes a 12 oz bottle of the mixture will last two or three shampoos. If your hair is fine/greasy you may want to use only a quarter of the bottle at a time.

I also don't use ANY hair products after my shampoo. My hair is frizzy and curly so I use a little aloe vera gel to tame the frizzies but I don't use anything else. I tried to do this gradually and just started with the BS/ACV and then tried to use my normal hair products but that didn't help the grease factor.

HTH! Good luck!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
I also want to try the honey facewash, but I have acne. Am I better off just w/ cetaphil and benzoyl peroxide?

TIA!
I've got bad acne, too, but the honey has worked great for me. I wash with honey and scrub with my fingertips. When I get out of the shower, I put on shea butter. Yes, it feels a bit greasy at first (especially when you've got acne and grease is NOT what you want) but it works. They say shea butter is good for acne. So far, it's working great!

FWIW, I didn't trust the whole thing at first, so I did a test. I went for two weeks using honey and shea on one side, and my usual foaming face wash, beta-hydroxy acid, anti-acne moisturizer routine on the other. After two weeks, there was very little difference. Maybe four zits on the "before" side and three on the "honey" side. I figured even if there wasn't a miraculous difference, it was a heck of a lot cheaper and less time-consuming! So, I switched. My skin continued to improve, and now at 6 weeks, I have 2 zits total today. No, not perfect, but better, cheaper, and more natural. Give it a try! As they say on the commercial, "You have nothing to lose but your acne!"
Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
for the no 'pooing, my hair is probably medium/fine and it gets greasy fast! Like I need to wash my hair every day. Will a baking soda scrub and ACV rinse be okay for me? Does anyone have any tips about it?
In terms of your hair's oiliness, my approach is that I wash as often as I need to. I make my BS solution as mild as I can genuinely get away with. My hair is on the oily side too, and with no-pooing I can wash every two days instead of every day. It helps a lot if I give the BS time to truly dissolve--I suspect a lot of problems with no-pooing come from undissolved BS.

Quote:
Give the honey a try. As rgrindle said, you will probably find that it works about the same as other cleansers, possibly slightly better.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrindle View Post
I've got bad acne, too, but the honey has worked great for me. I wash with honey and scrub with my fingertips. When I get out of the shower, I put on shea butter. Yes, it feels a bit greasy at first (especially when you've got acne and grease is NOT what you want) but it works. They say shea butter is good for acne. So far, it's working great!
I totally agree with this. I had bad bad acne since I was 11 and only in the past four years has it settled down to a point where I get break outs only before AF and when I'm stressed. I started using honey two weeks ago and although I still have a few pimples, I have had less this month and my skin is so soft! My dbf even noticed how soft it is. I don't use shea butter, I use Aubrey's Organics oil balancing moisturizer but have found my skin less oily so may switch to a richer moisturizer.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 PM

I'm going to chime in on the honey face wash- LOVE it!!! I was using the Clean and Clear acne kit. It kind of worked but not really. My skin was sooooo dry and it just was not working as well as I had hoped.

Now I have been washing my face with honey for about 2 weeks and I love it. If I do get a pimple it goes away MUCH faster than before. I also use jojoba and rosehip seed oil for my moisturizer. Sounds really greasy but I tell you my super oily skin is no longer oily, yay!! I use TTO for a spot treatment- works much faster then the other stuff I have tried.

As for no 'pooing, I tried a while ago and liked it, then I burnt my hand so it's really hard to do it. I think with over washing your scalp is scrambling to create more oil to make up for what was lost. The baking soda and vinegar rinse may be what you need.

Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone! I read a lot of variations on the baking soda and ACV approach. How do I know what to start with and how to adjust?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
thanks everyone! I read a lot of variations on the baking soda and ACV approach. How do I know what to start with and how to adjust?
I can't tell you how to start I could just tell you what I do, like everyone else...

But how to adjust is easy. Too oily = too little BS and/or too much ACV. Too dry = too much BS and/or too little ACV.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Can't wait to try!

Any ideas on where to look for raw honey?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Can't wait to try!

Any ideas on where to look for raw honey?
Apparently most honey is raw, it's just not advertised that way. I got mine at the Bulk Barn.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I can't wait to try!

Where could I find shea butter?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 PM

:

User Tag List