Dread~head mid-2008 - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 529 Old 10-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I made a fleece headscarf! I wish my hair looked more like I had dreads, though. It just looks.. messy. I still have not washed. I was thinking of swimming some laps tomorrow in the gym pool, and then showering after that. Someone mentioned that chlorine really helped knot up their hair..?
#512 of 529 Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 PM

Okay I need solutions. The no-poo routine definitely took care of the soapy feel I was dealing with, but now I'm dealing with excessive oil production from early pregnancy hormones. My scalp is SO oily! Is my only option to wash more (I'm washing once a week now) or switching back to Dr B's bar soap (I had trouble with liquid not bar).

Any suggestions? I feel like a grease ball (face, neck and chest too). :
#513 of 529 Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
Okay I need solutions. The no-poo routine definitely took care of the soapy feel I was dealing with, but now I'm dealing with excessive oil production from early pregnancy hormones. My scalp is SO oily! Is my only option to wash more (I'm washing once a week now) or switching back to Dr B's bar soap (I had trouble with liquid not bar).

What about a gentle shampoo like, say, California baby's sensitive body/hair wash? I am alternating with that and Dr B's bc Dr B's is causing some buildup...I wash once a week...My hair feels tighter on the weeks with Dr B's, and cleaner longer the weeks with Cali baby...but the Cali baby is def. not harming them. I was getting pretty good (clean, hair dreading together well) results from a regular (no conditioner) herbal essences shampoo I had around, but I was just using it up so I didn't investigate if it was the 'best' thing to be using. Hmm. Just the thoughts off the top of my head.
#514 of 529 Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Today I made a fleece headscarf! I wish my hair looked more like I had dreads, though. It just looks.. messy. I still have not washed. I was thinking of swimming some laps tomorrow in the gym pool, and then showering after that. Someone mentioned that chlorine really helped knot up their hair..?
Ooh, picture??
#515 of 529 Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Okay, I'm going to be all nice and share pics. I am still not feeling great about how they look, with the mix of dreads/braids/curls/mats, but here goes::

from the front::

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ofDSC01174.jpg

from the back (that stuff I am holding is the three huge mats I mentioned earlier in the thread...Really they were two at the root, so I ripped them into three at the root. Have yet to tidy them beyond that. Looking fwd to tidying up the rest of the guys & posting pics again soon when *everything* is in its own dreadie at least...)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ofDSC01166.jpg
#516 of 529 Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

lookin good bluecactus!

Quote:

how long have you been no-poo-ing? it can take up to 6 weeks for your hair's oil production to settle down...

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#517 of 529 Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Nemesis...I swam a while back. The chlorine smell stuck in my hair something terrible. Def wash it well immediately after you swim. Need to see pic of your headscarf! I'm currently knitting one from some novelty yarn. My dreads aren't big enough to wear a full head wrap yet. They are plumping up though.

OrganicSister..I say wash more often with no poo. California baby or dr b would be fine too though if you want to rotate. CB leaves my hair a little too conditioned so I think using it full time wouldn't be good.

Blucactus..I think your dreads look great. Palm rolling helps....which reminds me that I should do some maintenance on my own hair lol.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#518 of 529 Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Blucactus, wow! I think your hair looks great! I'll be looking forward to pics when you're done "tidying".

The fleece headscarf:

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/IMG_8606.jpg
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/IMG_8609.jpg

My hair at 1 week... looking less dready than it did!
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/IMG_8613.jpg
#519 of 529 Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:

My suggestion is to wash if your hair and skin is oily. It might calm down some after a while as majikfaerie said, but after 11 months I still wash a bit more than I did when no-pooing with combed hair. If your hair and skin are oily then your pores can clog and your hair will be too oily to knot. I tried to go longer without washing at first, but I got a couple of pimple on my scalp. It can help your dreads tighten to wash them more.

I wash my scalp with baking soda 2-3 times per week. It does loosen the hair that isn't very knotty, but it tightens the sections that are dreading. It's a (sometimes long) process to cultivate dreadlocks. Mine still have a long way to go.
#520 of 529 Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 PM

Okay, I decided to go for it! I quit brushing my hair a week and a half ago, and have done some back combing and palm rolling. I had about 2/3 of it in loose dreads, and then washed it, and a bunch of it came loose. Now it's really fuzzy, and the back and undersides are matted something awful, but it is hard to find the time to maintain. should I tie the locks off at the scalp? Please enourage me to stick with it!
#521 of 529 Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
Okay, I decided to go for it! I quit brushing my hair a week and a half ago, and have done some back combing and palm rolling. I had about 2/3 of it in loose dreads, and then washed it, and a bunch of it came loose. Now it's really fuzzy, and the back and undersides are matted something awful, but it is hard to find the time to maintain. should I tie the locks off at the scalp? Please enourage me to stick with it!
Tieing off at the scalp can help at least keep them in sections if you don't have time to do a lot of twisting/ripping. I'm actually about to tie mine soon (and my dreads are over a year old) because they're growing so quickly due to pregnancy that the roots aren't having time to dread. It's definitely a journey, and one worth sticking with.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#522 of 529 Old 10-08-2008, 11:05 AM

When I tied my DDs roots, it really helped to keep her dreads separated. I could, at least, tell if I was separating them correctly! Hers tended to mat up next to her scalp a lot. Now, it's a lot easier and I've taken most of the strings out.
#523 of 529 Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

here's a pic from yesterday. me and dd from the back, and my sis
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/...66776a88ba.jpg

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#524 of 529 Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh! I love it! that big fatty one is my fav.

Also, I've been on the soap nut thread, has anyone used them?

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#525 of 529 Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM

I love soap nuts. I'll look for the thread.

Nice pic majikfaerie. The scenery is wonderful.

I have been asking DH to do some maintenance/backcombing on the back of my head for weeks now I think. Seems we never have the time to sit and do it. I have lots of hair back there that isn't dreading up on its own.

Have I mentioned how much I adore my hair now?

#526 of 529 Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
I love soap nuts. I'll look for the thread.

Nice pic majikfaerie. The scenery is wonderful.

I have been asking DH to do some maintenance/backcombing on the back of my head for weeks now I think. Seems we never have the time to sit and do it. I have lots of hair back there that isn't dreading up on its own.

Have I mentioned how much I adore my hair now?
Haha it always takes FOREVER for DH to work on mine. I've been asking him to tie the roots for over a week now. It doesn't help that we're moving on Saturday, so really he hasn't had the time. But my pregnancy dreads are just growing SOOO fast that the roots really need to be tied. Bah.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#527 of 529 Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 PM

Hi I just found this thread. I've had dreads for 8 months now and I love them most of the time. I do wax mine occasionally with bees wax (or i make my husband do it) and wash them just with shampoo every month or so. Have been having a bit of trouble with dandruff recently so will have to try rinsing with apple cider vinegar after i wash them.
Nice to find you guys and see all the photos
#528 of 529 Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 AM

Welcome Betnybaby! I see someone started a new dread thread
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=980239

#529 of 529 Old 12-11-2008, 04:17 AM

I found the it.... the best ever thing when washing my dreads!!. I used to have wet head for almost 2 days each time I washed them. Then after a washing I thought I smelt some mildew. YUCK!! I thought how bout next time you wash them you soak them in some white distilled vinegar and rinse with it too. So that's what I did the next time and it was glorious!! They actually felt clean and dried in half a day!! I also didn't get the itchy wash me scalp for 3 weeks!! Prior to my discovery I had to wash about once a week.

So I'm sure it's a known thing but wanted to write about it in case someone didn't know. I see someone mentioned apple cider vinegar.... what would be the difference?

I haven't tightened separated waxed taken care of fly aways since June I think. One of these nights instead of being on the computer I need to just get it done!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page