Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how did the henna go mamabear?
#62 of 529 Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 AM

Henna was fun! Thanks for asking. I indigo after the henna, and this time didn't leave it on too long, so I'm enjoying the color.

I'll try to get pics up today...
#63 of 529 Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM

It's been quiet around here....
#64 of 529 Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Finally got pics.

Almost a year old...11 1/2 months, to be exact.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...4/DSC02043.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...4/DSC02040.jpg

Pics are similar, can't seem to get a great shot with these overcast skies this morning... Little bit of a frizzball because I washed yesterday.

Loooooove it!!!
#65 of 529 Old 04-28-2008, 12:13 PM

oooh pretty!!! I love your preggo bead...

I wrapped a couple of loops in embroidery thread and 1 whole really loopy dread I have about 4 more whole dreads that could use wrapping and a about 6 single loops.....
#66 of 529 Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treqi View Post
oooh pretty!!! I love your preggo bead...
Thank you! I love her, too. She was made for me by HairyArmpits. She's even prettier in person, though - you can see so many swirls of color.
#67 of 529 Old 04-28-2008, 05:25 PM

any tips or tricks? I really don't want to do it the "natural" way though I want neat little uniform dreads and I really don't want to wait for them, any advice? has anyone backcombed in thier dreads here? (Is that considered "cheating"?)

also is it possible to color dreads with haircolor? (ie; bleaching,etc)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#68 of 529 Old 04-28-2008, 09:53 PM

Many (if not most?) of us have backcombed ours to start here...

Tips: get someone to help who knows what they are doing (or conversely, do it yourself and do a really good job!) The tighter they are backcombed, the neater they are going to look at first.

Wax is totally unnecessary, in my opinion. But some people use a tiny bit to help with frizz. Aloe also works for that and is less gunky, imo.

Bleach your hair out before you start the dreads, if you know you want to do it. You CAN bleach out dreads and color them, but it will be much easier to do it on loose hair and then touch up the roots, if you ask me. I've been putting off bleaching out my dreads for almost a year now b/c it is such a daunting task! Lish has a good site (and one of her links is on how to dye dreads). HTH!
#69 of 529 Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
any tips or tricks? I really don't want to do it the "natural" way though I want neat little uniform dreads and I really don't want to wait for them, any advice? has anyone backcombed in thier dreads here? (Is that considered "cheating"?)
I feel the same way that you do, and cheating or not, I am totally going to backcomb I know it "defeats the purpose" in some sense, but I am prepared to be a little high maintenance with my dreads
#70 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 01:14 AM

thanks mamas! I'm relieved you girls aren't going to kick me off the thread for not going the all natural route.

but I have another couple of questions. do I need some special wax or something? how do I avoid stinky dreads? do they need to be "tightened" like braids somehow as they grow? what do you do with the roots as it grows in?

I am going to try to do one tomorrow. I need to go get a teasing comb though from the beauty supply cause that makes all the difference!! Oh and I'm pretty sure I can DIY as I used to back comb old lady's hair all day long for a living and up do's,etc. oddly enough I've never encountered dreadlocks in my 12+ years of doing hair! (I no longer am in the profession for 6 years so I'm a little out of the loop) BUT I am an expert backcomber and smoothing!! woohoo! I have done braids and stuff but have never touched dreads.

anyway I used to make beaded peyote stitches for other peeps. now I will have to make one for my own hair!

#71 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 AM

Mine were backcombed. Hookahgirl and I did them together, and I've never regretted it. I wasn't in a position to go natural... Some were re-backcombed, some unravelled at the ends. It's really kinda high maintenance (to keep them together) until they start to do it on their own...then it's easy-peasy! No matter which route you go, you're going to have some serious wonks - see some of my earlier pics and posts! hehehe

I actually found a section of new hair (I'm guessing that grew from the prenatal vits) that doesn't 'belong' anywhere! Poor little section! I am going to tangle that up good today, and i think I'm going to backcomb my bangs, too. They're not even bangs, really - it's a section that's grown past my chin.

Rainbow, my responses to your questions:

1) WAX: I haven't used wax, but I have used a bit of aloe after washing if I have to be out somewhere where I want them to look tidy. I've heard some really bad things about wax, so I've steered clear of it.

2) STANK: My oldest DS told me that my hair smelled funny one day (his first comparative word was POOP , so I rinsed with apple cider vinegar and rosemary oil. Worked like a charm! The vinegar was way cloudy after I finished, so I'm sure I had some buildup in there. I think my locs were about 10m old at that point, and it was the first time I'd used the ACV. I'll probably do it again here in about a month or so.

3) TIGHTENING/ROOTS: See my first paragraph. Some of mine did get really loose - like, for several inches - so they were redone. Some of them unravelled at the ends, so they were redone. Eventually, the roots will tighten on their own, but you'll always have a little bit that is not locked - anywhere from an inch to three. Feeling around my head, mine are about an inch.

My favorite style is a french braid - I really like it, and it keeps the locs from falling in my face! I love peyote stitches! Do you have pics of some that you've made?
#72 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 PM

how long does backcombing take?

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#73 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
how long does backcombing take?
well keep in mind I have no experience in dreads (just backcoming) but in my guestimate it will be 20+ minute per dread most likely if I do it myself. it is my assumption that you need to backcomb and smooth and twist and backcomb and smooth and twist,repeat, repeat,repeat!!

now I will be : anxiously to see how long it actually takes!

#74 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM

btw how do you get over other people's disgust of dreads? I don't even have them yet and I already feel sad cause a couple peeps I told about it were like "oh...(uncomfortable silence)", I don't see what the big deal is?

#75 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 04:31 PM

DH did mine for Christmas and he used a flea comb that we bought at Walmart. Unfortunately since my hair is SO fine I only have 16 dreads total so I never wear them down. But I also felt the loops and have noticed they shrunk quite a bit. I haven't had any stinky problems and I wash every 4-5 days and only wash my scalp. As for peoples comments, I haven't had any except from my neighbors that no one likes so it wasn't an issue. When my husband tells people he dreaded my hair he does have people ask how he deals with me not washing it. He laughs and tells them I wash it. My 3 yr. old says she wants dread lock spider hair like Mommy, but she is full AA so I will be taking her to a salon to do it right.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#76 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 PM

We backcombed my hair over two days, probably 3-4 hours each day. I have @ 30 dreads +/- 5. So, I think the guesstimate of 20 minutes a dread is fairly accurate (I had two people working on my head for part of the time and they were NOT trained).

Getting over people's disgust.... hmmm... I just don't give a flying fig what other people think. That was part of the process of dreading up, for me, actually. I'd wanted dreads for YEARS but worried about the stigma/ what other people would say (and yeah, I would tell friends I was thinking about it, and they would say, "ewwww" and then I'd chicken out. This happened more than once).

And then after I had my son -- at home, on my own terms, with a LOT of negative things said (and unsaid) to me -- I realized that I am the only person in my life whose opinion about my hair matters. Literally, I realized that this is my life, my body, my hair and as long as it makes me happy, that is enough.

(I was unsure how my husband would react, actually, I was fairly sure he'd hate them. He likes dreads, but he likes mature dreads, and mine are very immature still and look crazy. He has never said one negative thing to me, he helped with the backcombing and he is proud of me for doing my own thing, I think. I think as they're getting older he likes them more, but i know he preffered me with long loose hair. That's OK. I liked it when his hair was long, too, and it isn't anymore. We love each other enough to be happy the other is happy.)

In the area where I live, most people "don't say anything if they can't say something nice" so my dreads are mostly ignored, except by my friends and teenagers (and the occasional person of color, who will comment either favorably or unfavorably).

I love them, that's what matters.
#77 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
btw how do you get over other people's disgust of dreads? I don't even have them yet and I already feel sad cause a couple peeps I told about it were like "oh...(uncomfortable silence)", I don't see what the big deal is?
From my experience, I live in a small, crappy town, with my first set of dreads I wasn't prepared for the staring, the laughs, and friends and family shunning me...It was too much for me, I ripped them out. This time though I am confident in who I am and why I have dreads. People still stare and laugh but this time I really don't care...

Eating is an agricultural act.  -Wendell Berry

#78 of 529 Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM

I just make sure they see the beaming smile on my face before they see my lovely hair! It's amazing how your own expression can soften people...
#79 of 529 Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM

Okay I've been lurking around here for awhile and figured I'd say hello.

I've recently made the commitment to locking my hair but am waiting a little bit to do so.

So here's my question for those of you that backcombed: Is it easy enough for my husband - who has no hair handling experience - to do? My biggest worry is having it done well enough to hold. He's completely supprtive of this choice but I haven't yet asked him if he'd do the honors himself.

I've checked out KnottyBoy's how-to videos on YouTube and it seems simple enough - but hey that was a pro showing how it's done.

Anyway excited to follow along in this thread!
#80 of 529 Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Hi! I'm new to MDC--i've looked at it a couple times, but have just found this tribe and the hairy mama tribe!! I feel like i've come home! ahahha I'm so excited to be able to share in like-minded conversation, cuz i feel like i'm alone in all my hippie ways so much of the time..Thanks for being here!
#81 of 529 Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 AM

Hey, guys! My DD is still loving her locks! She sometimes gets angry when I am trying to separate them, but it's nothing compared to having to brush twice a day!

I am a bit nervous for her, though. Her bio-dad is coming this weekend to visit and then she'll spend a few days with him. He hasn't seen her since last summer, and I'm nervous that he'll say something hurtful about her beautiful dreads. He's a very mainstream "good ole boy" and really not that open minded.

So I/ my dd could use some good happy thoughts! I hope he is just fine and doesn't even bring it up. DD really loves her hair and she's even excited about her little sister's mini dreads!

Mine is almost long enough, I am considering doing a little backcombing of my own! My DD sure has made it look fun.

I will post new pics soon.
#82 of 529 Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 PM

My husband and best friend backcombed mine... they did a well-enough job that (most of them) didn't fall out, but not as good a job -- by a long shot -- that a pro, or someone with any experience at al, would have done.

I wish I had suggestions.
#83 of 529 Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM

I wondered about the social stigma too and have found that I was a little under estimating of my brethren. Frankly, I feel more confident in most settings than I did with long well groomed hair. I also find that people see me as more approachable. I say this because more random people talk to me now than ever before. I work at Whole Foods Market and I constantly get people telling me that they like my dreads.
So, my conclusion is....wear them with pride and people will accept them.

I also wanted to add that I feel wearing dreads is not only a lesson for me but, one for those around me as well. I feel that when people see me they have to confront their own prejudices. It is a learning experience for everyone.
#84 of 529 Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 AM

Yeah...what MMW said!

I find the elderly make eye contact with me more and smile at me more...
#85 of 529 Old 05-02-2008, 12:48 PM

Organicsister, my DH put mine in and none had to be recombed or came out. Infact he does the maintenance too. We love it becuse it is one more way to bond. I wash every 4-5 days and when they are dry he palm rolls them with locking gel. In fact we were sitting at my older daughter's softball game and he just started palm rolling them because I had washed them earlier in the day and he was at work and couldn't put the gel in yet and he thought they looked fuzzy. It looked funny because even though he is a hippie too he has to wear a tie to work because he has a corporate level job and everyone who didn't know us was looking at us funny because there he sat in his good clothes and tie palm rolling my dread locks while I am wearing a tie dye, jeans and knitting

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#86 of 529 Old 05-02-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

buddhamom, that's hillarious!
my DP is also pretty clean-cut, so we make a funny pair some times

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#87 of 529 Old 05-02-2008, 07:15 PM

hi everyone....sooo i have wanted dreads for at least 10 years, and never had the guts to go for it.
I need some encouragement, as i would be the only person in my area with dreads, and advice. I think i may be ready to take the plunge...and dh told me to go for it. I have hair that is almost midway down my back, shorter in the front though (bangs growing out)
i am mostly afraid of having to cut my hair all off when i decide to get rid of them, however many years down the road that may be.
Talk me into it ladies!

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#88 of 529 Old 05-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbomumof3 View Post
hi everyone....sooo i have wanted dreads for at least 10 years, and never had the guts to go for it.
I need some encouragement, as i would be the only person in my area with dreads, and advice. I think i may be ready to take the plunge...and dh told me to go for it. I have hair that is almost midway down my back, shorter in the front though (bangs growing out)
i am mostly afraid of having to cut my hair all off when i decide to get rid of them, however many years down the road that may be.
Talk me into it ladies!

I am at the same point you are. I want them, just no one else has them near me (I have seen only a handful of peeps in my immediette area with dreads and they were likely passing through!) also I don't want to cut my hair off! but then again it's just hair!

anyway I should just do it and stop talking about it!

#89 of 529 Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 PM

Remember, though, that it's not something that anyone else can talk you into. It's gotta be that feeling in your gut, that you want to express yourself this way, that you want the world to know there's so much more to you than shiny, styled hair.

Doing this has made me remember who I am...I feel like I was suffocated for so long, but now I'm home! And trust me, I don't fit in in my 'hood, in my family, in DH's family, etc. but, I really don't care. I like who I am when I'm strong enough to express that I'm a little bit different than the average Lori. The people who love me are the people who accept me and appreciate me, no matter what I look like!
#90 of 529 Old 05-03-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
I am at the same point you are. I want them, just no one else has them near me (I have seen only a handful of peeps in my immediette area with dreads and they were likely passing through!) also I don't want to cut my hair off! but then again it's just hair!

anyway I should just do it and stop talking about it!
rainbowmoon, i'm in tucson and DYING for dreads but i'm terrified of doing it myself. we should get together

im not worried about people not liking them. a lot of why i want them is to buck yet another idea of what i *should* look like according to society.

blogging.jpg 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page