Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you use these? Is there anything toxic about them? I find mine indispensable, but I can't figure out exactly what they are or whether there's anything unhealthy about them. There's no ingredients or components listed on the box or the website. I hope they are okay, because that and white vinegar seem to be the best cleaning products in my house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 PM

I am really not sure, but I *think* they are a kind of micro-sand paper that buffs marks off...not sure where I heard that.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 03-13-2008, 10:11 PM

I watched a CBC show, "Market Place" I think, about cancer and all the products that cause it and they found that Magic Erasers have formaldyhyde in them which can cause cancer. I have one that my mom gave me because she loves them but I only use it while wearing gloves on surfaces like walls that never come near food. But I think more research might be necessary. They may have changed what's in or not in them since the show which was about two years ago.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Magic Erasers are a type of melamine. If you look up melamine at Wikipedia, you can see for yourself. They definitely do contain formaldyhyde. While that's probably not the *best* thing, I feel comfortable using it occassionally.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm.... very helpful. I will look up melamine. They are so helpful, but maybe I will limit it to the bathtub and walls and keep it out of the kitchen as well.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:17 PM

I tried one and was amazed at how well they work- they really are magic, huh?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 PM

They are probably not the greatest healthwise, but for certain things, they are all that work (marks on paintwork, for example, and they are awesome on a filthy bath). They are my last resort, but I will use them.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 PM

You might want to try vigorous scrubbing with a microfiber cloth first, since the two things work in about the same way (but the magic eraser does work better).
Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 AM

They are very healpful but can cause nasty rub/chemical burns on the skin. I don't have them around for that reason.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyurina View Post
They are very healpful but can cause nasty rub/chemical burns on the skin. I don't have them around for that reason.
How does that happen? I've used them in the bathroom for years now and I haven't had any issue. Is it a rub burn because they are like sandpaper?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:02 AM

Makes my beige grout look brand new. Its the only thing that works.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:22 AM

ireally like mine for the nastiest jobs but i don't keep them on hand. i only use them for the kind of job that i go out and buy things for. not every day cleaning but like moving cleaning or an area that has been seriously neglected.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:54 PM

It was time for me to clean my grout w the magic eraser again today(do once or twice a year). Its really amazing how it cleans. I just washed my floor w my new steam mop which I bought today. I know the steam mop worked better than doing my floor by hand but I went over some spots w the magic eraser and found more dirt. One day I would like to take the time to do every tile on my floor. After I did the steam mop I got some cleaner and paper towel to see how good this tool(steam mop) worked and there was no dirt-nothing. Then I go over w magic eraser and there it is.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 AM

My DH calls them "chemical voodoo"! I have also read about the formaldehyde, etc....I don't use them often, but I'll tell you what, when a 3-year-old decorates a whole wall with multi-colored crayon, there's nothing like the Magic eraser to make you calm down and realize it's not as bad as it seems. It really does work! I always wear gloves, never let my DC near it, and don't use it in the kitchen or around food. I only use it when nothing else will do.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
Old 03-22-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
How does that happen? I've used them in the bathroom for years now and I haven't had any issue. Is it a rub burn because they are like sandpaper?
yeah a little-if you rub your skin with them it can cause a burn. Of course adults won't do that but kids will. I think they can be convenient but I just don't find them necessary.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:17 AM

I received an e-mail warning of this product. It left really bad chemical burns on a kiddo that was helping mama clean house. Had to go to the ER bad.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinred View Post
I watched a CBC show, "Market Place" I think, about cancer and all the products that cause it and they found that Magic Erasers have formaldyhyde in them which can cause cancer. I have one that my mom gave me because she loves them but I only use it while wearing gloves on surfaces like walls that never come near food. But I think more research might be necessary. They may have changed what's in or not in them since the show which was about two years ago.
and this

Quote:
received an e-mail warning of this product. It left really bad chemical burns on a kiddo that was helping mama clean house. Had to go to the ER bad.
are urban legends that have been going around for the past few years. You can even read about the legend on Snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 AM

Um, try googling "magic eraser burns" and see how you feel then!
Certainly not something I think constitutes as "Natural Home and Body Care".
ETA: Anything that claims it is "magic" certainly freaks my earth loving heart right out.
Hmmm, aside from Dr. Bronners Magic Soap!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 AM

I've never had any intention of trying them, and then this pretty much sealed the deal for me.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
It was time for me to clean my grout w the magic eraser again today(do once or twice a year). Its really amazing how it cleans. I just washed my floor w my new steam mop which I bought today. I know the steam mop worked better than doing my floor by hand but I went over some spots w the magic eraser and found more dirt. One day I would like to take the time to do every tile on my floor. After I did the steam mop I got some cleaner and paper towel to see how good this tool(steam mop) worked and there was no dirt-nothing. Then I go over w magic eraser and there it is.

That is my system as well. I am so jealous I really want a steam mop!!

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 AM

I wear gloves and only use mine when I need it...like yesterday, we are moving in a few days and that was the only thing that would get the variety of crayon marks in my house so quickly!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:59 AM

Ugh! I love those stinkin magic erasers! WHY OH WHY do they have to be so bad
I swear they are the only thing that get's the burned on gunk off my glass stove top! Now I'm off to find a new remedy (hmmm, maybe not burn gunk onto the stove to begin with?)

User Tag List