Dread~head mid-2008 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 529 Old 05-11-2008, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i feel so drawn to having dreads and have wanted them for a very long time but it never felt like the right time for me to have them. and now i am feeling like it is closer and closer to the right time. that sounds sort of funny but i am odd when it comes to my hair. i wanted a shaved head for a long time then one day i knew it was the right time and i shaved my head. my hair is longer now than it has been in over ten years. armpit length and i am realizing the reason i feel so drawn at this point is related to the way i felt when i gave birth to my son. i feel like i got in touch with a very old part of myself when i was in labor. the reptile mind stuff i read about describes it. i felt primitive and anciant and dreads feel like a very old very natural way to have ones hair. anyhow i am realizing it is still not the right time for me to have dreadlocks because i have a 6 month old who keeps me way to busy to back comb them and the neglect method is not going to work for me but maybe in the fall or winter it will be the right time. anyhow i am going to keep lurking here if thats ok.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 529 Old 05-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Yeah, i backcombed them in, and used knotty boy dread waw b/c my hair is really straight. My hair was pretty long, the dreads are between my shoulders and armpits,(layered hair)
It took from about 9 pm til 2 am to do them, then ds woke up, so i nursed him. Then he wouldnt go back to sleep. SO this morning i waxed them again and used the blowdryer to melt the wax in. THey look pretty good, not very tight yet but i didn't really expect that since my hair is straight. I'm excited to see them mature. I think i did a pretty good job on placement and all considering i did it all myself, i had no one to help me since everyone i asked thinks they are weird and therefore wouldnt help me.:
seriously, dh is the only person who is supporting me in this, although he is the only one i really care about what he thinks either
I feel sooo - me now. Like i look like who i am - ya know?

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#123 of 529 Old 05-11-2008, 11:46 PM

Ok, I am having a bit of a time tonight, ladies!

I picked up my DD today. Her gramma picked her up from her dad's yesterday, then had her overnight, and I got to get her home today - for the first time in a whole week!
Anyway.. She kept saying how StepMom kept trying to take out one of her dreads!

I said: Oh, like comb it out?
DD: No, like TAKE it out, mom.
Me: You mean, the string?
DD: yeah.. no. She tried to take it out, but she couldn't.

So I gave up eventually and figured StepMom had tried to take out the string or something, and DD just wasn't sure. Anyhow, she goes on about how she told her not to, that she wasn't suppose to do that, etc..

Get her ready for bed, take her ponytail down and right at the crown of DD's head of Beautiful Dreads is a brushed (and highly softened, perfumed) former dread.

Ugh. So. Not only did they use mega conditioner, which they agreed not to use, they tried to comb out a beautiful dread against my DD's will!

These are Not My Dreads. I didn't do them for me. DD wanted them for a long time, and she loves them so much. She wants them always, although I do expect she'll change her mind about that someday.

It's just so.. rude. And disrespectful. DD ASKED her not to. She even told me that she told Step Mom it was "wrong to do".

Ugh. Send me some peace and strength. I am not upset about the dread, really, although it will be tough to get all that hair out of the rest of her dreads! I am just upset that they really don't listen to DD at all when she is there. I have always known it, but this is just so blatant.
#124 of 529 Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 AM

that really sucks wonderma, no matter the age of the person everyone is entitled to express themselves as they wish. It is very disrespectful for them to do something she specifically asked them not to. My dd1 is very proud of her long red hair, and would be devestated if someone tried to change it. (although she expressed an interest in dreads when i showed her some pics, i've told her to wait and see if she likes mine)
i hope you can talk to them (or your dd can) and that they will never do that again. They need to respect her choice of hair style.

#125 of 529 Old 05-12-2008, 10:13 AM

Well, here's a pic of DD from last night with her hair up.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=IMG_6111.jpg

I am still pretty mad at her Dad and SM, but I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet.
#126 of 529 Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 AM

Her dreads a gorgeous - so sorry you're dealing with this from the SM

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I had been hoping to recruit a few friends to help with my dreads, but seeing as they're all way too busy (or out of the country), I'm gearing up to do them myself next week over the course of a few days. Woo-hoo! :
#127 of 529 Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 AM

domesticzookeeper, it's just so frustrating! Her Dad shows up once a year, at best, and hardly ever calls. I really worked hard to make sure he had a lot of freedom with DD's care, picking her up and having her for a few days without me being too involved, etc.. and that's hard for me!

Then they just go and prove that they will point blank lie, I mean.. what else are they lying about?
#128 of 529 Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 AM

her dreads are lovely! she looks soo cute

#129 of 529 Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 PM

I did it!

My friend bailed out on us so my sweet, sweet hubby spent 14 hours on my hair all by himself! I'm actually really glad it was just the two of us. Sort of a bonding experience ~ we felt so much more connected. And he did soooo good. He worked for a really long time on the roots so hopefully they'll hold really well.

Here's my blog entry on it and my Flickr set.

We used Knotty Boy's wax but I don't think I'll use much more of it. I feel icky with it - although that could be because my hair dryer died right as I started to melt the dreads. When should I attempt my first shampoo?

The best part was the recant by my sister. Her initial reaction when I told her what I planned to do was pretty close to "disgusted". But when she saw the pics she loved them!

As katbomumof3 said, I feel so "me" now too! SO happy and free and confident and just ME!
#130 of 529 Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM

oh you look so cute! love the little sections!

btw tell me more about melting wax into your dreads. what is the purpose? how did you apply it and lso how much did you use? (per dread) I am starting to think I may need a little cause my hair is so fine..but it is kind of curly/nappy, so not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
I did it!

My friend bailed out on us so my sweet, sweet hubby spent 14 hours on my hair all by himself! I'm actually really glad it was just the two of us. Sort of a bonding experience ~ we felt so much more connected. And he did soooo good. He worked for a really long time on the roots so hopefully they'll hold really well.

Here's my blog entry on it and my Flickr set.

We used Knotty Boy's wax but I don't think I'll use much more of it. I feel icky with it - although that could be because my hair dryer died right as I started to melt the dreads. When should I attempt my first shampoo?

The best part was the recant by my sister. Her initial reaction when I told her what I planned to do was pretty close to "disgusted". But when she saw the pics she loved them!

As katbomumof3 said, I feel so "me" now too! SO happy and free and confident and just ME!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#131 of 529 Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
oh you look so cute! love the little sections!

btw tell me more about melting wax into your dreads. what is the purpose? how did you apply it and lso how much did you use? (per dread) I am starting to think I may need a little cause my hair is so fine..but it is kind of curly/nappy, so not sure.
Well I'm by no means an expert but it's suppose to help hold the dread together. We used a very small amount, maybe pea-sized or slightly bigger, worked it in with finger-tips and then palm-rolled it in. Your suppose to then heat it up with the blowdryer to "melt it" in some more and work it into the dread, but to be honest working wax into my dreads kinda worries me (I don't want it to gunky), so maybe it's better my blow dryer died.
#132 of 529 Old 05-19-2008, 06:20 PM

OrganicSister - I checked out your flickr and your dreads look FABULOUS. Really, really awesome job

I'm starting mine tomorrow
#133 of 529 Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 PM

I went to a bluegrass festival this weekend and met a lady with long, beautiful dreads! They were extentions, and she makes them herself, but it was still awesome to see someone else around here with them! (There was another girl with real dreads hanging around, but I never got up the nerve to talk to her, lol).

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#134 of 529 Old 05-19-2008, 09:41 PM

thanks for the info. Does the wax feel greasy? I assume not..I wouldn't worry too much though, doesn't sound like you used too much anyway! (if you did I think you would know it by now! )

btw, I'd probably wait a few days to wash your hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
Well I'm by no means an expert but it's suppose to help hold the dread together. We used a very small amount, maybe pea-sized or slightly bigger, worked it in with finger-tips and then palm-rolled it in. Your suppose to then heat it up with the blowdryer to "melt it" in some more and work it into the dread, but to be honest working wax into my dreads kinda worries me (I don't want it to gunky), so maybe it's better my blow dryer died.

#135 of 529 Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM

I saw a dready couple at the grocery store today- I have my eyes peeled for dreadies now, lol. And this wasn't even a place where you'd expect to see them! (It was Meijer)- I've had a dread sighting at our local health food store, and once at a store called the Magic Bus (It's a pot shop ), but this was the first time in "normal" company.
#136 of 529 Old 05-20-2008, 12:00 AM

The Magic Bus love it!

I know what you mean though, I get excited when I see dready folk around here..

I think I will put mine in around my bday (mid July) we'll see..

#137 of 529 Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
thanks for the info. Does the wax feel greasy? I assume not..I wouldn't worry too much though, doesn't sound like you used too much anyway! (if you did I think you would know it by now! )

btw, I'd probably wait a few days to wash your hair!
I think it feels greasy but my hubby doesn't. ?? I want to wash it out personally but I'm afraid of how much of the backcombing will fall out. It doesn't seem like it's as backcombed as much as we worked on it.

I usually only wash my hair twice a week anyway so I'm going to wait as long as possible to wash. I did some more palm rolling today and even backcombed a few places. Do I need to be palm rolling all the time for awhile?
#138 of 529 Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 AM

I use the Knotty Boy locking gel. It is all natural with no buildup. I never used wax for two reasons 1) I am vegan and 2) I heard a lot of bad things about it from these Mamas here. Good luck to all the newly knotted Mamas

When do these babies stop shrinking? When I started 6 mo. ago my hair was mid back, now some of them I can't even pull back into a ponytail and the rest are shoulder length. And i still have two that refuse to lay down *LOL*

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#139 of 529 Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM

Heya dready mamas I have lurked here for AGES...think I may have even posted once, but got a bad trim during my first attempt to grow my hair out and gave up on my dready dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
I saw a dready couple at the grocery store today- I have my eyes peeled for dreadies now, lol. And this wasn't even a place where you'd expect to see them! (It was Meijer)- I've had a dread sighting at our local health food store, and once at a store called the Magic Bus (It's a pot shop ), but this was the first time in "normal" company.
I've been spotting dreads EVERYWHERE for a long time now... was very helpful in getting hubby 'on board' as he was a bit about my wanting dreads at first hehehe. It helped for him to see that dreads aren't 'nasty & dirty' things and that they are gorgeous! At one point at a mall in a somewhat 'upper class' area (a few suburbs over from where we live in normalville we spotted a dready hairpiece & wig even, which was surprising... then we rounded a corner and there was a guy with the most awesome dreads I've seen yet.

It will be a fair while yet before I can actually get dready, as my hair is fairly short : (the hair at the back of my neck is only 3ish inches long thanks to that 'trim') but I'm here soakin up the dready vibes

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#140 of 529 Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM

i thought the wax felt icky too. But when i washed my hair, it came out, i've used it once since, and its not so bad. I rebackcomed a bit today, b/c they seemed loose, and i'm very fuzzy right now! But i've gotten good comments anyhow

#141 of 529 Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 PM

Hey there, my knotty sisters!
It's wonderful to "see" and hear from all the new dready mamas! Keep those pictures coming!
Organic sister, I loved seeing your flickr pics, your locks look lovely! Have we met before? Via a blog or something? I checked out your blog briefly today and noticed we have the same name but spelled differently! How great that your man helped you lock up! You need to give that guy a massage or something, that's a lot of work!

Katbomumof3~I hear you on the fuzzies...I'm still super fuzzy (especially after washing) and it's been 10 months since I began this journey! I think it depends a lot on hair type. Mine is blonde and super fine....but my mama friend who began this dready process with me and has black, course, curly hair, isn't fuzzy at all anymore....go figure! Trying to embrace the fuzz.....

Buddhamom~ Good question about the shrinking...I think you and I started about the same time and then you took yours out and started again later or something....Mine are still shrinking up and evolving all the time....Mine were mid back when I started and now, like you, some are too short for the ponytail and the majority are shoulder length, but the wispy ends are all starting to curl up onto the dready part, making me think that before too much longer, I'll have chin length locks....who knows how that will look....do you have any of that going on? I'd love to see progress pics of your head, mama!

Okay, well welcome again to all the new mamas and a big hey to all you veterans!

"we are more than just our hair!" (and I don't know about all of you, but I have way more to busy myself with in a day than fixing my hair!)

Luvin you all!

http://www.getknotty.blogspot.com

p.s. Oh, and I'm subbing so I can find my way back more easily...I'm so untechie!! Can't believe I'm only figuring this out now....
#142 of 529 Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 AM

Hey, mama! You're blog is neato...the calorimetry came out lovely!

I have a fuzz halo. I keep waiting for the hairs to work themselves in, but it's just not happening. Thinking of a wool headsock to make the hairs love their way into the dreads... Anyone know of a knit pattern for a head sock? I have so much wool in my knitting chest! Otherwise, I'd head right over to Etsy...and still might.

Mine turned a year on May 18th!
#143 of 529 Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Hey mamas -

I dreaded my hair yesterday. The roots are pretty crazy and going in all different directions, but I think the dreadies themselves are looking pretty good

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emilymi...7605177219549/
#144 of 529 Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 AM

domesticzookeeper, your locks look awesome!
#145 of 529 Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
howdy mamas, I lost track of you for a bit! I'm baack!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#146 of 529 Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM

MamaBear,
A wool headsock is a great idea to get those fuzzies under control...let me know if you find a pattern for one! Congrats too on the one year anni!!!!

Welcome aboard Domestic Zookeeper! Your locks are lovely!!
#147 of 529 Old 05-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Hey what do all you ladies use for washing your hair? i used to no poo with bs, but that seems like it won't be a good idea now
i make my own castille bar soap....can i use that?
btw, my cousin who i hardly ever see just stopped by, and raved about my hair
made me feel good, since most ppl don't like it around here, although i've had some good comments from teenagers and the like in the past few days... and my MIL likes it, she's cool

#148 of 529 Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hell yes you can use castille bar soap. How old are yours? Mine are pretty old by now and I can use about whatever I want as long as it doesn't have any conditioner.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#149 of 529 Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 PM

I alternate between no-pooing (with baking soda and vinegar) and a 1/2 Dreadhead HQ shampoo 1/2 water mixture (only b/c I spent the money on the shampoo, I might as well use it!). When I'm out I'll go back to no-pooing alone.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#150 of 529 Old 05-22-2008, 09:53 AM

Thats good to know, b/c i'm a cheapo, and like to use stuff i make myself
Mine aren't quite 2 weeks old yet, so i've only washed once, with my castile bar soap, and a nylon on my head. It worked nice, i just wanted to make sure it was going to be okay to keep doing
i went outside this morning before i tamed my dreads down, they were huge right after getting out of bed...sooooo fuzzy. And of course my neighbors dog runs over here, so she comes to get him.
I felt sooo pretty in my pj's with breastmilk stains on them, with my dreads all over the place.
Peace ladies:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page